iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GRITS! . . . .

Started by TexasTimbers, October 17, 2007, 11:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Do I get a different flavor if I try saying something different, like you'uns?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

yuo'uns will probably make'em boil over the side and run down the stove.  I wouldn't do that if'n I was you.

Keep in mind too that a honest-to-God Southerner might eat a bowlful.  Grits are really just another item on the breakfast plate (or dinner plate or supper plate).    A serving is usually about 4 healthy tablespoons and they must be of a consistancy that they don't run around on the plate and get into other stuff.  You don't mix grits with stuff, you mix stuff with grits.   There's a difference.  :D  I like'm best with salt, pepper and butter.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Tom on March 26, 2008, 10:44:43 PM. . . .  they must be of a consistancy that they don't run around on the plate and get into other stuff. 

Quote from: Tom on March 26, 2008, 10:44:43 PM
You don't mix grits with stuff, you mix stuff with grits.

Quote from: Tom on March 26, 2008, 10:44:43 PMThere's a difference. 

Quote from: Tom on March 26, 2008, 10:44:43 PM
I like'm best with salt, pepper and butter.

These Four Points of Light are so paramount to a proper understanding of Gritage that they must be seperated, reiterated, further contemplated, cogitated, and ruminated until your perotid glands are found to have been salivated. But never shall grits be obfuscated, confiscated, amalgamated (with rice; YUCK!), nor regurgitated.

There is no better concise summation on Grit Etiquette to be found. We lovers of Grits must come up with The Ten Commandments of Grits so the Lost may have a Mandate by which to avoid culinary perdition.  I will give the first one . . .

The Ten Commandments of Grits

Thou shalt never mix Grits with stuff, but mayest freely mix proper Southern Stuff with Grits.

Grits shall never be considered a side dish; thou shalt relish no other millground granules before them.

We need eight more . . . (Grit Haters politley asked to refrain from Grit Blasphemy). ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

JAMES G

Thou shall not make instant grits!

limbrat

Is adding raw grits to a soup as it cooks to act as a thickner a violation of the first commandment. If it how do i redeam my self?
ben

Radar67

Put the grits in first....
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

TexasTimbers

Radar is a Grit Commando.

DanG

Thou shalt not attempt to coerce the unenlightened to try grits.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

TexasTimbers

So far so good, but maybe we need to have a 3-panel International Grit Board of Directors, to approve the Commandments, and make sure no sacrilige finds its way in. How about the only 3 requirements for the Directors be that 1) A Director must be a known Grit eater of Southern lineage, or else if a Yankee, he/she must have clearly demonstrated a true appreciation and love for Grits and Grit heritage, having never insulted the institution of Grits. 2) Have at least 7 years experience eating Grits at least six times a year on average (honor system) and 3) Be at least 50 years of age. We can't entrust Grit oversight to kids. That means I can't serve for another year and a month.

I nominate DanG as Senior Director, and his first official act as Senior Director is to choose a second Director, who also then nominates a 3rd panelist whom DanG must also approve. All Commandments must have unanimous approval of all 3 board members to pass. The existing 4 offerings cannot be grandfathered in, and must be the first order of business once the Board is empaneled.

Once the Board is empaneled, they may make necessary changes to these guidelines, and have the power to make laws and pass other such rules and regulations as they see fit for the betterment of all Gritkind.

Anyone, pro-Grits or anti-Grits may offer a suggestion for a Commandment but it must be approved unanimously by the IGBD.

Grits is, after all, serious business.

So far we have four suggestions . . . .

• Thou shalt never mix Grits with stuff, but mayest freely mix proper Southern Stuff with Grits.
  • Grits shall never be considered a side dish; thou shalt relish no other millground granules before them.
  • Thou shall not make instant Grits, nor have them in thy pantry.
  • Thou shalt not attempt to coerce the unenlightened to try Grits.

Thank You Sponsors!