iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats your deer hunting strategy?

Started by mike_belben, November 07, 2021, 02:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newoodguy78

Price of gas in NY is too high to bother stopping anyway  ;)

HemlockKing

Wherever you are in the US it can’t be worse than in Canada… lol
A1

Chuck White

Other than some hotheaded trooper I will say again, there are no laws that prevent an out-of-stater from having a gun (excluding a handgun) in their possession.
Now, if you're hunting that's a whole different story!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bill

fwiw

My cousin way out on Long Island wanted to come visit to upstate PA . He'd have to go thru NYC.

He was told by local shop where he lives that in NYC anything has to have barrel >= 20" and no more than  a capacity of 4 in the magazine as of last summer . Keep it all locked separate in the trunk .

I ve read in some magazine that guy on the way to hunt in Maine had to land in NYC ( weather ) and spend the night - so airline gave him his luggage - then airport LEO locked him up for having an illegal firearm ( think it was a rifle )  and told him even tho it was legal in NY they have what they call an " active " defense . Means you need to go to court ( w/lawyer ??? ) and assert your right to travel thru the state with a legal gun . That you'd be found not guilty after time and $$$$ .

Another guy said he went to pistol shoots from PA into NJ all the time ( ??? ) .

Guess all that coulda changed as its been awhile .

doc henderson

well chuck, a handgun is considered a gun in Ks, and still protected by the second amendment.  when i was there you had to have a permit to have a handgun, and the paperwork was too hard for me.  i was a internal medicine and pediatric resident at the time.  anyway.  if you do not have a permit, the a handgun is illegal.  Not many truck drivers carry a long gun for protection on the road.  you can bet they will jump out to help a family being carjacked if needed as well.  my dad was an MP in the army, and never went out in an 18 wheeler without his 32 cal. semi auto pistol for protection.  @Chuck White , I know you are a great guy, the rest of us do not like being told by a state that we are not trustworthy. 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

in KS you can open carry but used to be required to have a conceal carry permit, now that is not required.  having a weapon in your car is considered an extension of your home.  if you carry in a bag into a hotel and such, questionable.  A business may post a no gun plaque, but it will not be enforced unless their is a problem or confrontation.  if you are law abiding, you are good.  I will say, I carried a pocket knife and empty shell casing (my uncles military funeral) into the Statue of Liberty area, and the police held them for me.  they said they understood I was from KS and I would not of expected that.  gave it back at the end of the tour.  I still love NY state but they are not gun friendly, esp. for out of state.  My girlfriends dad and sister had pistol permits, but they were used to the system.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Chuck White

Hello Doc, and thanks for your comments!

Most of us here in NY are not happy with the gun laws either.

I've had a NY State pistol permit for 40 years, and I don't like the concealed carry permit restriction!

With a concealed carry permit, you can carry the pistol, but there should be no indication in appearance that you have a gun on yourself.

In a hunting situation, you can "open carry", where your gun is out in the open, and not under your coat!

It's the law, and most is driven by the population of NY City, and most of them don't know that NY extends over 200 miles north of White Plains! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mike_belben

There are lots of great people in NY.  But theyre not able to protect a bypasser from the extreme official corruption there.  
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Yesterday and today were Youth hunt days in WV where kids 8-14 can kill an antlerless deer when hunting with a licensed adult who cannot carry a gun, bow or crossbow. They also changed the regs several years ago to include seniors 65 and over in this hunt and the deer killed to not even count against our season bag. I wanted one more deer to try making some smoked sausage and even bought a 5 lb Weston brand sausage stuffer and some casings a couple weeks ago.  I've been out several times with a bow but none came in range.

I tagged this 120 lb doe with 5 minutes of legal shooting light left. I think she came out 2 days ago but was later and I could not see to shoot her when I first saw her then it got too late, especially with a bow.

Not a great picture but it was late by the time I got her hung and weighed.

I got her skinned, pulled the shoulders, neck (What was left of it after 150 grains from 30-06 at a range of 12 yards), backstrap and tenderloins, gutted and trimmed several pounds of meat for grinding. The ribcage and hams are in the outside fridge for cutting up tomorrow as too warm tonight and chance of rain so I could not leave them hanging on my skinning rack like I often do.

We actually have 4 more days of rifle antlerless season or I could try for a buck with a bow if they haven't already shed their antlers. I killed a nice antlerless deer on 28 December several years ago only to find it was a buck who had already shed his antlers. Unless this sausage turns out way better than I expect I think I am done for the season with this one.

