iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cordless drill for building tin

Started by Larry, November 20, 2020, 09:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacotodd

Southside, yes!  That alone, does great things for ANY grease gun.
Trying harder everyday.

farmfromkansas

I finished a  tin shed a few weeks ago.  Used my old 18 volt dewalt drill and a 18 volt impact. Kept one battery on the charger, drilled the holes with the drill and drove all the screws with the impact. It is a loafing shed for cattle, 12' x 20', with a 3' overhang on the south side, which allows a few more cattle to get out of the rain.  Left a vent on the low side about 8", and let the roof overhang the vent by about a foot. It is about venting out the stale air when cattle crowd into a shed in cold weather.  Sometimes a calf can smother in that putrid air.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

maple flats

I've got friends who have the Milwaukee M18 or the M12. They all like them. The only tool I have of Milwaukee's is my old Sawzall, corded.
Early in my maple tapping days I chose DeWalt, in 18V. I likely have 5-6 tools in that. Then I started getting the 20V, mostly because the batteries can be put on charge from any state of charge, the NiCad batteries need to be run to dead before recharging or their capacity is reduced. Because I at one time had 5 helpers plus myself tapping I own 6 drills and more than 12 batteries. I used to think the 4, 5 and 6AH batteries were best, but then I started using 2 and 3 AH , they are enough lighter to make the tool easier to handle all day. I now own 4 impact drivers (1/4") and a 1/2" impact for removing the lugs on my motor home, if needed. I also have an oscillating saw, a circular saw, a polisher, and a miter saw, all cordless DeWalt. I now buy tool only deals because I have enough batteries, plus, my tapping maples is down so that it is usually just 2 tapping, maybe 4 on an occasional Saturday when my oldest son and his girlfriend come to help. I also recently bought 2 adapters so I can use the 20V batteries to power the 18V tools. I also have a 4 port fast charger, when needed I charge 4 at a time of the 20V.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

BradMarks

I used a 20V DeWalt with the 5A batteries for metal roofing.  Tools came with 2A but the run time was too short before charging. I can find a 2 pack of 5A for around $100 during "tool sale".  I found that pre drilling was a lot easier than driving straight into the galvy, even using the prescribed washered factory screws. Up on the roof you end up in some odd positions for driving, and it will flat wear out your arms. With a small pilot hole, it was a cinch 

btulloh

When those adapters first came out they were limited to the smaller Ah batteries.  Is that still true?  Nice way to upgrade to Lithium batteries when the tools still work fine.  

I don't want to buy any more NiCads, but most of my Dewalt 18V tools are still fine - even though I've had most of them for nearly 20 years of hard duty.  
HM126

Mike W

Just finished (well just about anyway) this 60 x 64 last month with a Makita 18v impact, they are less then 3 lbs and comes in a kit for under $200.00 (always a sale somewhere going on), charger, two batteries, 1/2" drill and 1/4" impact, batteries charge faster then the impact can kill them.  We also stack and gang drill or punch all our metal before hanging, just easier, cleaner and a whole lot faster.  We are typically really hard on our tools, so at the price of these with the overall performance of them, it works for us pretty well.  We have several other Dewalt, Milwaukee, Porta Cable, Rigid, etc. etc. tools so its not a Ford or Chevy kind of stuck on brand deal, just what fits the niche for us. 

Thank You Sponsors!