iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beer Adventures

Started by Ianab, July 11, 2022, 05:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Quote from: doc henderson on August 15, 2022, 01:45:28 PM
my buddy brews a summer time stout.  a little lighter and sweeter.  but he is crazy and will drink anything anytime.   :)
Every guy needs a buddy like that, to prove to our wives how sane we are.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Raider Bill

Took a trip to West Chicago to see Grand Kids.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

aigheadish

That metal growler is sweet, Ian!

I took a chance on another Abita IPA a few days ago. This one is called Bubblegum Juicy IPA and it's exactly what it sounds like. I kind of hate it and I kind of expected to. It's actually tasty but one of those beers that I'd only want maybe a quarter of at a time. I've only had one bottle of it so far, so maybe I can acquire a taste for it.

Beer is interesting. I've had Hazy Little Thing, from Sierra Nevada several times and thought it was fine, then we went to the same place I'd had it previously (on tap) for a party a couple weeks ago and it was the only IPA I was interested in, on tap. It was one of the tastiest beers I'd ever had. Strange stuff how flavors change a bit or how the taste seems to change.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Walnut Beast

National beer lovers day today boys 🍺 

K-Guy

Quote from: Walnut Beast on September 07, 2022, 06:33:23 AMNational beer lovers day today boys 🍺 

I'll raise a glass to that(or more)!!!
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

aigheadish

I'm not a huge holiday supporter, more of a bah-humbugger, but I have a feeling I'll celebrate this one!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Raider Bill

Well I'm back from the Glacier trip. I tried to get pictures of the different beer local beers I bought along the way. As you can see my tastes run to IPA.
Here goes....

I've never had Huckleberry anything before so I tried HB ice cream, pie and this cream ale. I'll stick with the pie and ice cream...
For anyone that likes a good sipping tequila, this one fits the bill.
In Whitefish I saw the sign for IV treatments. Cracked me up. Must have a lot of beginners there. lol

Had others that were on tap so I didn't get pictures.

Seems fitting that the last beer of the trip was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale the beer that started the IPA craze back in the 80's IMO.

doc henderson

I like the glass JJ Whitefish. 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

I was just thinking that too Doc, that Whitefish glass is neat!

Raider Bill

I'd never seen one before either.
Foam cozy worked great with it. Wish I could find a cozy for tapered pint glasses.
I took the pictures of the growlers because I'd never seen a half growler before. Cute little thing.

beenthere

In the last pic, the beer looks good too.  8)

Great trip, looks like. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

I found them on Amazon called beer can glasses.  6 for 18 bucks or so.  no writing so not as cool.  i can engrave them.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

I've gotten into a semi-habit of buying glasses from some of the bars I occasionally visit. I only have 3, I think, and I've stopped my wife from "accidentally" knocking one off the table into her purse. I'd probably rather not buy any more (I'm out of freezer shelf space!) but I really like the the beer can glasses. 

Doc- I'll buy you a couple cases of them if you engrave one or two for me and send 'em my way?

doc henderson

if you buy a case and drop ship to me, I will engrave and send on to you.  pm me

Raider Bill

Quote from: beenthere on September 20, 2022, 01:37:25 PM
In the last pic, the beer looks good too.  8)

Great trip, looks like.
We had a great trip!
The only thing that hampered us was the smoke from wildfires after we left Glacier but having no plans we worked around it for the most part.
Soon as we go through the pix I'll post some other than beer lol

Ianab

Quote from: aigheadish on August 31, 2022, 06:32:30 AMit was the only IPA I was interested in, on tap. It was one of the tastiest beers I'd ever had. Strange stuff how flavors change a bit or how the taste seems to change.

Both the bottling, time and storage conditions affect how beer tastes for sure. Having home brewed from time to time you can get to judge this, as a beer that's been in the bottle for 2 weeks is very different to one that's 6 months old. Sometimes better, sometimes not, depending on the brew and your tastes, but it's changed over time. Usually becoming more "mellow" and a bit less flavour, which may or may not be "better". 

What I did notice in Rarotonga was the brewery didn't bottle or can any beer. The cost / logistics just didn't work out in their favour. It was on tap at pretty much every local bar and restaurant, and was basically the only brew that was. Bonus of this was that it was the cheapest beer as the other options were imported bottles / cans, which cost a $ or 2 more than the local brew over the bar.  This contrasted with the brewery that was operating last trip, they also brewed good beer, but the cost of bottling it locally put the price up over the imported beers, limiting the sales (and profit). Their production costs were more than the retail cost of imported Hieneken / Stienlager etc. Remove the bottling cost and the local beer can even compete on price (and is still good stuff) 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

i looked back and I bought the Libby thinking it is USA made, and I think it is.  it was 4 for 18 bucks, and a coupon for 1.70.  there are lots of no name brands for lots less.  for what that is worth.

Ianab

Apricot Triple Hazy IPA tonight. 

At 10.5%, and a 440ml can, I think one is enough.  :D  Plenty of fruity flavour in this one, but I'm not 100% sure it's really beer. Closer to an Apricot wine?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

kantuckid

I bought some neat beer glasses in Ireland that I was attracted to at the time. Given that I virtually never drink beer from a glass, we sold them at a garage sale few years ago.

In today's NYT's, I just read an article on Mexican drought, vs. the beer makers.
It has been in the news what with the feds there & local cities hauling water around to neighborhoods.
The article covers the fact that Mexican beer companies, which are huge corporations, have water contracts that are decades long toward never not having water. Protesters at beer plants in Monterrey (who had no domestic water at home) saw beer plants with all they needed to have continuous production.
Mexican beer makers are the largest global exporter of beer, in fact.
AMLO, the Mexican pres. had said he would get people water but in fact many went without for a long time.  
I like my apricots dried. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Ianab

Courier just called in with a parcel. 

Yup, it's a beer Advent Calendar, with  24 different beers. Plus a bonus low Alc Hazy, Chur-mas themed socks, and a festive beer glass. 
December is looking up  8)

aigheadish

What's this "low Alc" you speak of?  :)

Ianab

Quote from: aigheadish on November 16, 2022, 10:03:50 AM
What's this "low Alc" you speak of?  :)
:D
Actually we are on the road for the 25th, visit my Mum and then an hour+ drive to Lil's Mum. So a free 0.5% beer with lunch might be just the thing.  :)  

Ianab

It's the first today, Advent calendar time.  8)

So number one was a leftover from Octoberfest, or Chur-Toberfest as they call it. 
German style beer. German malt and hops, and bit stronger than average, but nice. 

So far, so good.  :)

Ianab

Day 4, and it's a treat. 

Jaffa Invasion, a choc orange Imperial stout.  

The previous 2 days were "Juice Springstein" and "Brain Smiles", which were nice hazy IPAs, both with fruit like flavours. The Brain Smiles in particular looks like Orange Juice, and has enough "fruit" flavour to pass as juice. 

Jaffa is either a local sweet (small round orange flavoured chocolates in a hard candy shell) or the name for residents of Auckland. (Just Another F... Aucklander)  

Anyway, the Jafa Invasion is a meal in a glass. Tasty, but you probably only want one.  :D

aigheadish

That Jaffa sounds tasty! I can only do one of any beer that has some crazy flavor. I've had a very good chocolate beer before from a local joint called Branch and Bone. It's a hipster place with hipster beers and other than the Brewery not having their beers as cold as I like them they do a mighty fine job. If they ship it'd be worth trying them.

I've been drinking some fruity stuff lately. I've tried a few raspberry beers I like and this strawberry one, that is very light on the strawberry. It's not bad but nothing special. 

Thank You Sponsors!