iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much help should I have on hand for a concrete pour?

Started by Modat22, April 03, 2008, 08:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmfromkansas

Had to chime in, as I have had trouble with pours in the past, being the second load of the day.  The concrete company will have some unused concrete left in the truck and add some to it and bring it out to you.  That is "hot mud" and about the time you get it unloaded, it will start to set up.  We now have a company that mixes the mud on the job, they have 5 trucks, and haul the gravel, sand, water and cement and mix it in the chute as they unload it.  No more hot mud.  And they charge for exactly what they unload.  Best mud I have ever had on the job.  Did a couple concrete jobs this fall, one was a stem wall for a neighbor, then the neighbors helped me replace the slab in front of my garage that had settled.  We had 4 guys for the stem wall and 5 guys for the slab, which were tiny compared to what the thread was talking about.  Personally, I would divide a slab up into 10 or 12' strips. And always use a plate compactor before pouring concrete.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

barbender

I have quite a bit of experience in and around concrete. Pouring it, and I ran mixer truck part time for 7 years or so. On a professional flatwork crew, 3-4 guys is plenty. On a weekend pour your own project, with willing backs but not everyone knows what their doing and even the ones that do, don't pour mud on the daily you can figure twice as many. I have had what I thought was too many people show up for pours before, I was wrong and they went home wore out. Have plenty of help, there's no worse feeling than a slab getting away from you.
Too many irons in the fire

KWH

Tom King

Quote from: wildtmpckjzg on January 21, 2023, 02:57:33 PM
Quote from: Gary_C on April 03, 2008, 09:23:54 AM
It all depends on how well you are set up and prepared.

How wide of a pour are you planning?
How well are your forms leveled and braced?
How well is your base compacted?
Why eight inches thick?
What strength concrete?
Are you planning a pumper to place the concrete?
Do you have a good cement finisher lined up or will you be happy with water standing on the floor?

If you do not have good answers to these questions, best advice would be to hire a local contractor to advise you and do the pour for you. Concrete is very unforgiving and expensive, especially for 60 or more yards.
polished concrete gympie
What's the biggest concrete job you guys have done on your own? Its the one biggest obstacle standing in my way.
Just judging by this question, you need more help.  Anything over 12' wide, I want someone on the other end of the screed, and someone else to keep all the tools clean.  This if the truck can back up to the pour.  

I'd wait for the perfect conditions too, but even with the best of those plans, sometimes it goes sideways.  I remember one pour when it was supposed to be 64 degrees, but by the time I put the finishing blades on the trowel machine it was close to midnight and snowing.  I remember that like it was last night, but it was in 1981 when weather reports weren't as good as they are now, and the bulletproof youth I was then has been replaced by experience since then.

This with people who had done it before with me.  Any floor over 12x12, I want two more helpers, and I don't have a good reason to do another one that size by myself.

The one tool a lot of people try to get by without is a roller tamper.  Every step needs to be done correctly, or it will work you to death.  A roller tamper is probably the best investment you can make.
I found a video that shows one in use:

Concrete Roller Tamper - The Barndominium Show E133 - YouTube

Notice how many guys he has on that job, and that they keep the tools clean.  The edges have to be worked by hand as good as modern tools are.

Tom King

jmouton

lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

jmouton

4 really good people,,,,,,i have done concrete for 34 yrs
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Thank You Sponsors!