iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Weather 2021

Started by Ianab, December 31, 2020, 11:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Could be wild raisin. I had a thinning block last fall full of them, but we was told we didn't have to cut them unless over topping a spruce.

Tonight just coming dark, 3 ruffed grouse went into the jack pine in the back yard for the night, probably been 15 minutes ago since this post. That makes 5 I've seen today. ;D

Nice sunset with a moon over the house tonight.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 10, 2021, 04:40:53 PM
Could be wild raisin. I had a thinning block last fall full of them, but we was told we didn't have to cut them unless over topping a spruce.

Tonight just coming dark, 3 ruffed grouse went into the jack pine in the back yard for the night, probably been 15 minutes ago since this post. That makes 5 I've seen today. ;D

Nice sunset with a moon over the house tonight.

A1

SwampDonkey

Resembles some kind of huckleberry.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nebraska

Low was the lower 20's blowing really hard. Gusts in the 50 mph range on the Missouri River bottom..  Spitting snow no real accumulation. Just crummy crappy weather a foreshadowing of what's coming soon.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: HemlockKing on November 11, 2021, 10:37:44 AM

@HemlockKing Gaylussacia baccata or black huckleberry. Should see yellow resin dots on the leaves, more prominent on the underside of the leaf. Edible. Grows under softwoods on acidic soil. Had to dig out some 30 year old shrub identification notes.

HemlockKing

The stuff is everywhere and seems to grow up to 5 foot, I will take a couple more pictures just to be sure, black buckle berry looks right from the google pictures I see, but still some slight variances.  There are 2 other species of bushes that takes over, I have acres and acres of these bushes taken over ridges and only the odd tree here and there, if I level this stuff with a clearing saw hopefully it will allow some actual tree regeneration, unless they grow back faster than the saplings and seedlings. I hate these things, makes walking through the woods a pain 
A1

SwampDonkey

Used to fish in forest land with a lot of heath species, some neck high. The good thing for walking was the old caribou trails that the white tailed deer kept open along the lake shores. You could tell them trails was very old. Now I suppose they are all grown up, not much for deer now, like there was back 40 years ago. The good old days. ;D

SwampDonkey

@HemlockKing File attached from my shrub ID notes.

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 13, 2021, 09:00:12 AM
@HemlockKing File attached from my shrub ID notes.
Thank you for your time and help,
Much appreciated. 
A1

HemlockKing

Not sure c farm
Has any rocks that compare
To this one lol 
A1

HemlockKing

It was as big as a cabin maybe, in the middle it had split apart and made a perfect
Little shelter/den. If only I knew this spot when I was a kid
A1

HemlockKing

A1

SwampDonkey

62F here today with sun all day and now the moon is up. ;D

SwampDonkey

Winter is over, spring is here. Willow flowers are coming out. ;D

thecfarm

I don't have any rocks that will keep me dry when it rains.  :) 
You might have me beat on size, well above ground anyways.  ;D Most that I have are above ground 3-4 feet. No idea what is below ground.  :o  Had to call in the blasting crew to get the foundation in. One corner was a biggum.
Some spots of the grown up pasture, I can't fit a five foot bush hog through.
I'm tearing apart one stone wall now. I'm trying to give some rocks that are 4-5 feet across away. Only about 30 feet from the road, easy excess. If I had a way to move them big ones, they would be up in the bog.
The rain is over, for now. Rained hard. Sun came out today, nice warm day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HemlockKing

Ain't moving this one rock to any bog!!! Not even a dozer !! It's funny, I've never been this excited of just a rock....but I have never seen a rock this big just ....sitting alone in the middle of the woods? And the den is a added bonus, I'll definitely be visiting there every now and then, it's right off my property line(in my land), I don't know but I might make some carvings inside the den like "hemlock was here 2021" etc lol , since I can guarantee that rock will be there for at least like 10000 years.... Homo sapien historical drawings 2000 years from now lol 
A1

