Heading to Lower Michigan - any must-see suggestions?

Started by hidn45, June 15, 2022, 09:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hidn45

Hello all-

We'll be in the Petosky, MI, area for a week, 6/25 to 7/1, & wondered if there might be any local Michiganders that might suggest any good things to see & do in the area. Looking forward to seeing what the bigger Great Lakes have to offer - we live a [long] stone's throw from Lake Erie.  We don't have too many firm plans, mostly just relax & decompress. Michigan seemed like a good place for that...

Thanks in advance-
Lois & Randy Nelson

jb616

Mackinac island is one spot you could go to. You have to book a ferry ride there and you will want to spend a whole day. They run the ferry's from either Mackinac city (South or lower peninsula) or St. Ignace ( upper peninsula). there are no motor vehicles allowed (except for emergency) and all travel is by horse and carriage or bicycle. There are many sites to see around the island and you can rent a carriage or bicycle to do that. Don't leave without buying some of the World Famous fudge!  I also believe there is either a steam or water driven sawmill around the Mackinac City area. The whole coastline along the Petoskey area is nice as well.
There is also the Soo locks in Sault Ste. Marie in the upper peninsula and Tahquamenon Falls if you don't mind a drive. If you like the little shops, there is Charlevoix to your south, Traverse city and the peninsulas (Old Mission) north of there, Sleeping Bear Dunes, Leland (Fishtown). As you see, that is a beautiful part of our state and you will have very nice scenery.   

hidn45

Thanks, jb.  We're looking forward to seeing some pretty country up there.  The Little Woman would really like to see the Grand Hotel on Mackinac, so I'm sure we'll scoot up there at least 1 day.  Beyond that, we'll see what the weather presents & go from there.  And we've gotta find some good pasties!  Just one question - gravy, or is that like ketchup on a Wrigley Field hot dog?  Don't want to offend while we're there.... :^)    (Food content...)

Thanks again-

Lois & Randy

Magicman

Gravy!!!  There is a very good pastie cafe there in Mackinaw City that serves both beef and chicken pasties.  The Mackinaw Mill is just a couple of miles down Hwy 23.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jb616

@hidn45 , ironically they offer gravy with the pasties (my choice) but true Yoopers eat with ketchup. Either way is fine depending on your tastes because you will be eyed as a troll (someone who lives below the bridge) anyway  :D

PoginyHill

Plenty of wonderful, sandy beaches on Lake Michigan. You can rent a jeep and do some dune riding.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

hidn45

Ah, Jeeps on the dunes.... brings back memories of trying [not] to get our VW Baja Bug stuck in the sand at Presque Isle here on Lake Erie!  I'll see if The Little Woman's up for it.

The Mackinaw Mill sounds like a good place to pick up some local history, & I heard about some good fort sites in the area too.

Thanks all, for your help.  Won't be long now....

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

hidn45

Well, we had a great time in Michigan, & saw some beautiful country.  The fill-ups were a bit painful, but at least most of the traffic backups were on the opposite side of the highway....  Had a very relaxing week, & a good recharge.  

I liked the pasties, The Little Woman- not so much...

Thanks, all, for your advice.  Already planning a return trip to see more of the stuff we didn't get to!

Lois & Randy