iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking Delivery

Started by Jeff, March 23, 2017, 07:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

Quote from: Jeff on June 05, 2017, 01:33:28 PM
Today is teach myself how to make double flare brakeline day.

Recently made up some myself.  If I can, you certainly can make brake lines. :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

grouch

Quote from: Jeff on June 05, 2017, 01:33:28 PM
Today is teach myself how to make double flare brakeline day.

How come you're not using copper-nickel brake line? It won't ever rust!
Find something to do that interests you.

Jeff

Today's project. Sprucing up the interior firewall. I've included a couple of not so good before photos of the interior firewall. Also the picture of the materials used 70 years ago to insulate and finish. Looks like cardboard and something akin to a heavy roofing felt.
I replaced it with a material I had on hand. The foil and plastic insulation I used to insulate the garage door. I had a large hunk left over, so othr than the engine paint I used on it, it was free.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Darrel

Hey, that don't look too bad. In fact, it's lookin pretty DanG good!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

grouch

Are those the original pedals? They barely look stepped on.

You're cheating. It's supposed to take six months just to grind the rust out and another year to get the sheet metal looking like that.

Jeff

Hard to wear those steel peddles. No rubber, just steel other than the acceler9 peddle. That is rubber.

grouch

Most steel pedals I've seen have been worn slick by years of muddy boots sliding on them. A little grit, some water, rubber or leather soles for the sanding pad, lots of pressure and sliding the foot off the side -- unintended polishing and reshaping.

TKehl

Ditto here.  We had an old Allis Chalmers that came from the factory with texture on the pedals and indents in the gas, but the clutch and brakes were smooth and thinning when we had it.  Had to watch it as the throttle control was so worn that bounces from raking hay kept increasing the throttle and making it go faster.  Lot of hours on that tractor.  The original owners son asked about and and we traded it back for a heifer. 

I'm wondering if they didn't originally have a rubber cover much of their life that's now gone.  Factory, aftermarket, or improvised?  Buy it from someone short?  Maybe they had 2x4s wired to reach the pedals.   :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Jeff

Maybe it just didn't have a lot of use.

Darrel

X2 on that Jeff because they are obviously original.
1992 LT40HD

grouch

Quote from: Jeff on June 07, 2017, 07:38:15 AM
Maybe it just didn't have a lot of use.

That's what I was guessing.

Maybe you have acquired some gentleman's Sunday go-to-meetin' truck. I've ridden in both extremes, as I'm sure many have:  The ones where you climb over a pile of garbage to sit down, if you dare, and the ones where you'd best wipe your feet unless you're ready to fight.

From what you've done and said so far, I'm glad you're the one who got it. Respects the one who kept it in good shape all these years.

Jeff

It was a struggle, but it's coming. Spitting and splattering, burning holes, filling them in, grinding them out, whew. I guess it's all a learning experience. At least I can't screw anything up on the top of these fenders that someone that knows what they are doing can't fix. I'm cutting patches from the rusted out light can since its the perfect shape.

Woodhauler

I welded a couple patches on a rocker sill with my mig welder, Low and slow was the way!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

grouch

How to learn to weld: Buy lots of grinder discs.  ;D

I do ok with 3/16 or thicker. The first MIG welder I had was so frustrating it mostly collected dust until lightning killed it. It was good for burning holes in sheet metal, in my hands.

A real welder (or is that weldor?) told me to just stitch with dots until they flowed and flattened and eventually connect the dots. I had been trying to weld beads, as I would with stick, on typical modern car body panels. Doing dots eventually taught me to see to weld lines. I'm still not good at it, but I can weld more than burn now. (Still prefer stick and heavier steel).

21incher

If you are going to keep it old school looks like you will have to learn how to apply lead next. ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

My brother fixed up a '48 Ford truck. He tried lead. I forgot how it came out. I was working on a home and found a box of lead in the attic. I asked about it and the guy had no idea it was there. House been sold,2-3 times? He gave it to me when I told him what I wanted it for.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

welding??? push a mig drag a stick. mig is easy. when i learned over 40 yrs ago we didnt have such things. get a auto darking helmet. they are nice. use both hands one to steady the other. small dia wire 025. for gas i use argon with a bit of oxygen. old rusty steel will not weld good with a mig/ .rust dirty use splatter rod 6011. any wind will blow the shielding gas away. for anyone that is learning to weld with a  a c machine buy 7018 ac rod. it runs way better

grouch

Quote from: snowstorm on June 08, 2017, 07:19:38 AM
welding??? push a mig drag a stick. mig is easy. when i learned over 40 yrs ago we didnt have such things. get a auto darking helmet. they are nice. use both hands one to steady the other. small dia wire 025. for gas i use argon with a bit of oxygen. old rusty steel will not weld good with a mig/ .rust dirty use splatter rod 6011. any wind will blow the shielding gas away. for anyone that is learning to weld with a  a c machine buy 7018 ac rod. it runs way better

Amen on the helmet. That made a lot more difference for me than I ever would have guessed before using one.

I use 75% argon / 25% CO2. How do you get by using oxygen in your shielding gas?

A flap disc or flap wheel gets sheet metal clean without the aggravation of wire bristles everywhere.

snowstorm

It's only like 2%oxygen

Jeff

My latest accomplishment on the dodge was replacement of one of the rear engine mounts. Here is a pic of the old and new lower half of the mount and a picture of the installed mount no pic of old upper mount rubber, as it was gone!

And today, I found some pvc fake diamond plate at Menards. 4 by 8 sheet cheaper than 1/8 sheet of the 1/16" real stuff. So, we spent alittle time to see how it will look once installed as door panels.

Darrel

Awesome looking door panel!
1992 LT40HD

Magicman

I never knew about the fake diamond plate, and it looks good.  I have a need. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

How thick is the PVC diamond plate?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Ljohnsaw

And is the plastic silver or is it just the surface?  Wondering how its going to wear over time.  Maybe Kbeitz will find some in the junk yard for you and bring it up to the Pig Roast. ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

It's not very thick but it is tough stuff. We did a test on the sample on the wall at menards.  :)

Fasade® decorative 4' x 8' vinyl wall panels quickly and easily transform any room with their unique, architectural design. Theses panels are water-resistant and durable which make them perfect for high abuse areas in your home including the garage, bathroom or utility room.  With multiple finishes to choose from and styles ranging from industrial to modern to traditional, there is sure to be a Fasade® wall panel that meets all of your design needs.

• Style Name: Diamond Plate
  • Made from vinyl (PVC) material, these panels will not rust, corrode or stain and are hypoallergenic, resist mold, mildew and bacteria
  • The panels are light, flexible and easy to cut; eliminating the need for a contractor, only requiring  a tape measure, scissors and PL tube adhesive for a for a quick installation
  • These 4' x 8' x 0.028" thick panels cover 32 sq. ft. and can be used as a wall panel or for a seamless backsplash application
  • These panels are Class A rated and are heat resistant up to 140 degrees
  • Simple to clean with non-harsh cleaning products
  • A variety of trim pieces are available to complete your look
  • Use these vinyl panels with laminated finishes to create the look of classic tin panels without paying the price of real metal
  • White and paintable panels are also available
  • ACP has been an industry leader for 20 years and prides itself on its products
Dimensions: 48" x 96" x 0.030"
Brand Name: Fasade by ACP

Thank You Sponsors!