iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pumpkin pie

Started by Don P, December 31, 2021, 04:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Egg nog in the pie, that's all I'm sayin :).

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

GAB

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 31, 2021, 04:37:17 PM
No recipe?
The pumpkin pie recipe calls for milk.  Replace the milk with egg nog and if you do not tell no one will ever know.
I've done it before with good results.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

SwampDonkey

And if you have garden winter type squash, use that instead if that is all ya got. Will taste and look the same. Vanilla bean ice cream on top, the non fake stuff. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

They say, most canned pumpkin is really squash. I like pumpkin pie but it doesn't go well with the family that comes to our home for holiday meals.
We do most like pecan pie which I find a bit overwhelming unless it's a small piece.
For my favorite pumpkin pie- Google "Pumpkin Pecan Pie", it shares some of the attributes of both pecan and pumpkin pies IMO. There are several versions, pick one you like.
Blue Bell has a tasty pumpkin ice cream and a new egg nog ice cream. FWIW, their also newish Coconut Cream Pie ice cream is VG. Egg nog I like but a little goes a long way.
I doubt Blue Bell Ice cream makes it too CA but they have a great store bought vanilla bean and two other vanilla versions also VG. In my family we have a tradition of making homemade ice cream dating before my birth. As a kid I got the crank the handle job and trips to the ice plant to buy block ice were filled with anticipation of the final product. FWIW, we made many recipes but a family favorite is Brown Bread Ice cream. It comes from Britain when I've researched that recipe. In KS it was actually sold in stores back in my childhood. One place in Topeka, KS still has it and a main stop when I'm home. They also have a Lemon ice cream that I never miss when there.
A store bought pumpkin pie lacks something homemade gives you- a REAL crust!!! :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Don P

The recipe... well its not written down, a pinch this and a dash of that. First I got invited home, and her Mamma was a good cook. There were a few years of smuggling skeet biscuits out back, and the incident with the lemon tofu cheescake  :D. But then the recipe begins to come together. For the recipe; 
Marry well
"What is in this pumpkin pie, its awesome!"
"Egg nog".
Do the dishes  :)

sawguy21

Pumpkin is good but mom always made squash pie, we preferred it. We never had store bought, I still won't eat it, but a nearby bakery makes pie almost as good as moms.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

Hubbard squash is what most canned "pumpkin" pie filling is made of :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

We've made 4 squash pies so far this fall, we use sweat momma. Mine grow twice the size they claim on the seed package. I think we still have 8, 7-10 lb squash still to go through. :D They keep well, I never have them rot. They are not as dry this time of year though. When we first pick them, you 'need a lb of butter' on them, is a common phrase. Quite dry. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bags

Miss K makes pumpkin pies from the pumpkins we grow up here in the mountains.

She makes apple pies too.

SwampDonkey

My grandmother used to make pumpkin pie from the Halloween pumpkin. Used to have to boil a lot of water off them. ;D I bet the seed was cheaper than pie pumpkin. She was very frugal and saved at every opportunity. ;)

Magicman

Quote from: bags on January 01, 2022, 08:06:16 PMShe makes apple pies too.
Dave, that is a Beautiful Apple Pie picture.   food6

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

My FIL is always saying if you want a good pumpkin pie use squash.
Apple pie!!!!!! my wife use to make me one that I think started out about 4 inches high.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Isn't pumpkin just another type of squash?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Yup, all pumpkin pie is squash pie, hmm, except when it's sweet potato pie  ;D

SwampDonkey

Pretty much, it's all about the packaging. :D :D 

A parsnip or a parsley root are just a carrot. ;D I've seen parsley root marketed as parsnip. :D :D

thecfarm

Sorry should of said butter cup squash, that is what he means, the green ones, not the orange ones.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kantuckid

Quote from: Corley5 on January 01, 2022, 02:58:01 PM
Hubbard squash is what most canned "pumpkin" pie filling is made of :) :)
and yams so I've read
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SwampDonkey

Well you can make pie with yams and you can also make pie with mashed carrots. ;D

I remember the book "When Things Fall Apart", yams was part of their diet and life in the story of it. ;D

bags

K must have made that pie the same day the new log/cow dog came home about a year ago Linn---

Thank You Sponsors!