iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

long term storage of dry goods.

Started by doc henderson, September 27, 2022, 04:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Quote from: Southside on November 13, 2022, 05:36:53 PM
Tried some ground chicken in our chamber vac the other day. I don't recommend it. At least not the same way you seal "solid" material. Need to do a little research on how to do that without the explosive results. Kinda looked like an egg in the microwave.... Whoops.
@Southside I had the same results with butternut today :o. Once I started the vacuum it started growing and by the time I hit the emergency stop button I had this mess.

Looks like it had air entrapped in it from the food processor and that made it grow like a glob from space. Finished off the rest by setting the vacuum time down to 7 seconds that was just strong enough to evacuate most of the bag but not pull air from the butternut. I learn the hard way but now I know how to take it apart to clean. Can't wait to see what happens to hamburger meat ;D . I wish they knew how to write instruction manuals in China.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

I don't have much faith in the brand machine you have. I know their tomato juicer isn't any good. Hard to beat a 'Fabio Leonardi' for tomato juicer.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bigblockyeti

Upon first glance, I thought that was a tee shirt press.

21incher

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 15, 2022, 04:26:59 PM
I don't have much faith in the brand machine you have. I know their tomato juicer isn't any good. Hard to beat a 'Fabio Leonardi' for tomato juicer.
Actually it's just a heavy duty oil vacuum pump and some count down timers you set. Really well made and not much that can go wrong. The stainless welding is really good.  Even came with replacement seal strips. Works amazing once you figure out the settings. I bought good bags that are the most important part. 
I switched to a Lehman's steam juicer from my very expensive Breville because of the cleanup time and time it took to process a couple gallons. 

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

I'd actually use a Mehu-Liisa Steamer/Juicer myself. Just toss it all in whole. 10 year warranty. Lee Valley sells them. Made in Finland.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 15, 2022, 05:28:31 PM
I'd actually use a Mehu-Liisa Steamer/Juicer myself. Just toss it all in whole. 10 year warranty. Lee Valley sells them. Made in Finland.
That's the one I wanted but they were not available during  the pandemic. I got the Amish knockoff  Mehu-Maija that was available at the time with  good ratings. They sure  work great. 

Southside

How full was the bag of squash?  The successful one.  I was wondering if I might have to use a larger bag or put less in it.  Kinda scared to try again...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

21incher

2 cups in a 6 x 10 bag. I had to reduce the vacuum time to the point it just got the air from the bag without  pulling air bubbles from the butternut. It's not really vacuumed packed but freezes well. Don't  know about  ground chicken but it probably  has air bubbles trapped in it from grinding also. Maybe  there  is someone  on here with  more experience  with chamber  sealers that can add to this.

doc henderson

I have not used the chamber, but could you start by putting the squash in a bowl and pulling a vacuum on just the squash to rid it of free air, then seal it in a bag?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

21incher

Quote from: doc henderson on November 16, 2022, 09:29:12 AM
I have not used the chamber, but could you start by putting the squash in a bowl and pulling a vacuum on just the squash to rid it of free air, then seal it in a bag?

It's kind of like putting a marshmallow in a jar and pulling vaccum on it. It grows to 4x the size then goes back to normal after  vacuum is removed. We did a batch  of butternut soup and that had no problem so it's definitely  trapped air and the elasticity on the puree.

tule peak timber

Tail end of my garden this morning, not pretty but still good eating ;D

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

tule peak timber

On whole corn for 2 months one of my turkeys went to the freezer today at better than 50 pounds.

Southside

You sure that wasn't a stray ostrich?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tule peak timber

In July I painstakingly flew this guy's brother fresh to Kodiak and spent hours barbecuing and basting it, only to find out the bird was really dry. What an embarrassment! After coming back home, I pulled the dried sweet corn out of the garden, bought a shiller and put my remaining birds on a high corn diet. The result being plenty of body fat to the point they can hardly walk! The breast on this bird is so big, my wife just wants to grind it up into turkey burger. I am eating the neck and some giblets tonight and they smell like heaven coming out of the crock pot! 

21incher

Brine and smoke that leg ! smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_turkey_dancing Doing the I survived Thanksgiving dance and never saw it coming the week after  :D.

Thank You Sponsors!