iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what did people do before Yellow Wood pressure treating?

Started by DPForumDog, August 19, 2014, 11:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPForumDog

I am wondering what folks did before you cculd go the store and buy pressure treated wood?   

I have several projects for my husband. I want a gazebo, paviliion, storage shed, etc and I want them made from the trees off our land.   Someone told me that you can soak wood in vegetable oil to preserve it.  Is that what folks use to do?   Also I heard that people use a solution of Copper naftate (similar to sulfate?)

Are there any original wood projects from the 1800s?  What made them last?

Thanks.
Granny DP
DPForumDog 

tag: diy wood preserving pressure treated   do it yourself
Granny DP
DP Forum Dog
lumber pro hd 36

enigmaT120

Cedar.  Juniper.  Black locust???  I think they used rot-resistant woods.  Oh, and don't have the wood touching the ground.  Use a foundation of some kind.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Dave Shepard

Before PT, there was knowledge of wood. In my area, black locust and white oak are long lasting species. As enigmaT120 said, keep it off the ground, and keep it as dry as possible. I've never been very impressed by PT products. I seldom see any PT SYP around here that has more than about 3 rings to the inch, and is very prone to brash failure. After 4 mailbox posts this winter, my neighbor has given up having a mailbox by the road. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DPForumDog

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 19, 2014, 01:16:00 PM
.... I've never been very impressed by PT products. .... :D

It seems like when I look at someone's deck there is always a few pieces that have twisted and knarled.

Thanks
Granny DP
Granny DP
DP Forum Dog
lumber pro hd 36

jwilly3879

Try to just keep the wood dry. Setting posts in crushed stone helps a lot.

gfadvm

There are stilt houses in the swamps of La. made of cypress that are well over 100 years old.

VTwoodworker

There are many timber covered bridges from the 1800s still intact today.  The roofs keep the structural timbers dry.  These bridges were constructed from native timber.  Here in Vermont this was mostly spruce and hemlock.  Deterioration in the covered bridges is associated with leaks or splash zones where the timber is saturated.

I would not recommend the vegetable oil as a treatment.  It could get rancid and have minimal benefits.  The treatment that you refer to is actually copper napthenate.  It would be expensive and is typically used to treat the cut ends of pressure treated material.  Wayne

barbender

PT is really the way to go for anything in ground contact. Southern yellow pine is very strong, just make sure you get good quality lumber. Make sure the retention level of the treatment is high enough for ground contact (.040, .060)
Too many irons in the fire

Thehardway

Yes, use of rot resistant wood was the primary practice but many of those woods are no longer available.  American Chestnut was used in a lot of area but is now gone.  White oak, Black locust, Osage orange, Cypress, Cedar, and Redwood are all rot resistant woods.  Lots of the old-timers used stuff that is frowned on or illegal today for treating lumber that is placed in ground contact.  Things like Creosote, coal tar, kerosene/diesel, burnt cylinder oil, asphalt, pitch and a variety of homebrew solutions.

Copper is effective to kill many insects and fungus, Borate or boric acid is also used sold under the Tim-Bor name as a wood preserver but is water soluable and won't last if exposed.  Crysanthemums contain a natural pesticide called pyrethrin and it discourages/kills bugs.  Also diatomaceous earth kills bugs.

You didn't say what kind of trees you have on your land.  If you can tell us we can give you better guidance.  Without knowing what you have it is hard to say how it would last or best be preserved.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Thank You Sponsors!