iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slow Cooker Cooking

Started by LeeB, December 06, 2008, 06:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Anybody got a good recipe for chicken and sausage gumbo in a crock pot?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

zopi

1/2 a young hen boned out...Me, I prefer all dark meat..
a pound of Andouille sausage
half stick of butter
3-6 cloves garlic minced..not that canned crap..
1 large bell pepper
1 large white onion
3-4 stalks celery..peeled
1/2 cup flour
2 bay leaves
Old bay or Tony Cachere's
salt black pepper to taste
1 bunch fresh parsley
hand full of scallion tops..
chicken base
1/4-1/2 cup white rice...Unca Bens or other perverted brand rice is fine..
gonna take a couple pans though..

Sear the chicken and sausage together..leave the drippings in the skillet..put the seared meat into the crock pot with a little water to start it...add the butter and chopped celery to the skillet and begin to clarify, once it moves on a bit add the chopped white onion,  bell pepper, and flour cook until nearly clarified..add half the minced garlic..just long enough to get it sweating..deglaze the skillet with a little water, (I prefer a bit of light red wine..JuiceTahn Wilson style..dats gonbegoooodyeah!) anyway..move all that into the crock with the meat..add SOME salt, pepper,
and the seasonings as desired along with the other half of the garlic and bay leaves..you may want to add a little chicken base or stock...your taste..

let that sucker simmer...

about and hour before you are ready to hog off that stuff...chop up a little parsley and scallion top,
and add that...reserve a bit to sprinkle on top fresh like..add the rice at this time..or cook it before hand and serve the gumbo over the rice..(but that's communist..)

you might want a bit of File (powdered sassafrass root..not iron  :D)powder right at the end..up to you..

Disclaimer: This is the way I make gumbo...and I dabble as I cook, so it is in no way
precise or fire and forget...so taste often and cook to the way you like it!

about and hour be

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

LeeB

Sounds good. Pretty much what I'm doing right now. I started before you replied. Have to settle for some lesser than andouille sausage that one of the guys brings from Scotland. No pork to be had here local. I make my rue seperate from the arromatics. Alas I'm also sorely lacking for spices. They just don't use many over here. I have a few that I brought from home but not much. However it turns out it has to be better than the cr*p they serve in the mess here. I brought a crock pot with me this time, at quite a hefty price for excess bagage, so myself and the other American on board can eat a little something akin to what we like. Had 15bean soup the other day. Like to hurt myself on that. The beans availible here are real plain and the cooks use little or no seasoning in them. Enough whining. You'd thinkl I was starving to death instead of being big around as a Volkswagon. :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

LeeB

zopi

Oh THAT blows...the heyjoes'll drive ya nutz...

Ironically two of the best meals I ever ate was in Hurghada..one was a banquet in one of the big hotels, and the other was sausage, fish and pasta on the deck of a dive boat right after a deep wall dive and a close encounter with a black tip reef shark...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

come to think of it there is a scarab from that trip on my nightstand...guy was right about it...good for fertility...three kidz later....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

LeeB

Even with the meager supplies on hand the gumbo turned out pretty good. I had a big serving of it yesterday and finished it off tonight. Now to figure out what's next?

zopi

Ya can get goat or sheep right? getcha a butt roast or whatever chunk of meat you can...ketchup
vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, pepper of whateer sort you can get, I'd even try curry powder
Maybe some worcestershire...liquid smoke, which can be made in a pinch...some hot sauce, whatever..

make a rub with pepper, salt, garlic paprika..whatever and braise the meat for a few hours...make up the sauce with whatever other heat source you can dig up....BBQ!

hot sauce makes almost anything edible!

I will be flying over you midday the day after tomorrow. Wish I was there...I love producing good food from wotchahgot..always a challenge.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

hmm..you've got the makings of a roux...make a pale blonde roux..and reserve, simmer milk with half an onion, maybe a bay leaf, and some clove..or nutmeg in a pinch...just a little bit of spice..add the roux and bring to a boil just like making cream gravy...that's bechamel sauce, add parmesan cheese and a little garlic for a good alfredo..add a little butter ans swirl it in just before you serve...have that with chicken slow cooked in the crock...

make the same sauce and add curry powder and whatever other spices you want...can curry any
meat out there...

same sauce, but use the stock from pot roast..again..whatever meat you can get..brown gravy..add a little of that skull splitting red wine they have over there (if you can get it) and some canned
mushrooms..or fresh if you have...

tomato sauce, herbs, garlic, chopped olives onion, more garlic....again whatever meat you have...chicken catiatori (I can cook it, can't spell it) or done with rabbit if you can get it..

If you are close to the red sea, there are all kinds of nice fish available...fish chowder...although
with sheep or goat milk, I might pass on it..

I flat grossed a dive master out in Hurghada once...came up with a handful of sea urchin...cracked 'em and ate the eggs raw...I thought he was gonna puke...good stuff..at 90 bucks a half pound in New York...and doesn't get any fresher..

Guess you are sick of Shwarma, eh?

oh jeez...mutton...braised shank or chop of mutton..rock on!

hmm..olive oil..common over there...braise a chicken cut in halves in olive oil with garlic and/or onion
and those fat black olives...

No dates...I hate dates.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

LeeB

Great ideas zopi. No can do most of them. If I was on land maybe. Out here on the rig, most of this stuff just ain't to be had. When I say spices are limited, I mean I got salt pepper, cumin, a mild ground chili, curry powder, and whatever varieties of Mrs Dash I smuggle in in my luggage. Meats are pretty much beef, beef, chicken, beef, chicken, and chicken, some fish, squid and shrimp once or twice a month. I do have bacon with my breakfast. I smuggle it in too. Aromatics leave a bit to want for. Sometimes available, ie right after the grocery order comes in, sometimes not. Not much in the way of veggies either. Lots of tomatoes and cukes. Lettuce every now and then. Carrots about half the time. Cabbage, occasionally okra, and rarely cauliflower. Not much else. We do gewt olives, green and black but the quality is poor. No woshesticher sauce. Yes to the Ketchup, mustard and Mayo. Mayo can range any where from mayo to miricale whip from one jar to the next, same brand. We also get a steak sauce called H&P, much like A1. Hot sauce is about like cheap brands of louisiana hot sauce. I just to complain about the food we got in the G.O.M., but if I ever go back to working the again I'll never say a word. I would fight you for a corny dog right now.

zopi

Bummer...didn't realize you were out on the rig...Hell I'll probably sail by you in a couple months...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

LeeB

If you come down the Suez Canal you most likely will. We're right out of Port Said in the Med. Blow your horn on the way by. How long you gonna be out?

zopi

I should be back stateside in april sometime...no idea where I am actually going.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!