iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

beer cans

Started by Tom L, March 15, 2012, 09:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L

had a buddy stop by yesterday who pulled apart a barn a bunch of years ago. some of the framing was filled with beer cans. so he kept three of the neatest ones and used the rest for target practice. can you believe he sold those three for almost $1500 to a collector,
all the other cans were near the same , he may have shot up 20-30 grand worth of old beer cans.
that's what I call some bad luck.

the only old bottle I ever found was inside a rootball of a tree that blew over on my property.
from the late 1800's, research told me they used it to hold some kind of cocain that was put on babies teeth when they were toothing. big value of that one $4.00 , same kind of bad luck LOL

Chuck White

Hind sight!  :o

I've seen it happen too.

I have an old earthan (or ceramic) bottle that had a stopper of some sort, gone now, and an antique guy was here last summer and he offered me $5.00 for it, I didn't say anything, just turned around and put it back on the shelf!

I also have a Canadian Nickle, dated 1858 and the same guy offered me $.50 for it because they were common and hold little collector value.
When that nickle was new, Abraham Lincoln was still a young man.

I have an old bottle that is imprinted with raised letters and numbers, it is dated 1754.  This same guy said he'd give $5.00 for it.  No way.

So, just got to do some checking before you throw stuff away or sell it.  ;)

Anyone know of a serious antique buyer that could be contacted?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WildDog

In 1994 my final test for my scuba diving cert was in the bay where they used to quarantine new arivals to Sydney in the early colonial days. My instructor and I tagged along with a large group, the day turned real sour and due to conditions and visability the other group returned to the boat. My instructor said just sit on the bottom for 20 minutes and Ill sign you off. Anyway in my stumbles I found the wharf where they unloaded the new arrivals, in the sand around the pillons I was finding old bottles with round balls as stoppers and a few other bits and pieces, wish I had had more time down there.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Chuck White on March 15, 2012, 10:29:30 AM

So, just got to do some checking before you throw stuff away or sell it.  ;)

Anyone know of a serious antique buyer that could be contacted?

Back in the 70's and 80's the next generation pretty much gave everything away in lots when grandmother or mother died. Those antique collectors had it real good. Now you don't hardly see a piece left and most don't collect or hold onto old stuff. My uncle kept all his Grandmother's stuff. Around here on this place it all walked off, but was pretty much sold or given to antique scroungers. The relatives never kept none of it that I've seen. They were afraid that someone else in the family might want it.

I had a good collection of comic books and one day I was told that all walked off with a collector/scrounger without my permission.  Many would be over 30 years old now. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I lost all of my "stuff" when I left home at 17 years of age and never actually lived at home after that.  Sometimes I'll remember something that I once had.  Anyway, I have too much "stuff" now.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

The farm we lived on until I was 10 had a little barn that dad milked in, those walls were stuffed with Prince Albert cans, he smoked a pipe back then and would always drop the tins down the walls when empty.

pineywoods

Quote from: Magicman on March 21, 2012, 09:33:57 AM
  Anyway, I have too much "stuff" now.   :-\

Magic, you don't have too much "stuff". You just don't have enough room to keep it. But you do have the means and space to build a big ole barn  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SwampDonkey

Mom's uncle used then for nail tins. There is probably the same tins on the shelves in the old shed. Nothing much disturbed since the old man died in 1999.

There was all kinds of old tins and bottles around here strewn in the back yard like a garbage dump. We picked up for 20 years around the place. Most stuff was broken or rusted to bits. Funny how some folks can live clean and others want trash and garbage all around them. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

zopi

I am constantly digging up other people's stuff in the backyard..bottle fragments, bits of iron..old harness buckles, horseshoes...place has been here since 1820, so I guess it is to be expected.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Jeff

Quote from: Magicman on March 21, 2012, 09:33:57 AM
I lost all of my "stuff" when I left home at 17 years of age and never actually lived at home after that.  Sometimes I'll remember something that I once had.  Anyway, I have too much "stuff" now.   :-\

That's exactly what happened to me. At one point I went to get my things and found that they had been redistributed because I just left them. Thanks alot mom and dad. :-\   One thing I really wanted was my old but like new Beatles lunch pail and thermos. I would never carry it because I preferred brown bags so I would not have to be burdened with it on my adventures while on my walk home  . Have no idea who got that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

I'm allergic to hops, so I never had beer in the house.  One day, on what I thought would be a routine septic pump out, the septic guy knocked on the back door.  He said, "you might want to see this."  He pointed into the exposed tank, and floating in the muck were six empty beer cans.  Seems my little teenaged angels had hidden their empties by dropping them down the vent pipe.  Creative?  Yes.  Busted?  You betcha!  They did a lot of whining about slavery for the next two months. 
Say when

Den Socling

"I'm allergic to hops, so I never had beer in the house."  :o

Do you collect disability?

WH_Conley

I think that would be a justifiable reason.
Bill

Roxie

Yes, it's very tragic that Jack Daniels is my only friend.   :D
Say when

zopi

it is a fact, that brain eating amoebas will not grow in whiskey..I am therefore safe.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!