iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulled pork

Started by okmulch, March 04, 2012, 07:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aigheadish

Machinebuilder- how do you keep the temps up for that long? Don't you have to add charcoal? Does the BGE have a hatch for adding more? I felt like I had to open my grill more frequently than I'd liked to see if the temps were working out.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

stavebuyer

I know it's insulting to the purists but as btulloh said throw a Boston Butt into the crock pot and hit start. I shred it after about 6-8 hours, sprinkle a little extra dry rub and let it simmer some more. May not win the cookoff but as good or better than most roadside stands. 

Machinebuilder

Aigheadish, it really comes down to the charcoal......and the control of the egg, I have control at the bottom and the top, a thermometer in the lid lets me know where I am.

The BGE is so well insulated it doesn't take much fire. a good side effect is you don't get too much smoke in the meat.

Some charcoal burns fast and hot, some burns slow and not so hot.

For long cooks I keep a bag of a mesquite lump from Gordon Food Service, some of the lumps are huge.
For quicker hotter cooks Royal Oak lump works well, and is not too hard to find. mainly steaks, super hot and fast, cooked to RARE in a couple minutes.

I experiment with others, some I will never buy again because they burned too hot and fast.

I did experiment with making my own, I do have a pretty good size pile of slabs to use. It worked pretty good, it was just a mix of scrap wood I wanted to get rid of anyway.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

okmulch

I started making a new slaw using siracha Mayo, honey, red onion, and cabbage. It's outstanding! 
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

aigheadish

Thanks Machinebuilder. I just started using lump charcoal rather than Kingsford chemical briquettes or whatever. I like the lump a lot better. What I've got so far is a decent mix of big chunks and small chunks. Mine would stay relatively hot but I didn't trust my thermometer on the lid and things looked like they were cooling down so I added more. It also sounds like I used much more cherry for smoking than maybe I should have. I tried to keep it smoking hard for the 5 or so hours it was cooking without being wrapped in foil. I don't really know what is advisable for the smoking amount.

I've cooked my pulled pork several times in the crockpot and I agree that it's easy and still pretty tasty.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

WDH

I have a simple kettle grill so temp control is a challenge.  I brine the pork butt the night before then apply the rub or if not brined, I rub it and leave in the fridge the night before like machinebuilder.  I have a simple kettle grill so what I find that works extremely well is to put a modest amount of charcoal all on one side and add the smoking wood chunks of my choice (cherry, pecan, and white oak are my favorites) and let the butt smoke on the grill with low heat for 2 hours.  The key here is low heat and lots of smoke.  After 2 hours, the meat has all the smoke that it needs, and then I take the butt off and put it in the crock pot (similar to Stavebuyers approach) with NO added liquid and let it cook on low for 8 hours.  After that it is so tender that I simple shred it in the crock pot with two forks.  It has just the right amount of smoke flavor, the liquid in the crock pots gives the meat the perfect moistness, and I did not have to babysit a simple kettle grill for hours. 

The key is to avoid using too much charcoal in the beginning and getting the grill too hot and to make sure that you have good smoke for the initial 2 hours on the grill.  As long as there is good smoke and the temp is not over 300 degrees on the grill, you are good.  The long slow low temp cook in the crock pot produces the perfect tenderness. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kantuckid

Quote from: stavebuyer on July 28, 2022, 02:58:01 PM
I know it's insulting to the purists but as btulloh said throw a Boston Butt into the crock pot and hit start. I shred it after about 6-8 hours, sprinkle a little extra dry rub and let it simmer some more. May not win the cookoff but as good or better than most roadside stands.
Thats sort of what I do. Last week, I started a brisket on my charcoal grill, tending it closely for an hour or so while marinating with water and my dry rub used overnight. Thats get my smoke job and also colors up the outside of the cut. With pulled pork it matters less but the smoke off wood and charcoal doesn't happen in a crockpot.  I then brought in inside placed in a baking dish and slow cooked for several hours under highly controlled slow oven temps that are not possible to have on my small charcoal outfit.
The BGE's allow fine degree of control but also cost a bunch. 
I bury my wet smoke wood chunk/s down inside the pile of charcoal formed in a pyramid to light.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

aigheadish

Interesting notes, thanks fellas. I'll have to try again sometime with some of the lessons learned here. I've just learned of a fish market nearby that is supposed to have really good stuff. Maybe I'll try that next. 

Machinebuilder

I often see comments about the BGE cost.

yes the are not inexpensive, BUT I've had mine for at least 20 years.
I know people that replace cheap gas grills every couple years.

so I think I paid about $1000 for my BGE and some accessories, that's about $50/ year.

If I didn't have the BGE I would use a Weber kettle grill or a PK Grill.

Aigheadish, be careful grilling fish, it will cook fast and dry out, to smoke it properly I think you need an electric smoker.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Raider Bill

I had a bge years ago, it walked off while I was in tenn.
I liked it although there's is a learning curve.
I use my weber kettle for any grilling needing done.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

kantuckid

Quote from: Machinebuilder on July 29, 2022, 12:12:27 PM
I often see comments about the BGE cost.

yes the are not inexpensive, BUT I've had mine for at least 20 years.
I know people that replace cheap gas grills every couple years.

so I think I paid about $1000 for my BGE and some accessories, that's about $50/ year.

