iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

40% treated posts Vs Eastern Red Cedar

Started by peter nap, February 11, 2009, 09:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter nap

Which would be the most rot resistant for a pole barn?

I am having trouble finding 60% in long poles.

Stan snider

Treated posts will outlast cedar by many years here in Oklahoma. This may vary by region.

Raphael

The ERC heartwood will outlast the 40% treated but the sapwood will not if it's used untreated in buried or wet usage situations.  I've seen a fully round ERC post break a Buick after being buried ~60yrs. (to be fair I'm sure it was the driest post location in the barn).
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Dodgy Loner

I would square up the ERC posts to remove most of the sapwood.  The heartwood of ERC will give you many years of service.  I would be surprised if you don't get 50 years out of it.  I don't have quite the same faith in these new treatments that I had in the CCA treatment, so if the ERC is cheaper and easier to get, I would go with that.  However, I wouldn't pay a premium to use ERC if you have to buy the posts.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

peter nap

Thanks Guys !

I think I'll give then a try. I have a good many cedars in an area where I wanted to put apple trees in, so they have to go anyway to eliminate the possibility of rust.

Dodgy Loner

Well then, it's an easy call for you!  Get rid of the cedars an acquire some posts for your pole barn in one fell swoop :).  Let us know how it goes.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!