The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Taco Salad  (Read 738 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Taco Salad
« on: March 06, 2022, 05:42:00 PM »
   This is a very simple version of taco salad which is handy to make in a pinch using ingredients you likely already have on hand.

1 lb hamburger (browned)
1 head of lettuce
1 can of kidney beans (drained)
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup shredded taco or cheddar cheese
1 medium tomato diced
double handful (about 7-10 oz) tortilla chips, crumbled
Russian dressing to taste (Usually about one 15 oz bottle)

In a large pan add the browned hamburger, break up the lettuce, add the tomato, onion, beans, cheese, and tortilla chips. Add the dressing and mix well. Ready to eat.

All ingredients are flexible and you can add or decrease the amounts based on your taste. Optional items sometimes added are sour cream, picante sauce, olives or black beans. 

Russian dressing has been hard to find around here in WV for several years. Wal Mart sometimes has Wishbone brand as my only source. If not available substitute any other red salad dressing such as French, Western or Catalina.

Very quick and simple to make and pretty popular with everyone I have served it to. Try it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Taco Salad
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 09:53:20 PM »
MMMmmm! One of my favorites.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 10:21:45 AM »
We've adapted our version (sort of similar to Howards?) of taco salads from the spiced ground beef version often seen in restaurants to using our chili recipe as the base item. We place a ample layer of tortilla chips on a dinner plate (crush slightly if you like), place large dollops of thick chili on them, followed by diced onions, lots of shredded lettuce, whole sweet corn, diced maters, diced avocado, sliced ripe olives, Dollops of green or red taco/enchilada sauce, dollops of sour cream, shredded cheese, salt and pepper and in my own version I dust the top of it all with chili powder. I zap it in the microwave for about a minute. They can easily grow to be larger than life but delicious as described. 
My favorite green sauce is the Walmart/Sam's sold one called Sam's Club green enchilada sauce-comes in the short squatty jar. Lot's of tomatillos and medium hot and spicy. My wife likes the milder versions.   
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline taylorsmissbeehaven

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 07:22:31 AM »
Funny to see this this morning! I made Mary and I taco salads night before last with leftovers. Had not thought about that meal in years. It will not be as long, they were delicious. Thanks for sharing Howard. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 09:19:37 PM »
Taylor,

Thanks for keeping this alive. I'm surprised there were not more responses as it is too simple and too good a one dish meal for more people not to at least be trying it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 10:52:23 AM »
I'm a taco fiend! -includes taco salads. 
 Our trend is to use Mission brand corn tortillas, they sell one labeled Super sized, extra thin. Often not in stock. We heat them a bit in olive oil for our own portions, taking turns to fill and eat. 
Yesterday I finished a couple (one to give away) of wooden tortilla presses in my shop that I began before we went to FL for 6 weeks. I'd just read a NYT's tortilla recipe and googled a bunch of designs then made these from scraps of SYP 2x6's I'm processing nearby. Recipe I'll use is a combo of Masa and flour, not just masa. The gluten helps them stay together. There's a Mexican restaurant near us that has great street tacos. They use a corn tortilla thats extremely thin but has two layers and it stays together while you eat the entire taco. Thats one reason we quit the crispy version of taco shells-they taste great but disintegrate in hand.
Something to try if you like Mexican food-krogers sells two enchilada sauces in a can with a yellow label-ones red, the others green. They are what I'd call medium heat. The green is an outstanding sauce used as a condiment on tacos, or cooking enchiladas, etc.! try them.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Salad

Started by Magicman on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

13 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 11:17:30 PM
by sawguy21
xx
Dippy salad

Started by ohsoloco on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

10 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 09:28:24 PM
by Mooseherder
xx
Salad bowl set

Started by jim king on General Woodworking

9 Replies
Last post January 07, 2010, 01:14:56 PM
by Don K
xx
Chicken salad.....

Started by Raym on Sawmills and Milling