Main Menu

Sponsors:

Frying Turkey

Started by Tom, December 28, 2003, 06:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Frying Turkey has gotten to be the popular way to prepare a holiday meal. It is a lot quicker than the oven.

A gas fired pot with a couple of gallons of vegetable oil in it brought to 350 degrees and the turkey submerged for 3 and a half minutes a pound makes for a delicious, moist turkey with a crunchy outside in less than half the time it takes in an oven.  You will fight over the crusty skin and the favorite pieces will be the wings. It's gnawing good. ;D

My Brother-in-law frying the turkey for Christmas 2003.

shopteacher

I want a retake on my vote, I thought you were taking bout frying it in a pan like chicken.  I don't think I'd want to tell your brother-in-law I didn't enjoy his cooking, from the looks of that picture.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Tom

He's serious about his fried turkey, Shopteacher. :D

You can't get too close or he scowls.  'Course I wouldn't reach into that pot for a bite on a bet. :D :D

DanG

I've had fried turkey a couple of times. It makes for good munching, but ain't my favorite method of cooking a holiday meal. Just call me old fashioned, but I prefer it cooked in the oven with plenty of my Mama's pan dressing and giblet gravy.

Tom, I'm surprised you got any of that turkey! B-I-L looks like he's guarding it pretty close. I think I've seen him on America's Most Wanted. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

I got a big package of turkey wing drummies in the freezer. I think I'll save'em for Halloween, then fire up the deep frier, and we can "bob for drummies."   ;D :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Will you be there when "John" gets there? :D

Bibbyman

Had fried turkey but not boiled in oil like you've got pictured but fried in a skillet like any other meet.  Son Chris does wild turkey that way - just skins out the brest and slices it.

It's was just fine.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sawwood

I have had Deep Fried Turkey that a coworker brought in.
 Sure was good. My son and me fix the Christmas dinner
 each year. This year we had smoked brisket, bake potatoes,
 green beans and the grass stuff in a bowl. And some Beer
 to wash it down.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

DanG

"Brutha, if you ain't John, I'm GONE! :o :o
 :D :D :D :D :D :D

BW_Williams

These deep fryers have been known to burn the deck their setting on (and scald the double wide too) so be carefull when you all drop the bird in!  It was pretty comical a couple Thanksgivings ago we had most fire trucks rolling to fire related to deep fryin' turkeys with some boiling volunteers that had to get up from thier Thanksgining meal!  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

pappy

BW
My brother almost burnt his log home down with one of them deep fryers,  Was cooking on the front porch and like always just when nobody was lookin' it caught on the railing then started running up the 6 X 6 post when somebody seen what was happening.  With quick thinking they got the fire under control..  Need least to say when they cook with that sucker it's out in the driveway..rain or shine, just set up a tarp, that's all.

I've had turkey-day turkey and hot wings cooked in one of them cookers and it was great,  gonna get me one someday.

termite
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

shopteacher

A guy nearby was using one of them cooker to deep fry turkey and decided to make some french fries.  I guess he never thought about oil and water don't mix. Put himself in the hospital with first degree burns from the waist up.  Needless to say he no longer uses the cooker.  Old Butch don't like fried foods, says it got to much cholesstreeoil in it and you can see what what a healthy, good looking pup he is. :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Tom

You need to dry stuff before putting it in deep, hot oil regardless of whether its on a propane burner or an electric stove. These propane fired deep cookers are great for fish fries, potatoes, chicken, turkey and most anything else requires deep frying.  I'm amazed at the small amount of oil that follows the food when it's removed from the pot.

You can even buy a thin disc that protects your lawn or patio from the heat or small amounts of grease splatter.

It's prudent for anyone deep frying to learn the safe way to do it.  Hot grease is very unforgiving.

Corley5

I've been frying a turkey for Thanksgiving for several years.  They always turn out good.  Moist and juicy 8) 8) 8).  I do em in the yard in front of the woodshed.  It's out of the wind and away from the house.  I always have a fire extinguisher on hand though.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ed_K

My BIL just loves to do turkey's this way. He's always saying, you have to towel dry before putting anything in.
 BTW, he looks a lot like your BIL, Tom  ;).
Ed K

pappy

There's got to be some sort of warning label and a list of cautions that come with them cookers for people with no common sense but people without common sense don't have no sense at all I guess??  :(

READ YOUR INSTRUCTIONS PEOPLE!!!  :P  :P

Sorry I'm talking loud again.

termite
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Ron Scott

Just on the local TV news last night where a couple in a nearby town burned their home & day care business and attached garage down. All was a total loss.

The husband was frying a turkey in the garage; he evidently left it a short time, heard a large pop and everything went up in flame burning all structures to the ground. A sad sight on the TV news.

I guess the safety instructions, if any, weren't read.

~Ron

ADfields

I been doing it for years but not for the Thanksgiving dinner, I like the oven way drowned in butter for that! ;)

Who remembers the TV outdoors/hunting show that the two guys went to fry a bird over a camp fire for the show?   They filled the pot to the brim with oil and stood around talking as it got hot.   Then they got on each end of a big stick with the bird in the center and lowered it into the oil. :D :D :D :D :D   The oil promptly over flowed the pot and flared up in the fire burning their hands and they dropped the hole bird in the pot. :o :o   The fire was 10 or 15 feet high as they stood back talking like TV people do about how they could get the thing out if the flames go down a bit!!! :D :D :D :D :D   It was the best side splitter I ever watched on a bloopers show!
Andy

Percy

Confusious say: Turkey no fry, much too big, wings too small,Turkey walk on ground.  ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.