iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water additive while sharpening

Started by chet, September 12, 2005, 09:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

Hooked and used the water bath on my woodmizer sharpener tonight. Up to this point I had always ground dry.
Question is, what can I add to the water to keep the newly ground edge bright and shiny.   ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

gmmills

Chet,

I use water soluble oil, machinist oil. Mix 4 oz. of oil to one gallon of water. The oil film left on the sharpener and the blade does a great job of keeping them rust free. Think you will find with wet grinding you will be able to grind a little heavier and not burn the tooth tip.  Less trips around the sharpener to get a sharp tooth.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Gilman

You can buy smaller quart quanties of water soluable oil at NAPA.

Coolant cuts down on grinding dust too.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

chet

Thanks Gilman...........Dat was my next question.   ;D 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

deadeye

chet   all i ever used was a quarter mix of prestone.  works great at removing caked on sap from the blades and keeps them nice and shiney.

woodbowl

Quote from: deadeye on September 13, 2005, 07:27:25 AM
chet all i ever used was a quarter mix of prestone. works great at removing caked on sap from the blades and keeps them nice and shiney.
It also cuts down on the warf rat and squirrell population. if you have an open shop. Just continue to refill the sharpener pan when it mysteriously disappears.  ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

woodmills1

just don't use lestoil, I did and promptly had to replace the grind wheel motor, took the front bearing out.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!