iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by woodyone.john, March 23, 2012, 07:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodyone.john

my 066 [sthil] takes about 20 =30 pulls to start if it has sat idle for a day or two. once started it goes really well and start first pull on idle start. what might be the problem. i am not a mechanic. cheers all john ;D
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

beenthere

Before I'd pull on it that many times, I'd at least remove the spark plug first, put in a bit of fuel mixture, and then put the plug back. I'd expect it to start on just a few pulls then.

But for sure, I hope you find what needs to be done. This is a good place to learn how. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

i'm guessing you have a carburetor problem if it will start after it's warmed up.

What is your starting procedure?  Do you use the choke?

pulling an 066 thirty times is a good workout! 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

woodyone.john

my right arm is 2x the size of my left :(

woodyone.john

yes starting on full choke and full tank.i guess its carby cause it delivers full power when running but i dont understand the intricasies on 2 stoke carburetion.

woodyone.john

once it coughs once it starts next pull.

Dan_Shade

do you shut the choke off as soon as it "coughs"?

my stihl saws will flood if I pull too many times with the choke on.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

woodyone.john

yes cough on choke slip to half choke or cool start ,then one pull and away.

HolmenTree

Pull off the air filter and black shroud and see if the choke butterfly plate in the carb's venturi is fully closed when on . You may have some build up of sawdust in the linkage or the linkage is bent.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

lumberjack48

Saw should start in 3 pulls cold, if i pulled 5 times, I'd stop something is wrong.
Because it runs so good after it does start, it sure sounds like a choke issue like Holmen Tree said.
My saws road in a saw rack at -20 to-30 many days. Even at this extreme cold saws start in 3 pulls.

I had a saw that gave me starting problem, i think it was a Homelite. I tried everything to fix it, it still wanted x pulls to start. So i out smarted it, every morning I'd pop the air cleaner off an give it a shot of gas. It started in one pull and preformed all day with out a problem.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

2stroker

Two things come to mind, 1. the plastic master control switch shaft can wear causing the choke not to close completely.  2. the throttle trigger can wear causing a no high idle when starting, so it starves for fuel on start-up. I've repaired 10 or 12 066/660's in the couple of years and atleast 3 saws acted that way on start-up.
I replaced the master control switch and the throttle trigger and the problem went away.
Regards,
2stroker

smh

other possibilities: I wonder if the fuel is somehow siphoning back to tank? Even if fuel does drain back in the fuel line, the carb itself should remain full. It would take quite a few pulls to reprime both line and carb?
Another thing I was thinking about is the way many (most?) carbs use crankcase pressure pulses and atmospheric pressure as a way to effect a pumping action. This pumping is what draws fuel into the carb. Check to make sure the carb vent holes aren't blocked.
husky 61   -   old school mods
husky 272 -   heavy metal mods
husky 4 parts-uh oh oops
stihl 180c  -   what will it be when it grows up?

T Welsh

Impluse line cracked and or time for a rebuild kit for the carb. the pump diaphragm material gets old and and does not move as new thus it will pump very little gas up through the carb. once it gets it,it will hold it in the carb and will start like it should. any time you do a carb kit,it is a good time to change the filters and spark plug and start fresh. Tim

woodyone.john

thanks holman    Pull off the air filter and black shroud and see if the choke butterfly plate in the carb's venturi is fully closed when on . You may have some build up of sawdust in the linkage or the linkage is bent. the choke butterfly closed to within a fingernail thickness of closed. away and laughing. many thanks
the problem had started after i had pulled it all to bits the get the on off switch functional . little bit of black plastic that captures the stop start assembly took a little feild trip inside the area its supposed be in. i guess i must have bent the choke link when i reassembled it

AdkStihl

Quote from: T Welsh on March 24, 2012, 10:43:09 PM
Impluse line cracked and or time for a rebuild kit for the carb. the pump diaphragm material gets old and and does not move as new thus it will pump very little gas up through the carb. once it gets it,it will hold it in the carb and will start like it should. any time you do a carb kit,it is a good time to change the filters and spark plug and start fresh. Tim

;)   
J.Miller Photography

Thank You Sponsors!