iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking Delivery

Started by Jeff, March 23, 2017, 07:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKehl

At the price for the given use, who cares if it wears over time!  A coat of paint and good as new!

I'd be tempted to try some black or pewter semigloss crackle paint for a subdued eye catcher.

I'll have to take a look at this stuff for my Explorer project (if I don't sell it first).
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Jeff

Window frame test!  I still have the inner upper cowl to weld in and the patch where the roof welds to it yet before it can actually go in.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Having alot of fun with that truck,ain't ya.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grouch

Well, I guess I'm the left threaded nut in the coffee can, but to me, that kind of door panel on that truck is awful. It looks like something I'd put in my old junker, except with the slick side out to make it easier to wipe grease and -stuff- off of.

The Forestry Forum logo on one side of the door and plastic fake aluminum diamond plate on the other? I wouldn't want glitter and bling when you open the door, I'd want smooth and tough. That space begs for a white oak or eastern red cedar panel. I'd be willing to bet there are any number of people on here who'd be happy to make those panels from a paper or cardboard template, just for the bragging rights. Once *you* put that logo on there, it becomes THE Forestry Forum Truck, whether or not you christen it thus.
Find something to do that interests you.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: grouch on June 21, 2017, 05:25:42 AM
Well, I guess I'm the left threaded nut in the coffee can, but to me, that kind of door panel on that truck is awful. It looks like something I'd put in my old junker, except with the slick side out to make it easier to wipe grease and -stuff- off of.

The Forestry Forum logo on one side of the door and plastic fake aluminum diamond plate on the other? I wouldn't want glitter and bling when you open the door, I'd want smooth and tough. That space begs for a white oak or eastern red cedar panel. I'd be willing to bet there are any number of people on here who'd be happy to make those panels from a paper or cardboard template, just for the bragging rights. Once *you* put that logo on there, it becomes THE Forestry Forum Truck, whether or not you christen it thus.

I'm with you on fake stuff. I stay away from fakes.  :D :D
But , the truck looks nice with the work on it so far.

I would put a door panel to match the seat.   
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

First of all, you can't tell it is fake, even when you touch it, second of all you must hate vinyl as it is fake leather third of all I think your mother dresses you funny. :D

The original material was paper on tar paper that looked like leather.

Jeff

I do have a tentative plan that will be conducive to this being the Forestry Forum truck.
I've been planning on taking the Forestry Forum pigroast table out of commission for awhile. It's so big and heavy and it's getting so weathered, and I'm tired of moving it. So, I'm considering using that to make a one piece of redwood bed for it, redwood running boards and a front bumper that has "millrat" routed into it.  I picture a bumper with oval ends, I'll cut it in the middle, slightly angle the cuts, then reattach, sand the center so it has a curved look to it.

paul case

I like the door panels.
I like the bed idea.
I know my opinion dont count for much.
I always heard ''you are ugly and yore mama dresses you funny''.
Perfectionist attitude just wont work for the kind of project you are doing Jeff. I have a sawmill with a FF sticker on it and I don't have to ask before I do something to it, neither do you.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Peter Drouin

Ken ya keep my mom out of it, Thanks, I don't like vinyl.
A cloth seat cover with matching doors. And a nice roof liner.
Just thinking an old truck with a little class is all.

Paul, perfectionist attitude is what makes a person a Professional.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

With any "rebuild from virtual junk" a realistic decision has to be made regarding whether it will be an "original" restoration or "practical modifications allowed" restoration.  In this instance I believe that the decision was dictated by the truck's condition which meant keeping as much original as possible/practicable and then suiting your own fancy as the opportunity presented itself.

I see this as a street rod, hot rod, rat rod, millrat rod which has no limits other than Jeff's artistic imagination.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Yes Magicman I'm 100% with you on that. Even with real steel on the doors it looks too new for the truck.
Maybe if the boss puts some on the end of the bed to mount the tail lights too. Maybe diamond plate running boards. 
Would make it all work.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

TKehl

As much as I like the diamond plate (I really do, not being sarcastic), my mind wanders.  With all the artistic pictures of the truck and youngsters on this thread, the inside door panels are one protected area that intricate wood design could be used without worry about exposure to the elements etc.

I'm thinking a CNC cut or laser engraved image of some sort overlayed on a thin sheet of contrasting material. 

If you want to try out the CNC thing, I'd do it on the house.  May not be able to do it in one panel though, depends on size. 

Would like to offer laser too, but it was acting up last time used and I haven't got back to troubleshooting yet.  It's basically antique as far as electronics go. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Jeff

The door panels can only be a maximum of 1/8" thick or the door must be heavily modified to accommodate the handles and other hardware. That is also the area that takes the most abuse in a cab other than the floor.  veneer or something like that would have to b fake to hold up. Did I say fake?  ;) :)

Jeff

I got my replacement light buckets sanded and ready for paint. Tammy was thrilled and thought they were going on like this. Let me be the first to say, no, they are not. :D I've got a cool idea if I can accomplish it.

21incher

If you use the plastic in the door panels be sure to leave a lot of room for expansion and contraction and use oversized holes for mounting. That stuff moves a lot with temperature change. Looking great thanks for sharing this trip.   move_it
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

TKehl

MUST STARE...

AT LAVA LAMP...   ;D

Farmerjw

Jeff, did you ever get the magazine?? ???
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Jeff

I did!  Sorry I forgot to say something. Thank You!  That's a great magazine if you like old trucks.

Jeff

Yesterday and today was spent rebuilding the cab windshield opening.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Nice job, Old truck is coming along well, 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Jeff

Primer then red, to be followed after hard by black, then wet sanded to bring out just a touch of red, so it looks like the rest if the truck again.

Roxie

Glad you put the headlight holders on.  When you posted the picture of them all shined up, I couldn't remember where they were originally. 
Say when

coxy

do you think you will have it done in time for the pig roast :)  thinking 25$ a ride and 50$ a ride for farm animals  :-X :D

Jeff

Nah, no way by then. Pretty soon I'm going to have to set it aside to concentrate on the pigroast chores.

Thank You Sponsors!