iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

long term storage of dry goods.

Started by doc henderson, September 27, 2022, 04:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

so i put 20# of pinto beans in the heater and got them up over 145 to kill eggs and blast off any humidity they may have absorbed.  picked out the rocks and junk, and fill 1 quart bags with 2 cups each.  got 16 bags for long term storage.  Vacuum sealed.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kantuckid

Quote from: tule peak timber on November 07, 2022, 02:46:57 PM
So, we built a little bracket for the new corn shiller and did a dry run with the left-over sweet corn. Next year I'll put a block of Floriani and try making polenta. Any suggestions on a grinder?  

Or just go into any Hispanic grocery and buy corn ground for polenta. 
I have an antique Blackhawk grinder I bought with a large, elec. motor sheave on it for grinding corn (w/o having to crank the manual cast iron handle). They are very common and on Ebay you'll see both the corn shellers and the grinders. I need to dig mine out and get rid of it as neither me nor my sons
 will ever use it. 
Blackhawks are much cheaper than a modern grinder but also less refined, yet still useful. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

kantuckid

Quote from: doc henderson on November 07, 2022, 03:03:32 PM
so i put 20# of pinto beans in the heater and got them up over 145 to kill eggs and blast off any humidity they may have absorbed.  picked out the rocks and junk, and fill 1 quart bags with 2 cups each.  got 16 bags for long term storage.  Vacuum sealed.

Rodent proof is the next step...  and a case of Beano pills? :D and a large stash of smoked pork hocks. 8) 

taylorsmissbeehaven

Pretty stash of beans Doc! They will be great come cold days. Always feels good to have a plenty in the pantry. Enjoy, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

tule peak timber

Quote from: kantuckid on November 08, 2022, 07:40:16 AM
So, we built a little bracket for the new corn shiller and did a dry run with the left-over sweet corn. Next year I'll put a block of Floriani and try making polenta. Any suggestions on a grinder?  

I have an antique Blackhawk grinder I bought with a large, elec. motor sheave on it for grinding corn (w/o having to crank the manual cast iron handle). They are very common and on Ebay you'll see both the corn shellers and the grinders. I need to dig mine out and get rid of it as neither me nor my sons
will ever use it.
Blackhawks are much cheaper than a modern grinder but also less refined, yet still useful.
I looked up the blackhawk grinder and didn't find much. Like you said, the more modern refined grinders for grain do carry a price tag. My purpose in planting  of the Floriani is that it is supposed to be a superior grain for polenta. There are tons of masa for sale in the stores here, but I can't imagine using it for anything but tortillas. Like a brewer that makes great beer, or a wine maker with his particular fruit and methods, I really want to try doing something with polenta, fresh ground, from my own corn. I have clients that bring me gifts of their own olive oil, wine, capers that are all pretty cool and I'd like to some day gift back with polenta. It's in my genes to speak.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

SwampDonkey

We usually have a gallon jar of baking beans here that does us all winter, beans on Saturdays in this part of the world. ;) Cornbread or sometimes a biscuit. And coleslaw.

Hospitals don't cook around here anymore. It's trucked in from far off lands. ::) When my uncle had his heart operation, mom found out there was a small business making beans for patients. Uncle had his baked beans. :D

98 Year old cousin in the manor, she gets hers to. She likes the cook'n there. The old timers like what they were used to. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

getting ready to subdivide and package 20#s of white rice.  prob the same with heat and vacuum sealing but maybe only a cup per package.  any thoughts specific to rice.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

21incher

We like to use 1/2 gallon Mason jars for rice. We use the vacuum attachment for our foodsaver to vacuum  pack them. That way we can pop the lid take out what we want and then reseal them. We will do bags with 1/2 gallon of rice to refill  the jars if we don't  have enough empty jars but sometimes it takes double bags because  some rice is pointy and it will create  pinhole leaks in vacuum sealed bags. Man can survive  on beans and rice with a couple cans of tomatoes. We vacuum  pack our dried beans in quart Mason jars also so they can be opened and resealed. 
    Heat treating dried beans can make some types beans not rehydrate properly and change the texture.  
  I have a chamber sealer on the way to try. It's a cheap Chinese  knockoff with an oil pump that seems to have great reviews.  12 inch seal bar with a 13 inch chamber length should fill our needs. 
  All the stores up here are fully  stocked but boy have prices gone up and package  size gone  down. No problem getting fresh local turkeys up here at this point from the local Amish store. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

We store our rice in a flip top dog food storage bin 50 pounds at a time. It is under a cabinet for ease of use and gets filled 2-3 times a year. Open, scoop a cup and close.

doc henderson

I did get the vacuum attachment for jars.  will try that as well.  need some fresh seals.  I like the idea of storage of vacuum bags big enough to refill our usable/resealable containers.  i tried to not over do the heat on the beans.  got the mess up to 140°. the thought was to kill eggs and flash off any absorbed humidity, then bag up.  any critters that tend towards rice?

tule peak timber

kantuckid

Quote from: tule peak timber on November 08, 2022, 12:51:16 PM
Quote from: kantuckid on November 08, 2022, 07:40:16 AM

will ever use it.
I looked up the blackhawk grinder and didn't find much. Like you said, the more modern refined grinders for grain do carry a price tag. My purpose in planting  of the Floriani is that it is supposed to be a superior grain for polenta. There are tons of masa for sale in the stores here, but I can't imagine using it for anything but tortillas. Like a brewer that makes great beer, or a wine maker with his particular fruit and methods, I really want to try doing something with polenta, fresh ground, from my own corn. I have clients that bring me gifts of their own olive oil, wine, capers that are all pretty cool and I'd like to some day gift back with polenta. It's in my genes to speak.
Ebay has several Blackhawk shellers and grinders listed at all times.
 They are very, very common. Most farms once had them, so it seems. 