EDIT/ADD-ON: I just finished boning out the deer in this picture this morning and the boned out yield was 42 lbs. 12 lbs are in corning (Backstraps, tenderloin & Brisket) and 30 lbs to grind into sausage unless I decide to make some bologna or jerky out of some of it. I bought a pork Boston Butt to grind and mix with it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Walnut Beast

Strategy is to eat incredible blackstrap that's better than the premium beef tenderloin out of the store to keep you motivated. A little more done than usual but tasty 

WV Sawmiller

I know people go crazy for the backstrap but I never developed a better taste for it than the hams which I cubed and cooked like chicken fried steak (Floured and fried). Either are great with rice and gravy then any leftovers make great steak sandwiches.

I now corn my backstraps, tenderloin and briskets and they are probably my wife's favorite cut when prepared that way. Pretty simple to do. Just trim the meat, make a pickling solution, add the meat and let is process in a plastic bucket in the downstairs fridge for 5-6 days. I put a heavy stoneware plate on top to make sure all of the meat stays below the surface. I like to stir the mix a few times during the processing period just to make sure the solution reaches all the meat equally. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

Once pickled how do you tend to cook it howard?   Are you saying you bread and fry pickled stuff?   I have a lobster pot full to drain out and bag up today.  Just salt water and vinegar. 
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

We flour and fry the cubed steaks. 

The corned deer my wife puts in a cast iron pot or Dutch oven with a lid in a little water and puts it in a slow oven (about 300 *F) and cooks a couple of hours till it just falls apart. She used to throw her veggies (Taters, carrots, and sometimes cabbage) in there with it but now she just cooks them separately, normally together, in a pot of boiled water with a little butter on top of the stove. 
Howard Green

KEC

About truck drivers carrying guns in the truck. Understand that  commercial truck drivers are subject to federal motor carrier regulations which strictly prohibit drivers from having any firearms in the truck. Add that to the reasons that there is a driver shortage. 

Walnut Beast

They say scent thief works really good! So good they got shut down by the DOJ. Interesting short video when the showed up in Missouri and confiscated everything., I'll be trying it out!

https://youtu.be/E3t5GF-c_Po

SawyerTed

What's my deer hunting strategy? 

I make sure they have no idea I'm there....

I control scent, hunt the wind by selecting stands and hunt the travel lanes.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

My deer stands are basically on the North side of my property so I will/do not hunt when the wind is out of the North, NE, or NW.  I did not hunt opening day.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TroyC

I'm hunting the second rut in central Georgia now, it is slow. Couple 4 points and same does hitting food plots right before dark,  a few does moving to bedding areas early morning. Not nearly as much action as there was last month. 

SawyerTed

I have enough stands placed to take advantage of North winds or South winds. For most stands a West wind is a non issue.  East winds are more problematic for my current placements.  When there's an East wind we hunt from boxes or don't hunt at all. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Walnut Beast

Now it's time to try out Scent Thief. I did a few tests with it and I'm very impressed!  

https://youtu.be/M2htvYLZwNY

Walnut Beast

Scent thief is under review and so far I'm not impressed! Had two different nice bucks come from the backside downwind very slight. I had things sprayed and one of their wafers. I had two different bucks that got spooked! Not bad but enough to stop and detour around the way they were supposed to be. The seven does didn't seem to be spooked but the scent could have been going over them. I will test a little more but that 60 day money back guarantee just might happen! The smell of the stuff is a cross between earth smell and Vic's vapo rub 😂 

Ron Scott

Keep us posted on your testing results. All my hunting clothes are either Scent Lok or Scent Block with some favorable results.
~Ron

Walnut Beast

There are many variables but If you want big bucks you can't shoot little ones or should I say ones most people would shoot. Deer travel and it's a chance you take passing them up. I know because it's happened!! I know this guy that arrowed him and this is what happens when managing practices and states where your only allowed one buck

Walnut Beast

Deer hunting strategy is tricky when they bunch up! I'm very fortunate that they winter in my area but when you hunt by arrow you have to get close but the tricky part is getting in and out of the woods without getting detected and when your hunting from a elevated stand even if the wind is in your favor and you have 28 eyes or more that can pick up the slightest movement at all different places without any foliage on the tree plus the deer your looking for may be one out of fifty deer and  he needs to come within range might mean many many times in the stand and never get a shot. 

Thank You Sponsors!