Sponsors:

The Weather 2021

Started by Ianab, December 31, 2020, 11:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

I take free whatever whenever I can lol
A1

Old Greenhorn

A very strange and notable 36 hour weather period here. Friday was normal seasonal temps and condx, but after midnight it began a temp rise all through the day as a warm front pushed by that storm line came through. It hit a high of around 60° at 10:30 last night, then switched and began to drop, getting to 36° at 6:20 this morning. The winds were a-whippin' along last night peaking over 30MPH and lots of outages around. I am surprised we got through with lights. This morning they are still resolving damage. FD's in some towns were running ragged trying to keep up with road closures and down trees. I listened to one EMS call where the ambulance was 4 minutes from the location and had to turn around because of trees across the road. The only alternate route took them 20 miles around the reservoir. That job and many others were compromised because several of the county communications towers were being taken out by the very high winds on those peaks. So the dispatchers were going a little crazy also, loosing contact with many PD and FD units in the field. I am sure the dispatcher who retired just hours before this all hit was home wishing he could help. It's rare we loose any tower, let alone more than one and that requires a trip up the mountain to assess and repair which can often require special equipment just to 'get there'. Not a quick fix, for sure and when it happens at the height of battle it puts everyone in bad shape and tests their ability to think outside the box. Hopefully everyone got through it without injury. I do hope that EMS call was routine, I didn't hear the original dispatch and only perked up when I heard the stress in the Drivers voice. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and know the feeling.
 Sunny day today and the winds are calmed pretty much down.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Al_Smith

Typical Ohio yesterday .Rose to 60 day time dropped to 32 last night .It's 38 now .The wind blew and I have 500 feet of drive way to clean up .Limbs every where .Danged self pruning soft maples ,humbug .About two hours with a small chainsaw should get-er-done .

wisconsitom

Made it up to the tree farm near Suring yesterday.  MUCH more snow than I'd expected.  Must've had around 15 inches, and with a farm field across the road and to our north, we can get significant drifting too.  But this was just heavy snow on the level.  Spent the entire day on the tractor moving snow.  we couldn't drive in initially and had to leave the truck out on the road.

Managed to nearly get the tractor stuck way back in  the boonies.  Have nice outhouse down there in the cedar trees and wanted to clear path.  Path gets too narrow down by woods and slopes off to sides pretty steep.  I managed to get one front wheel angled down in a muddy hole, with the drive rear wheel free-spinning in mid-air.  Did some bucket-pushing but with no drive wheels touching the ground, did not do it.

No genius here, but I did eventually remember that I have rear diff. lock!  Duh....with help of bucket push and that, was able to back out of that hole.  Messed my trail up in that area, but at least my tractor is not now a permanent part of the woods there!  Would have been tough spot to get to with rescue vehicle.  Maybe come-along.  Anyway, did get out of that spot.  Lots of snow!
Ask me about hybrid larch!

SwampDonkey

Still green this morning here and 32F. Overcast day, no wind. Tomorrow is set for sun and in the 30's, Wednesday night into Thursday more rain, mainly as showers.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Wow what a beautiful sunset lol i mean brush pile burn …
A1

Ljohnsaw

This is the traffic cam just below (500' lower elevation) then my cabin project - light snow flurries:

There's a foot or two there.  The cameras further up the hill are all out of order right now ::)  The next one up is a few miles past my project but at the same elevation.  I was supposed to see 48" last night.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

HemlockKing

Looks pretty while it's coming down but as soon as it stops I've had enough of it! 
A1

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: HemlockKing on December 14, 2021, 07:38:21 PM
Looks pretty while it's coming down but as soon as it stops I've had enough of it!
I go one step further, as soon as it starts coming down I've had enough of it. For me it just means more work and I have other stuff to do. The only good thing is that mud season ends for a time.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

SwampDonkey

Still green here and more rain coming in tomorrow. But it is 18F this morning. Some glad I have a warm house and not out in a thin walled tent in it whiteflag_smiley yikes_smiley, because it has been colder outdoors here already. fire_smiley

Meanwhile a virus keeps everyone occupied, both mentally and verbally.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on December 14, 2021, 08:49:37 PM
Quote from: HemlockKing on December 14, 2021, 07:38:21 PM
I go one step further, as soon as it starts coming down I've had enough of it. For me it just means more work and I have other stuff to do. The only good thing is that mud season ends for a time.
I was so ready for the last storm, I didn't half to shovel or use a atv to plow, had the tractor with fel and in the safety of a cab from the snow. Was like a kid on Christmas morning got up up 5am and had a blast not having to do much except play with hydraulic joy sticks lol 
A1

Old Greenhorn

Well, we all know it's coming and some already have 'it'. It's just a question of when. In recent years I have been able to run the mill with varying levels of comfort until around the 2nd week of January, then it's a mad dash to finish up before the 1st snow with staying power hits. The first year I had the mill (January 2019) I was loading trailers and pulling boards and tools to run them up outta the woods and into the shop for winter work. I finished just around dark as the snow started coming down and by the next morning we were done until April.
 As others said, this year seems a little warmer. Yesterday I was running the mill in a sweatshirt and the day before was the same or warmer, but when the sun got behind the hill around 4-4:30pm it cooled off quick.

