iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Troll Pie

Started by Jeff, December 02, 2007, 06:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

We make this dish up at the cabin in the U.P. generally a couple times during deer season.  The U.P. Yoopers are well known for their Pasties. Little self contained meat pies. Well, we are only wanna-be yoopers as we were not born there. We dont feel its right to call our creations pasties even though they have many of the same ingredients. Besides, were lazy sometimes and sometimes buy pre-made pie crusts to make them rather then rolling out the dough.

Since one of the names Yoopers call those of us that live under the bridge is a troll, we decided to call these Troll Pies.  :)

We make up two or three or four or five at a time and usually eat one fresh and refrigerate or freeze the others and heat a slice at a time.  The pictured pie is one that we had refrigerated. We like to eat them with a mushroom gravy.  The Troll pie is made with potatoes, carrots, rutabaga, onion and venison burger. Pete and I ate two of them in two days.  ;D

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

That looks like fine eating.  8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Reddog

Ya it's troll-ified eh, with all dat gravy on it. 

Looks good thought. :)

limbrat

That does look good  We do something like that with left over stew. Just roll out some biscket dough for the top and bottom crust add 3 tbl spoons of desolved corn starch to the stew and cut the big stuff in the stew up like boiled eggs or hunks of turnip or taters. Put the top on it and bake it till the top turns light brown let it cool and that stuffs good. I like the pork and chicken the beef dont thrill me but i aint much on beef stew any way
ben

Roxie

That sure looks good.  I hope Cowboy Bob doesn't see that, he'll raise a ruckus till I make one.   ::)
Say when

Jeff

were making up a batch of troll pies today. some ta eat and some ta freeze.  :)

Radar67

You know you have to post the recipe here? ....right? ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ely

start with 1 large troll: jeff?...............jeff? ;D

Jeff

Quote from: Radar67 on January 03, 2008, 02:38:08 PM
You know you have to post the recipe here? ....right? ;)

I can do that. :)

Quote from: ely on January 03, 2008, 02:41:33 PM
start with 1 large troll: jeff?...............jeff? ;D

Yep, thats how this batch got underway.  ;D

Mebby I better post a picture of the progress...

Jeff

Jeff

Their getting close. Ready for the oven.

Here's the simple recipe as of how we did it today.

1 rutabaga, mebby 5" diameter
6 medium sized potatoes
2 large carrots.
2 Lbs ground beef or venison
2 large onions
2 cans of muchrooms
pepper, garlic powder

3 frozen pie crusts or your favorite pie crust recipe. (we were going to use four today, but there was not enough filling on completion)

Chop the onions coarsely and brown with with ground beef until ground beef is just cooked in a very large skillet.
Add Diced rutabaga first and cook for about 5 minutes, then add potatoes, carrots and the two cans of mushrooms. Season with pepper and Garlic Powder to taste. Some like salt, but I don't cook with salt as a rule.

Cover to cook, but uncovering and stirring frequently.  Once the rutabaga is done, which takes the longest, remove from heat. Fill your pie crusts to slightly overfull, then place the crust top on your pies. Bake in a 350° oven until crust is brown.  We serve with Mushroom gravy or without. Whatever you like. :)

Ours are in the oven now and starting to make the house smell pretty durn good. Refer to the first photos forthe finished product, as it'll look about the same.

flip

Yuck!! How can you eat that?!?!  Send it ALL to me right away and I will properly ;) dispose of it and you can make something else for me better for you.  I will send you the proper "disposal" container to you prepaid shipping ;) ;D
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

flip

Errr, excuse me while I wring the drool from my shirt.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

ely

jeff looks great but i have a couple ?
1st what did you sprinkle into the pie crusts before you dump in the filling?
2nd- what the crap is a ruta baga? what does it tatse like.? fruit or veggie?

Jeff

Thats a little flour in the pie shell that was there to keep them from sticking together, as they were pre-prepared crusts and one was in the other.  Rutabaga is da fruit of da yooper. :)

Similar to a turnip but tastes more like a potato but much firmer. We love em.

ely

ok thanks, now i am ready to try it out. with just a few twists and substitutions,of course. ;)

Norm

I do too, we put them in many of our soups and stews for added flavoring. I have to be honest though, I've never had one of those you're cooking. Too bad UPS couldn't get one here in one piece. ;)

Jeff

Really Norm? No rutabaga there?

Norm

Sorry Jeff I should have been more clear. I've never had the meat pie you're making. I probably was offered it as a kid but was a very fussy eater. Too bad for me, I missed out on some very good meals because I wouldn't try stuff.

Now I will say that it was only in the last 10 years or so that I tried rutabagas. I'm going to grow some in the garden this year. I wonder how well they keep?

Jeff

They dont keep well Norm. They need to be waxed.

Jeff

Oh man, that was good. :)

beenthere

Hope you didn't eat the whole thing.... ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

nope, one slice for me. Granola is in the oven for a snack. Stacy and a friend and her toddler were here, plus Jeremy stopped by to use the computer. We all ate and there is a pie and a half left. ;D

Burlkraft

Ya gotta send me yer granola recipe
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Reddog

Thank You Sponsors!