iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2022 Garden Seed and Starts - Better get on it!!

Started by SwampDonkey, January 15, 2022, 04:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wlmedley

Dug my sweet potatoes today.I guess they like wet hot weather.Got a bushel from 6 plants.Pretty big I was happy.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

21incher

Peppers, peppers, and more peppers. I must have over 100 pounds of peppers

Emerald giant stuffers

Stuffed giant peppers. That's my wife's jumbo baking dish

Anaheim Chilies for the freezer

My wife loves the teddy bear sunflowers and cuts them for the house

Pickled sweet peppers

Quartered mixed red heirloom tomatoes

Freezer peppers. We chop them and freeze.

Black panther edamame (very nutty flavor. Steam them and they have the flavor of boiled peanuts)

Another basket of peppers. Jimmy Nardelio pimento, Ashe Pimento, Habanadas, Red Banana, California Wonder

Thick wall Di Cuneo peppers for the freezer. Make awesome small stuffed peppers in the winter.

San Marzano plum tomatoes. 

Pickled sweet onions. One regular and the other bread and butter onions.

Have about 30 pounds of ajvarski peppers to pick, roast, and can tomorrow. Never had so many peppers. Probably over 100 pounds from a couple plants. They really liked the hot dry weather and being watered everyday. Next week digging the sweet potatoes, beets, and carrots. Have to cure the sweets in the grow tent again. Last years got soo sweet from the cure.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Walnut Beast

SwampDonkey

You got the mother lode there on the sweet potatoes, those look great.

Peppers, I love peppers, we've got lots frozen to do for an entire year and then some. But no 100 lbs, I'd never eat that many in 10 years. :D Have only done stuffed peppers a couple of times, they are great, but usually just prefer them in the cooking of meat or on sandwiches. I do have 4 cans of jalapeno rings for evening sandwiches during the winter. Peppers are still producing here, but right now using them fresh as the need arises, no more preserving. You've got lots of eat'n to do. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Finally done with peppers. Just finished canning the Ajvarskis
Garden 2022 Canning Red Peppers And A Look Back At The Last Couple Weeks - YouTube
Finally the end is in sight

Some guy by the name of Neilson keeps sending me cash in the mail. Got another $5 bill just for filling out a simple form saying Newsmax is the only channel we watch anymore. He is helping me cover the cost of inflation  :o

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

Picked the squash this morning, had 6 left, used 2 already before today. Largest was 7 lb this year. Not as great a harvest as last two years, but don't want a mountain of squash anyway. Low pollination this year for lack of bees, cold very wet June gave them a slow start. Be making another squash pie soon.

21incher

Well another season is over. Almost all cleaned up and the garlic is in. Found a giant beet when I pulled the last of them and had to try cooking it to find out if it was actually  edible 
Man Versus Beet - YouTube
Root cellar  is packed full and ready for some rest after finishing cleaning up the leaves. Fun to watch  everyone's progress in threads like this.

SwampDonkey

Oh yeah, them big ones are edible for sure. But take forever to cook'm. My cousins brought mother some 3 or 4 lbers a couple years ago. :D They cooked and made good pickles, but for ever to cook up. ;)

Cleaned out the gardens here a month ago. If only summer was longer, a barrel full of green tomatoes got mulched into the garden. ;D

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

21incher

Quote from: doc henderson on November 02, 2022, 07:17:39 AM
21 you cannot beet that! :)

It beet me, I couldn't finish the good 3 pounds of it 😮. I now know  that beets could  be the cause of the next TP shortage 😬.

Wlmedley

Only thing still growing up here at starvation camp is turnips.Planted them in potato patch.Some about the size of a baseball.Cooked a couple sweet potatoes.Took a hour and a half to get them done but they have sweetened up pretty good.Usually are at there best around Thanksgiving.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

SwampDonkey

I do have a row of parsnip still in the ground. We dig them in the spring time. That's the only time they are good after they have wintered. I only plant enough carrots to eat from the garden because they don't keep unless refrigerated or a root cellar. Keeping the bagged onions outside where it is cool until we get freezing temps to harden the ground. Basement hovers around 65F, too warm for root veg except potatoes and onion. Talon onion are suppose to be the best storing onion in these parts, the onions I started from seeds.

kantuckid

We love Vidalia onions and this year we've been able to buy them even now, when in the past they were long gone by fall as a very poor storage onion. Years past we got sweet & mild vidalia tpye onions from Peru. 
I wonder what technology thjey came up with in GA that now allows us to buy Vidalia's? 

Sweet potatoes I've seen in storage in NC commercial growing areas were piled high in metal buildings. I quit growing them as weather made them a dicey item in our garden. They tasted the same to me from early to late, didn't ever sense they got sweeter? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

newoodguy78

It's my understanding a true vidalia onion has to be grown in a certain part of Georgia. It has to do with the soil type in that region. The onion growers in that area did a good job of marketing their product. What's changed as far as genetics in them to help them last I'm not sure. 
We grow a couple varieties of onions that are comparable in taste if not sweeter but no where near the size of commercial Vidalias. Sipalini? (Not positive of the spelling)Is one that comes to mind. Excellent sweeter type onion but doesn't hold super well. Customers seek them out when available. 

SwampDonkey

We buy a few  vidalia onion in the spring time before it warms up enough for trees to make leaves. But our onions keep well, and we eat every last one unless one has a disease or something. I eat lots of onions here, can't imagine a day going by without an onion in something. :)

kantuckid

SwampDonkey reminds me of "Bad Bob" the guy who tried kill (Paul Newman) Judge Roy Beane in the movie. In that scene, Bad Bob took a chomp of a big raw onion before he tried to do his deed, then the judge blew a hole in Bob that the next view was of a barn you could see thru the hole in Bad Bobs body. 
Hillbilly's here bouts eat sliced onions on the side with beans, any kind of beans. Hard to cook w/o an onion. 
To be legally called a Vidalia, that type of onion, that can be grown elsewhere, must have been grown in that specific county in GA. The one's from Peru seem to be very close to the very mild Vidalia's. 
I have wondered how the airlines who charge an arm & a leg for any luggage now, come up with affordable space for all the Southern Hemisphere stuff? It's very common in past decade or so from NZ, Peru and Chile-apples, grapes, citrus and onions and a few other items. 

SwampDonkey

Chile and Peru produce comes by container ship through the Panama Canal and into Philadelphia and trucked to the Ontario Food Terminal.

kantuckid

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 05, 2022, 03:39:42 PM
Chile and Peru produce comes by container ship through the Panama Canal and into Philadelphia and trucked to the Ontario Food Terminal.
A ship of highly perishable fruit seems undoable to me? Bananas they can gas but grapes, pears are they able to be held that long? Onions, even sweet types I can visualize them by ship. 
After some reading I see that refrigerated ships is the answer for perishable fruits. Chile & Peru are taking over many areas of foods in off seasons. Many North American ports are involved.

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!