So now I check the weather every morning and look at the forecast for the coming days, then try to pick the best days for each given task on the list. Looks like we have some snow coming in Saturday morning, but temps in the mid-30's so I don't see a real threat, just mush. With the warmer temps this last week, the ground has softened up again. We may get rain this evening and it should be cooler today with increasing cloud cover as the day goes on and the temp climbs again. The forecast shows it climbing right through the night and tomorrow looks to be a great day for milling with sun and 45°. Then the decline into the weekend. This time of year, it's all about the weather.

28° here now with a high of 40 for the daytime coming. It's cool enough that I think I will stay home and work on this firewood log pile that just got huge. ;D

wisconsitom

Possible record high temp today, of near 60F.  Thunderstorms are possible, and howling winds.  Sheesh, I'd rather it stayed cold and we kept the snow.

@HemlockKing:  I agree, a day spent on the tractor moving snow is a good day!

SwampDonkey

Thermometer hasn't budged yet and it's 10:00 am @ 18F. I just came in from the woodlot. The bears have been busy, climbing spruce and white cedar, bending them down to get cones. The cedar break off, the spruce bend to the ground, all clawed up, so it ain't snow or heavy rain. Bear doo doo everywhere full of corn. They must think they are red squirrels I guess. :D

Nebraska

Over 70 and uncomfortably humid. In December?!? Anyway it led to a bit of weather. 

Well we had a freak storm outbreak and  
I have a bit of a mess to deal with. Minor damage to the house. Broken window and some fascia torn off.  Outbuildings a little tougher. Need a new garage door for the shop..  Weve got (well had) a 20ft  lined corn crib  blown into the
 grove and pieces strung out across the neighbors field. Got lucky could've been worse. Power is back on here but I've heard of lots of powet poles broken. We had some reported tornadoes and winds at 75mph. The storm cells traveled at 65mph just crazy. Felt like a sticky mid May day. Just happy it wasn't worse.

firefighter ontheside

I saw that there was severe weather going across Nebraska.  I'm glad your damage is not worse, but I"m sorry that you have to deal with any.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

thecfarm

The ground is white here now. But will change to rain by daylight.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Walnut Beast

You got that right! Glad your safe! Eagle Fire & Rescue reported 93 mph wind by us. Power was out but it's back on after several hours. It was very very intense 

Gary_C

That storm just flew thru MN at about 70 MPH and that was traveling speed. We got a county wide cell phone warning and went to the basement only because it was dark and could not see what was coming. After about five minutes it was gone two counties to the east. But now behind the fierce winds are making a mess. Wife had a metal frame of a gazebo on the deck and it blew it over plus I've heard two things hit the roof. Probably nothing more serious than the old TV antenna and maybe an old satellite dish. There was a tornado earlier just to the south west of us so it may have lifted over us as the storm was moving so fast.

So now MN has had its first tornado in December along with record high temperatures.  
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Walnut Beast

Glad you were safe Gary! Better to be cautious than not since this very strange weather has been pretty nasty

SwampDonkey

Wow, talk about some freakish weather out there. :o

Light snow here this morning, suppose to turn to rain later today, then warm Friday around 40'ish. Then snow blizzard Saturday into Sunday. Weeee!! :D :D

Nebraska

Wife and I, the cats and the lab were in the basement as well. They had put us in a tornado warning.  Heard it hit and like Gary said five minutes or so it had lessened. It was  really intense wind. My neighbors  within  a mile had no damage to speak of, but a farmplace  north and east of us a couple miles lost outbuildings.  The corn leaves stuck in the section   fence  and wrapped in the power lines make me wonder. Mostly because it wasn't the whole  place full of corn shucks that field is 150  yards to the south.. ??? 

doc henderson

we had some wind, and flickers with seconds at a time power out.  down the road, it was out for hours.  William had a friend come over for a while to charge his phone and hang, since his house was without power.  I called off a couple older visitors, as it seems the wind gusts could blow a person over if they were a bit unstable on their feet.  here are the leaves being held on the trampoline safety net by the wind.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

HemlockKing

You use that trampoline doc lol 

I tried one again recently and felt very uncomfortable from gravity feeling on the internals. Not like when I was a kid and back slammed down into them back up to standing lol 
A1

wisconsitom

Heavy fog yesterday-3 trucks crashed into a freight train in Marinette County.  Actually 2 were stopped and I believe it was unfortunately a log truck that then slammed into these 2, pushing first guy into train.  Fatality.

We had 65F at midnite!  Crazy winds, not much precip here, but more up north.  Now just going to get cold.  There are places up north that have been below zero already this year, that were looking at 60F degrees yesterday/last night.  Rhinelander had 76 MPH wind gust.

Thank You Sponsors!