If I didn't have the BGE I would use a Weber kettle grill or a PK Grill.

Aigheadish, be careful grilling fish, it will cook fast and dry out, to smoke it properly I think you need an electric smoker.
We visited an Alaskan Salmon Bake, located outside Junea, AK for supper on night. They cooked only salmon a wood fire pit as "Bakes" do. 
I have never had salmon I liked in a restaurant (fishy!) but that was an exception. Yes, I love most fish and salmon patties. 
 Honestly, it reminded me of a grilled pork chop. Definitely not dry as they marinated the fish. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Ianab

You guys are putting me to shame. 

I do mine in the slow cooker. Seasoned up as usual, with an onion / bbq / stock and then just leave it alone for 10 hours. Might be cheating, but it's easy, and it tastes GOOD.  ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

aigheadish

Obviously off the pulled pork topic but I got a couple swordfish steaks and a couple slabs of cod from the local "expensive" market, not the fish market I spoke of above. The swordfish was quite expensive at about 30 bucks a pound and I think the cod was like 16 bucks or so. I don't know prices on stuff like this and both claimed to be wild caught or some other PR lingo that I read as more expensive than normal.

I did some very simple garlic, butter, olive oil, dill or oregano marinades for a few hours. On the grill, they were both very tasty. Both cooked nicely but the swordfish really was like a steak, it held together nicely and grilled beautifully. The cod cooked a bit less nicely but I took it off the grill a bit on the rare side, to let it finish cooking off the heat. Quite good, now I'll have to look for swordfish more often.

I also just bought a vacuum sealer that is supposed to show up today, I'm really looking forward to that for sucking the marinades into the meats! Woop!

Raider Bill

What type of sealer?

I bought a chamber sealer about a year ago. I like it for everything but liquids.

Kept wearing out the food saver types but still use one for the wet bags.

aigheadish

Looks to be some crap from China, low-end of the price range, company called Geryon. Looking at my tracking though it's gone from delivering today to delivering on the 12th, and upon going to the product page it's saying it's currently unavailable. I'm thinking maybe I should cancel it and get a different one. Now that you mention the liquid part maybe I need to refine my search anyway. I didn't think about or know the part where it may not be useful for the marinades I'd like to infuse in my foods... I'm not sure what type I want.

This one has a hose coming off it that you can attach to what I assume is a proprietary container, I don't know if that'd be useful.

Edit- Canceled the first one and got this one instead. Similarly inexpensive and if I determine I need something better because I've used this one to pieces then I'll be ok with that. Supposed to show up tomorrow.

Raider Bill

You will be able to do liquids with that. Just hold the bag lower than the machine.
Mine, the bag lays on it's side so much more that a few cups and it leaks.

This is the one I bought.
VEVOR Commercial Vacuum Sealer System Food Saver Sealing Machine Chamber Packing 7437136048898 | eBay

It works great for dry bags.

aigheadish

I was hoping that just letting the bag hang off the counter would do that, thanks.

Your machine looks pretty fancy! After reading around a little it looked like the chamber ones were good for liquids... I guess I'm misunderstanding? 

Raider Bill

It works but the bag lays flat so you can only have about a inch of liquid before it leaks out.

Raider Bill

I had to freeze som sauce so I took these pix to show how shallow my chamber vac pak is.
It draws solids down , tight and quick but I still have to use the food saver for large amount liquids.

aigheadish

I got my sealer running yesterday. She blanched some corn on the cob and vacuumed it up to stick in the freezer. I didn't think, until right this second, that I should have experimented with a bag by tossing some butter in with it... The sealer seems to work pretty well but I'll need to mess with it a bunch more. 

K-Guy

For the last couple weeks reading this has made me want to make pulled pork and this weekend I did. I  bought a refurbished small smoker for  $68 several years ago and this weekend it died, so on the grill it went. Not the best but good but now I have a good reason to get a new one.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

caveman

I smoked a few (16) butts on Friday while 50 lbs of potatoes (I used less garlic salt than those I brought to the project), green beans and baked beans were on the grill.  The picture of the butts was after about 4 1/2 hours and right before they were wrapped/panned.  The bones fell out and they pulled just right.  We had our annual FFA banquet Friday evening.

We had a couple of pans of pork left over.  We will feed the kids who passed industry certification tests one day next week.

Next Saturday I'll be cooking for my youngest daughter's graduation party.  I'll probably do some ribs, butts and Baptist birds along with potatoes, beans and maybe squash.
Caveman

newoodguy78

Impressive grill, I like it. The food looks delicious.
Gotta ask what's a baptist bird?

caveman

Chicken.  Baptists like to eat, and the ones I've been around like to eat chicken, especially if its fried.  
Caveman

K-Guy

Mine must be the devils spawn then as I don't know any Baptists around here!!  smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!