iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baker 5 head

Started by Nav24, April 07, 2018, 04:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nav24

I recently purchased an old baker resaw 5 head. It seems to have been modified somewhere along the lines with hydraulic tensioner for the blades. We have replaced a lot of wear parts and re-crowned the wheels. It seems to run well enough but we just break it too many blades on it. The blade tracking and guides are set up well. What could be happening.

We are running softwoods under 6" in width. Anyone else have a similar setup? How much life are you getting from lennox blades? 

paul case

I dont know the answer to your problem but welcome to the forum. Good to have you here.
Pull up a stump and tell us about your operation and location. 

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ETSawyer

We run 2in Lennox bands on a resaw. Are bands breaking on the weld?  I would Check tension on bands with a tension meter to make sure their not too tight especially if tension system was revamped. Do bands run/dive or leave burn marks before they break? 

tmbrcruiser

Welcome to the forum and the Baker family. I have a baker mill and ran into trouble breaking bands. So to start what type of guides are you using, roller, bullet or flat? 
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

B@kerLuke

Nav24, I'm glad to hear you bought a Baker!  Sorry to hear the trouble with the blades.  We have a very knowledgeable parts and service department here at Baker Products that would be glad to help you troubleshoot what may be going on with your resaw.  You can call them at 1-800-548-6914, anytime between 8am and 5pm. I'm sure that our guys can get you lined out and running smooth.

ladylake

Quote from: Nav24 on April 07, 2018, 04:50:52 PM
I recently purchased an old baker resaw 5 head. It seems to have been modified somewhere along the lines with hydraulic tensioner for the blades. We have replaced a lot of wear parts and re-crowned the wheels. It seems to run well enough but we just break it too many blades on it. The blade tracking and guides are set up well. What could be happening.

We are running softwoods under 6" in width. Anyone else have a similar setup? How much life are you getting from lennox blades?

How far behind the blade are the back supports or rollers, if too close you will break bands fast.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Nav24

Hi to all. we are near vancouver, BC. we have used a band tension gauge and all is set well. I think the problem may be that our guide wheels are too close behind the blade. I was told the they should sit about 1/16" to 1/8" behind the blade.

We will set them back a bit further and see if it helps.

and yes the bands are almost always breaking on the weld. could this be a shop with bad welding? the blades are coming from one supplier.

Nav24

Quote from: tmbrcruiser on April 09, 2018, 09:02:55 AM
Welcome to the forum and the Baker family. I have a baker mill and ran into trouble breaking bands. So to start what type of guides are you using, roller, bullet or flat?
We are using all flat sandwhich guides from baker, on one head we have installed a ram jet guide with air nozzle to shoot out the dust.

JB Griffin

I'm gonna assume that you're getting blades from a weld 'em up shop and they aren't doing a good job welding the blades, been there done that with a shop in Missouri, we don't buy blades from them any more.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Nav24

Quote from: JB Griffin on April 21, 2018, 10:29:16 AM
I'm gonna assume that you're getting blades from a weld 'em up shop and they aren't doing a good job welding the blades, been there done that with a shop in Missouri, we don't buy blades from them any more.
Hi JB, and of course if their welds aren't holding up it will only lead to more sales. I will try to find a different supplier.
thanks,
-Nav

4x4American

I run the sandwich guides on my Baker A model and I keep the backstop-roller-mabobbers about 1/16" off the back of the blade, pretty sure the spec is 1/32" but different blades track differently so I keep it at 1/16" for wiggle room.  I don't have much issues with blades breaking but when they do break I look to see where they broke and if they broke on the weld 10/9 it was the weld's fault not the resaw's.
Boy, back in my day..

B@kerLuke

Nav24, Baker Products also welds our own blades as a distributor for Lenox and Kasco.  We keep quite a bit in stock and have great prices.  We sell them in quantities of 5 with discounts for buying 50+ and 100+ at a time.  You can call and speak with our Parts and Service department at 1-800-548-6914 to find out more.  Many times, we have been able to save our customers money when they switch to buying direct from us.

Nav24

Hi everyone, I have been continuing trial and error for the last couple of weeks and have had no real success. I ended up ordering a new set of blades which worked well. But upon ordering the second batch I fell back into the same problem.

Turns out the original shipment of blades was slightly longer due to saw tooth configuration being different. When my hydraulic cylinders tried to tension the blades the cylinder hit a limit switch to stop them from over extending and causing damage to tensioning setup, this never allowed the blades to reach the full desired tension we had originally set. I didn't realize that the lack of tension was actually helping. Before ordering the second set I asked the supplier to reduce the length by a single tooth so we could get full desired tension.

Once that second batch arrived we starting snapping blades like crazy again. Now I have realized that we had possibly been over tensioning our blades based on bad advice, we had been suggested for tension (55,000 lb). Blade manufacturer and baker suggest 30,000 Lb. Being our first band resaw at our place we didnt question the suggested pressure of 55,000. hindsight is 20/20.

We are now going to go back and reset all the hydraulic cylinders to tension about 30,000 lb on the blades. .042" x 1 1/4"

I'm pretty confident this will fix our problem, but then again every time in the past we made an adjustment we thought it would fix our problem of breaking blades. thanks everyone for your help so far.

Thank You Sponsors!