I've seen some sell for more shipping than the item itself and thats where I bought mine. The shellers are common in KY antique stores, the grinders less so. 
 I wasn't talking masa which is sold in any large grocery (Walmart/Krogers here) for tortillas and tamales which we make at home. 
 I meant coarse ground cornmeal. The meat packer I worked for years ago, we made corn meal mush for sale among our many meat products. It was sold in a round tube and refrigerated. I think we also had a square portion. Mush was very popular in KS where we operated. Sliced cold and fried for breakfast. I've never seen any here in KY over many years other than as sold for polenta in a few places, not many.

This was discussed here in foods before-fried mush and polenta are the same thing eaten in different ways by different cultures.  

SwampDonkey

Easy made corn sheller

How to MAKE a Corn KERNEL Sheller REMOVER Tool | DIY For ANY Size Cob - YouTube

If you have a Kitchen aid mixer, they have a grain mill attachment that will grind corn into meal.

Kitchen Aid grind mill. Cracking corn - YouTube

And Bernstein's old grinder driven by his David Bradly. Grinding corn for chicken feed.

Burr mill - YouTube

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Quote from: doc henderson on November 08, 2022, 08:21:32 PM
I did get the vacuum attachment for jars.  will try that as well.  need some fresh seals.  I like the idea of storage of vacuum bags big enough to refill our usable/resealable containers.  i tried to not over do the heat on the beans.  got the mess up to 140°. the thought was to kill eggs and flash off any absorbed humidity, then bag up.  any critters that tend towards rice?
I understand if rodents eat uncooked rice it will later expand  in their stomachs and intestines solving  your rodent problem. 

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

21incher

Got the chamber sealer knockoff and it works great. 12 inch seal bar x 13 long chamber with an oil pump.

Passed the can crushing test with flying colors. This thing really sucks for about $350.

Waiting for some 3 mil bags but my old quilted bags work good. Full vacuum with a 30 second cycle time that boils water. 

doc henderson

21 how long will the can keep at vacuum? :D :D :D

got the rice heated up to decrease humidity and kill any bugs, now in 2 cup increments.  the 20# bag made 17 + 2 cup bags and over half a quart jar to use out of.  got to try the canning jar sealer and it worked well.  prob. not needed for rice.

making what we call construction stew.  on the road my brother worked for Koss construction.  they would all try to camp/live in camper in the same area.  some night they would take turns cooking for the whole group.  steak and anything in the fridge would go in.  I like potatoes and carrots, and California mix with cauliflower and broccoli.  some carrots but not enough for me.  we are headed to Arizona next week and we will freeze a fair amount to share with our friend Mike and Suzanne

about 2/3 full in a 20 Qt. stock pot.  4 pounds of 93/7 lean ground beef, and some smoked turkey dark meat.  couple three onions as well.

tule peak timber

doc henderson

Phoenix/peloria area.  wife has a half marathon on Sunday.  

tule peak timber

Southside

Tried some ground chicken in our chamber vac the other day. I don't recommend it. At least not the same way you seal "solid" material. Need to do a little research on how to do that without the explosive results. Kinda looked like an egg in the microwave.... Whoops. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

really?  I have heard there is no such thing. :)

tule peak timber

You heard right...
Monday after might work with you supplying the transportation and me the lunch. Might give some respite after her race. Electrolytes, red, white OR clear, some rest by the barbeque might work in your favour before your long trip back home. My family will be out of town and my dogs will be excited to talk to someone other than me. My kids have no manners. :D

Old Greenhorn

Man, I would love to be a fly on the wall or the bartender for that one. I am jealous. My wife and I have met Bryan and Georgia and thoroughly enjoyed our weekend with them. Rob is on my top five list of members I have not yet met and would like to get some hang out time with, especially if it is at his shop. But that's a continent away to my dismay.
If the logistics come together, you folks have a great time, but I already know you will. (Doc, leave room in the camper for 'samples', I bet you find some. :D But don't tell Rob I said that ok?)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

21incher

Quote from: doc henderson on November 13, 2022, 05:00:24 PM
21 how long will the can keep at vacuum? :D :D :D

Should add 2 years to the shelf life 🤓 :D. 

You are becoming a Doctor Prepper :o.  

Don't  forget  to mark the date on them with  a sharpie so it's  easy to rotate  the oldest ones first. If you are worried about  rodents Walmart has 5 gallon food grade buckets  and lids fairly  cheap that will slow them down. You may also be able to get some nice heavy duty containers from the kitchen  in your  hospital for free.

doc henderson

Yes, I do my vacuum sealing at 10, 2 and 4.   :)
sad now I may hesitate to use the stuff.  

Thank You Sponsors!