iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

airport steakhouse.

Started by doc henderson, March 06, 2022, 01:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

we have a nice airport restaurant.  the air force base Mcconnel in Wichita uses it and the helo pilots from Ft. Riley come up and eat.  If you hear then see 4 helos in formation fly over my house, they are having steak at the restaurant

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rusticretreater

Its kind of interesting to see in old movies and tv shows where folks go to the bar at the airport.  Travel was glamorous in those days so the airports and train stations were upscale.  
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

doc henderson

at night you get a slightly upscale vibe, they have proff. chefs, but they have a lunch buffet that everyday folks love, cause it is real food, real fast.  if you want the lunch deal, you go straight and get a plate of food and sit down, and they take you drink order and put you down for the buffet.  in and out in 40 minutes if you like.  no waiting.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sawguy21

I haven't found a good steakhouse for years. A tough scrawny piece of charred meat blood red inside seems to be the norm.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

there is another at a little biplane airport about 40 minutes from here, and many just fly over to eat for a little trip.  will have to remember the name.

SwampDonkey

We have some upscale restaurants, but they are above my pay grade. They are for McCain execs and once a year binges. The neighbor sells them beef to one in Florenceville and his prices are pretty much double for the same meat from the guy just over the hill. The guy over the hill has top grade animals, this guy near me has mongrels. All in the marketing. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Osage

Doc, we must be neighbors. I live about 5 miles NE of the airport, have eaten there numerous times.
Your right about the helos, they have been flying over lately due to the fires close to our house.

Osage

Quote from: doc henderson on March 06, 2022, 08:54:16 PM
there is another at a little biplane airport about 40 minutes from here, and many just fly over to eat for a little trip.  will have to remember the name.
Stearman Field, At Bentley.

doc henderson

well hello neighbor.  i know a few others close by but about 50 miles away.  You might update your profile with more info.  it does not have to be too specific.  are you a hobby guy, or business?  I know hedge is loved for fence posts, and firewood.  It also makes great wood projects.  My kids went to Buhler High school.  hope the recent fires did not get you.  Welcome.

Raider Bill

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 06, 2022, 04:38:24 PM
I haven't found a good steakhouse for years. A tough scrawny piece of charred meat blood red inside seems to be the norm.
We quit getting steak out. Most always disappointed comparing them to what I can cook at home.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

kantuckid

Our oldest son who joined the Marines to become a helo pilot, straight from college, remains a civilian helo pilot still yet. The helo pilots who "hop" from place to place and refuel seem to know all the best places to chow down. Our son relates them to us often for various areas he has or is flying into. 
Not so often are they airport based food though as this thread showcases. 

Hey Osage-many of my people in KS are from Osage Co, KS, (Burlingame, KS) I'm a Shawnee Co boy myself. A military friend owed 1/2 a car dealership in Osage City, KS back when. He was also a rancher there and a pilot of WWII vintage who commanded my aviation Company.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Machinebuilder

I love a good steak,

If you want an interesting read get
Franklin Steak by Arron Franklin.

It's not really a cookbook but has more of what a great steak is.

His book on Barbeque is very good too......for a very Texan slant.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

ADKsawyer

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 06, 2022, 04:38:24 PM
I rarely ever post, but read the forum everyday..... you my friend have to be one of the most negative ppl I've ever seen post, not just this post, but most of what you put up is negative. Can u just say "glad you enjoyed your dinner"? Not that hard. 

ADKsawyer

Quote from: doc henderson on March 06, 2022, 01:58:53 PM
we have a nice airport restaurant.  the air force base Mcconnel in Wichita uses it and the helo pilots from Ft. Riley come up and eat.  If you hear then see 4 helos in formation fly over my house, they are having steak at the restaurant

Here's how to do it..... Hey Doc glad you enjoyed your dinner..... not that hard 

sawguy21

Jeff

I was going to inject some sort of admin hocus pocus here, but garsh, I just think this here was a learning experience don't ch'all?

Roy, come to the U.P. this summer and I'll airfry ya a steak, anyway ya want it. You can then say you traveled across a continent for what could quite likely be the best or worst meal of your life, and if you come, I'm good with what ever your opinion ends up being. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Southside

I will double down on that.  Make your way to Virginia and I will treat you to a USDA 100% grass fed steak, your choice of cut, that sells for foolish money in Richmond grocery stores.  You can even see where it grew up.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

Jeff, I wish I could take you up on that! Same for Southside, I have never seen the south east.  A long road trip would be good for my soul right now. It's funny, tastes appear to be changing. AAA grain fed used to be considered our finest beef, I still prefer it, but grass fed is taking over in the market place. Is it cost or are we becoming more Americanized? ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 19, 2022, 12:13:41 PM
AAA grain fed used to be considered our finest beef, I still prefer it, but grass fed is taking over in the market place. Is it cost or are we becoming more Americanized? ;D
Depends on what your used to. Growing up here all we had was grass fed, but they had grain supplement in winter. Even the older calves got some 'mash' in the milk. Be dry sled'n without it. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Southside

Consumer demand is shifting. Some for health reasons, some idelogical, some prefer the taste.

Done wrong 100% grass fed is horrible. Might as well eat a swamp buck in the rut. It's a lot of work to do it right, but it's what beef should taste like. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

We had some one time from a farm up by traverse city. Organic grass fed.  Not a fan.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

As far as as I am concerned this whole organic thing is a joke. I won't pay a premium for a product where all the bugs and diseases haven't been killed. There are NO scientific studies showing that it has any benefit, it is a marketing ploy. There, my rant for the day, stay tuned for further developments ;D

newoodguy78

After seeing the air fryer video of the steak and haven eaten some of southsides grass fed beef, personally think that would make an excellent combination. Hands down the best beef I've eaten in a long time came out of Dinwiddie county. Even if it wasn't air fried  :D

Southside

Just curious what bugs and diseases you fear you would find in my products? I can say you won't find Glyphosate, (Round up), 2,4-D (Agent Orange), Bio-Solids (Sewage waste), GMO beef (Yup - just approved for sale in the US), or a host of other honest to goodness, down home, fill you up just like momma made it contaminants.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!