HemlockKing

Why tearing the stone wall away? I think a good stone wall is a indicator of how hard the folks worked to make that field level and clear of rocks
A1

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 13, 2021, 03:46:42 PM
Winter is over, spring is here. Willow flowers are coming out. ;D.....
If you believe that (and I don't think you do) then you are going to be sorely disappointed in the next few weeks. :D ;D :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: HemlockKing on November 13, 2021, 05:22:17 PM
Ain't moving this one rock to any bog!!! Not even a dozer !! It's funny, I've never been this excited of just a rock....but I have never seen a rock this big just ....sitting alone in the middle of the woods? And the den is a added bonus, I'll definitely be visiting there every now and then, it's right off my property line(in my land), I don't know but I might make some carvings inside the den like "hemlock was here 2021" etc lol , since I can guarantee that rock will be there for at least like 10000 years.... Homo sapien historical drawings 2000 years from now lol
I think I get it. We have those all over here in one form or another. If I cross the road and walk about 500' I can find several of those, most are part of a cliff face with an undercut forming a shallow cave. SOme are deep enough that I would not venture in during hibernation season. ;D Many are cut stone from the bluestone quarrying days a century ago which aer all along my road. They would cut slabd off the shelves that were sometime 20' high and re-cut them into 4x6' slabs to move out ont he stone boats. 
 But if you don't see stuff like that in your area, I sure do get it, and it's alway neat to find a place to get out of the rain. Cooler in the summer too. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

HemlockKing

There is quite a bit of boulders here, but yeah... never seen one that's half as high as the full grown trees around it... lol i guess the glaciers just melted and dropped it in its place, and sometime after that it also split 4 ways but is still together enough to form one big rock, I wonder when it would of split, I'd reckon it would need a extreme temperature jump to cause that, so not anytime within the past thousands of years... what a noise it made I bet when it did split 
A1

thecfarm

This will be Number 4 that is being hauled off. I worked around these walls for more than 40 years. Cut bushes by hand around 2 of these walls way too many times. Stone walls take time to mow around and trim around. Than rocks are always falling off them and need to be put back on. I want 5 years of my life back.  :D
And yes you are right, they worked hard on those walls.
But I do need something to get me across that bog. A layer of rock 2-3 feet deep works!!!!! Might even be 4 feet deep in a few places.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Well, I wish it would stop raining, so the yard would dry up, and I can get the roof on the hot rod house ;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

My dad moved a mountain of rocks here, field stones. He made a causeway about 300 feet long across an area with lots of springs. Basically a source of a stream. He surrounded two spring holes on two different farms with rocks to drive on and get water with a pump. One of them I kept trout in and the water level only changed when he drew water from it. ;D It would fill back in from the spring. Turned out not to be too good for fish because the water lacked enough oxygen, needed an agitator in the water to make it move like waves or falls in a brook to get oxygen in. Still water is pretty much dead water to fish. Then there are several yards of farm roads that crossed other springs or wet runs that got built up with rocks. There's several natural dips and gullies on field edge that are filled up with rocks. Along the border there is a stretch of rock 10 feet deep or more and 300 feet long with field rocks, on sloping ground. The little creek behind grandmother's has rocks placed along the banks to keep the cattle from tearing up the banks. More than a couple buildings with field rocks under the foundation. Driveway at the house is build up 5 feet deep with rocks, no big heavy truck going through that driveway. I levelled it off on the inside curve of the driveway with dirt (and rock) from the foundations. It's shaped like a horse shoe, drive in one end and out the other. Rocks are useful, just need to find out a use. Not too hard to find one. ;D

Well it's 38F this morning and raining again. I wouldn't rule out snow on the hills. ;D

thecfarm

Looks like your Father got me beat on hauling rocks. But I have a few more years of hauling.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Rocks, keep chipping away and hauling around. :D

Thank You Sponsors!