iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buckwheat Pancakes

Started by SwampDonkey, October 01, 2010, 03:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Yes, I got a bag of local buckwheat flour produced not far from here.

1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt

Mix dry ingredients well then add wet ingredients.

1 egg
3/4 cup milk (an extra 1/4 cup for thinner pancakes)

Get pre-greased or oiled griddle on stove top burner hot on medium heat.
Pour 1/4 cup of batter on frying pan
Flip when bubbles begin to form, then 45-50 seconds before serving.
Makes 3 medium pancakes that will rise a little more without the extra milk.

Here's that buckwheat flour. Apparently, it's a Japanese variety.

Get the coffee going to.

Try some apple butter.

Try some apricot jam.

Or the old stand-bye, maple syrup. But you know, some folks preferred molasses. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Just like momma use to make. (she still does) :)

Raider Bill

Oh man my favorite kind of pancake! Buckwheat!
My Dad used to send me 20 lbs of New York Mills buckwheat pancake flour and a gallon on local NYS syup every year. I buy a side of fresh smoked bacon and a whole country ham from Tenn to go with.
I always fry the pancakes in the bacon fat!
These babies are buckwheat with fresh peaches!
Fresh Costa Rican coffee, sitting on my hill watching the mountains go by. Now that's pancake time!

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

Your sure right, hard to beat buckwheat or good maple syrup for that matter. Although, I'm not a big consumer of syrup, I must consume a couple or three lbs of buckwheat pancakes a month. Oh, it's just so much better than that factory mass produced stuff. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

We have a buckwheat pancake event near here twice a year. Going ot it next week or two.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Norm

We used to get a buckwheat pancake mix that was awesome. Been a few years but after those pictures I'm going to make some up. :)

Burlkraft

Mmmmmmm I love buckwheat pancakes  digin1 digin1 digin1

Maybe I can get Jill to..........

Awww nevermind she ain't cooked a lick since we got home  :-\ :-\
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

Marriage changes all that , so they say. :D :D

Don_Papenburg

I used to add buckwheat flower to my pancakes .  It would make them puff up about twice what whole wheat flower did.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

isawlogs

Ah ! Buckwheat, best honey one can get, one of the best deer attractent one can sow.. and the best pancakes one can cook ..  :)  Its the best all round food .  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Might as well add the blueberry version, with low sugar berry jam. ;D

Guess what's for breakfast. :)

Jeff

Who cut your meat up for you? ;D ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Patty

It is funny that you pointed that out Jeff! I do the same thing as Donk. When I sit down to my meal, I cut up my meat into tiny little peaces before I begin eating. That way there is no need to stop midway through my meal to cut up meat. I was well into my 40's before I learned this was somehow bad manners to do this, but I do not care. I figure this habit was reinforced when I had kids and needed to cut up the meat on their plate.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

I think it's fine manners, because I don't stuff'm in whole. :D I cut the sausage up as the pancakes are frying. No time to waste, just pure enjoyment of every mouthful.

mmmmmmm, some good to. ;)

Oh, and the buckwheat must be a different variety than when I was a kid at grandmother's. Her buckwheat was ash gray, and that's the kind I like the best. Can't get it locally, but at one bulk store. I think what they grow here now is a Japanese variety.

SPIKER

Used to be able to get real stone ground buckwheat mix back when I was young and then the mill closed, when I was a teenager they re-opened it as a novelty/demonstration unit.   I dont know if it is still open or how long it remained a demonstration unit but sure was fun.   Went there in FFA as it was right down the road from my older brothers buddies house on the banks of the Black River in Ohio.  Spencer Ohio out in the sticks more specifically...   It was run off a belt & a old JD tractor after a flood tore out the water wheel sometime in the 70's if I remember right along with a gradual loss of water level in that portion of the river.   I fished that river a LOT got many a sucker, small mouth turtle and bullheads.   Every now and again a crayfish the size of a small lobster or large mouth would happen by or a hapless sunfish.   was a lot of food on the table from that river...   back in 78 and again in like 80 or so a rail train wrecks spilled chemicals into it and killed most of the fish all way to lake erie :(   I do fish there a bit over the last decade a few times and it is teaming with life again...   At the mouth in Lake Erie in 2000 or so my brother an I fished it a LOT boating some really BIG small mouth and nice walleye too.   I got 10 or so over 6lbs that year and hundreds in the 3~5lb range.   1~4lbs were eaters, wish I mounted some of those 6 pounders...

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

The fellow that began this gris mill was a forester from the State of Washington who came here about 40 years ago I would say. He sold it to a local family who have run it now for about 10 years. He still lives nearby the mill. The old fella used to buy wheat from father for his cereals and flour.   I buy their things all the time, they have a lot of other grains and stuff I have never even tried. Darn lucky to have'm. 8)

tractormanNwv

Speaking of Buckwheat pancakes  ( my personal favorite ).....I would love to have a couple bushel of buckwheat to run through my meadows stone mill, yum yum.  Swampdonkey if you get on You-tube and punch in  T&R Farms sorguhm making, you will see that some of us are still into molasses, I'm the narrator on the 2nd film.  Punch in  Vintage Pride Antique tractor cornmeal grinding and you will see my mill at our local tractor show making cornmeal.

Jim

SwampDonkey

Dial-up connection limits what I can do. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!