iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Veggie Garden 2021

Started by SwampDonkey, June 05, 2021, 01:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Here we go. 8)

Friday I put in the squash, beans, cukes, beats, lettuce, dill, radish, basal. I have row cover over the beans and squash. And.......39 bells and jalapenos went in and were staked this morning. 8)

Went to the brook with the water wagon and put 25 gallons of water on the peppers. Ground ain't dry, but good to water the sets in. :)

And a week earlier the carrots and parsnips went in. And 2 weeks ago the onions went in.

Next weekend the tomatoes will go in. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

After a little water last night, I see the carrots breaking ground today. :)  Parsnip take a while longer.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

so how long are you growing the peppers indoors?  
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Just got my peppers into the wind tunnel and black plastic down on the ground. Those peppers grow like corn. I put the 33 inch tomato cages around my peppers. Sometimes they will grow taller than the cage. If I don't use cages the plants will fall over. We did downsize this year!! Only about 30 peppers plants and just about the same on tomatoes.
Lots of flowers this year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Quote from: mike_belben on June 06, 2021, 10:48:44 PM
so how long are you growing the peppers indoors?  
They take a while to germinate Mike, 2 to 4 weeks. Then it was about 3 months. ;D

Stakes and cotton string is cheap and easy. ;D Just some sticks I cut last year when thinning while cutting down firewood. Hardwood, mainly on the bank of the road that need cut back. Good and stiff, maple and ash.

BradMarks

I have no pics so it hasn't happened, but...yesterday was harvest artichokes, asparagus, lettuce and peas. 

newoodguy78

Anyone else watering yet?

HemlockKing

SD, I take it you don't have many white tail deer around... as they would probably forage on that nice garden! 
A1

SwampDonkey

@HemlockKing Maybe 3 deer in a year. :D

That being said a moose walked bye the garden, not in it, seen his tracks up through my yellow birch trees. :D

@newoodguy78  Yes, I put 25 gallons of water on the peppers tonight with the wagon. Might get rain first of next week, Mon-Wednesday, if you can believe the weather app. ;)

21incher

Finally got a half inch of rain yesterday. Watered for weeks now. Not really garden related but we had a praying mantis sac hatch and I caught the tail end on video
Praying Mantis Babies Hatching - YouTube
Hope some make it to the garden. A little shaky because there wasn't time to set up a tripod.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

21incher

Quote from: HemlockKing on June 09, 2021, 03:44:16 PM
SD, I take it you don't have many white tail deer around... as they would probably forage on that nice garden!

I have a herd in my yard every year and use milorganite that kept them away till last year. We had a rogue deer that wasn't afraid of people that jumped the fence several times and I had to go higher. Hunting season fixed that problem.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

newoodguy78

@MooseHerder 25 gallons is such a good comfortable amount  :D
The weather apps are the reason those sprinklers were running  ;)

newoodguy78

Pickling Cukes,melons and squash coming along nicely 

thecfarm

Oh yea, I'm a watering. I did do some by hand for a while. I got the sprinkler going now. When I plant I like to give the garden some water. Get the seeds going faster I feel. But saying that, my Father had a garden across the road with no running water over there. Yes, we would carry water from the hand dug well for the transplants, but most years we did not water after that. That garden always did well and kept 6 people well fed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

I was until a swampy spell hit.  Been a lot of rain for a week.  Looks like quite a bit more to go.
Praise The Lord

newoodguy78

@thecfarm  I'm very new at this vegetable deal but I do feel the smaller the seed the sooner they need water after planting. Irrigation on a large scale is a lot of work but seeing the plants respond to your efforts is really nice 

newoodguy78

Quote from: mike_belben on June 09, 2021, 09:54:28 PM
I was until a swampy spell hit.  Been a lot of rain for a week.  Looks like quite a bit more to go.
We don't need swampy but if you sent a bit up here it would be appreciated  :D Every "storm" has parted and gone around us

SwampDonkey

Nice looking plants @newoodguy78 .

I checked under the row covers this afternoon and the beans are up. I never looked at the squash rows, but I assume they are up to. The beets are breaking ground and so are the cukes. I will be watering the gardens Saturday from creek water. Saying showers Sunday for Houlton. :) Weather app still calling for rain first part of next week.

Usually we never water here and stuff germinates just fine, but last 4 years have been dry early. Although this year we had lots of rain in May.

And yes, water makes a huge difference in growth. :)

HemlockKing

My green peas are currently in the lead for growth, looking good, cucumber a close second, although a couple seem to be drying out and withering away, will half to be more consistent on watering I suppose.
A1

SwampDonkey

Watered the garden again yesterday. Looks like a good even germination on the squash. I put some water on the beans, beets, cukes, onions and carrots. That was around mid day, by evening the ground with the beets looked like it was never watered and it had 15 gallons of water on it. ::) More watering today when I put in the maters, got 30 gallons in the water wagon on standby. ;) The cukes are pretty much up I think, I have a half dozen sets to poke in that will be a little ahead. ;)

@thecfarm I think you can prune back your peppers if they get too tall. By the old leaves, there will be advantageous buds that will come out and probably produce a lot of new flowers. Experiment with a couple and see what comes of it. ;)

Looks like a cloudy week for next week, but just showers, no real rain. ::)

thecfarm

swampdonkey,I grow mostly ace peppers, for the sweet ones. The taller the better. The taller they are the more fruit I get!!! I have been experimenting for almost 20 years with peppers. The wind tunnel has only gone one season. This is the second season.
I had a UPS guy come to The C Farm veggie stand. He wanted peppers. He could not understand how I got my peppers so big. His did not get that size, meaning the fruit. I brought him into the garden for a tour.  :D  I really thought he was going to have the big one when he saw how tall my peppers was and how many peppers I had on each plant.  ;D  Black plastic is the answer. I would put 4 inch wide cedar boards, about a foot square, around each plant. This way when I used my liquid fertilizer, the water would stay with the plant.
I am picking peppers until I get a frost. Some may not be much bigger than 2 inches across, but ace peppers, just keep producing peppers, if I pick off the big ones.

SwampDonkey

Well, you was saying earlier they was outgrowing the cages. So a good hair trimming could solve that and get lots of new growth/flowers where cut. :D

curved-wood

Here also is a lot of watering. Never seen so much watering so early in the season. But the plants respond very well. This year I've tried daïkon but I don't expect very much because they are going into flower, so I supposed too much heat combined with not enough constant watering. Eating a lot of salad, egyptian oinions and bok choy.

SwampDonkey

Tomatoes set in yesterday and staked. I've got 30 of'm. Not tall enough to worry about tying yet. ;D

21incher

Picked my first peas today and they are the best ever. Tried a new variety that are very productive, tender, and super sweet.

Made a video with a garden update also. Everything is really taking off.
Garden 2021 Part9 Picking Peas And June Update - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!