iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brought home an orphan….

Started by 78NHTFY, January 06, 2015, 01:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78NHTFY

from the auction and he's now got a safe place out of the weather with the rest of the boys, toys, equipment.  Actually, my accountant made me do it to help on the tax bill--dollar for dollar write off for 2014!  ;) Am pretty excited as this will be a means to get some logs to the mill (6 mi away), get my working yard built and do more projects than I can name.  It's a 2003 Chevy Silverado 4 x 4 with 6.6 Turbo Duramax Diesel.  All injectors changed in 2011, per GM recall.  Drove it 140 mi. home without a hiccup.  So, for $ 12K, did I do OK? All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

78NHTFY

...and, not to forget, G_man, with his pics of his operations with his 1 ton, was a big inspiration for me to get this truck!  Another reason why this Forum is so Dan-g GREAT! 8)

mad murdock

Congrats on the truck. Where I work we have a fleet of them, the newest a 2007, the best years were 2002-2006.  Nice trucks!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

luvmexfood

Can't say for sure in your instance but 3.5 years ago when I was used truck shopping a half/ton, gas engine, 4x4 with an average of say 110,000 miles and with a fair body was around $11,000 to $12,000 on a used car lot. Different brands didn't matter. But they all had one thing in common. After purchasing, your next stop would be the tire shop for 4 tires. So you probably did pretty good.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Maine logger88

Yes I'd say you did alright those Duramax are a good engine!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Warped

Would love a diesel, only problem is finding another carcass to put it in when the originial is junk, especially with NY winters and salt.
And I, buy a truck because I need one, not to get .20 cents back, or whatever your effective tax rate is, for every dollar spent.
Congrats on the truck.....
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

RayMO

Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

lopet

Quote from: 78NHTFY on January 06, 2015, 01:55:22 PM
Actually, my accountant made me do it

Kinda funny, my accountant never made me do things like that. ;D

Congrats on your new toy. A 2003 would be a fairly new truck to me anyways.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

sandhills

My bil has an '02 I believe? close anyway, his also had the injectors replaced under warranty, other than that been a really good pickup.  Congratulations and best of luck with it.

loggah

I bought one in 2002 and still run it at 180,000 miles . had the injectors changed once, never had any other engine trans problems. Gets 20 MPG loaded or empty.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

78NHTFY

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments--helped calm down my post-purchase anxieties :).  Had no idea the mileage was that good 8).  It has 77,000 mi. so, to get to 180,000 would take me a couple of lifetimes :D :D  All the best, Rob.  Will get pics to you shortly....

78NHTFY

Pics, as promised.  First is from the auction; second home safe.    ;
;
Note frame has been completely oil/rubber coated; rusted quarter panels repaired. All the best, Rob.

furltech

Well there is an orphan i would like to adopt .Nice find

Warped

Can't beat a dump truck! Looks good and mileage is low.
Side boards? Hmmmm, just have to find some people with sawmills for a good deal :D
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

snowstorm

i would buy a gal of fulid flim and spray everything under it and the body. the stuff works i buy a case of it every year

GRANITEstateMP

Second the fluid film.  Body shop near me buys it in 55gal drums and undercoats my pickup every year.  I had my brand new dump trailer down as a first stop after buying it (also had the fenders Line-X - I buy stuff to own for the long run).
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

RayMO

Low mileage like that makes it a bargain in my opinion  8)
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

SAnVA

77,000 and a dump bed, 4X4,  diesel , I think you stole that one!! Good luck!

samandothers

You did good!  I had a 2004 with the same engine.  2 sets of injectors on warranty.  When it needed a third set at 240 k I decided it was time to part ways.   

Make sure you do fuel filter as maint calls for.  I actually changed mine each oil change.   

Nice Find.

Maine logger88

I have a 2006 Duramax  3500 srw with 250k on it all original only thing besides normal wear parts tires breaks etc... that I have done to it is a TCM at around 190k it's been a very good pickup. I'd say for a dump with only 77k you did well!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

David-L

Saturate the frame with some used motor oil, you will be happy you did years down the road. I got a 96, 3500 with a 350 Vortec. great trucks. very utilitarian.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Thank You Sponsors!