iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well, that was interesting

Started by Texas Ranger, March 13, 2012, 09:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

For the benefit of those who did not see the FB posts. I had a little problem, ended up in Houston Methodist for a couple of days while they tried to figure out what I did, or didn't do, to my neck. Extreme pain, and final diagnoses "Clinically speaking, we have a dilemma", which when translated from doctor talk is, "We don't know".

Heavy duty antibiotics and morphine. Good stuff, till it wears off, I finally checked myself out of the hospital, I know a good vet here in Livingston.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

There seems to be a lot of that we don't know stuff going around. I have a case or two of that myself right now.  You should have not been dreaming about chopping with a new axe. I bet that's what did you in.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doctorb

Gotta axe.....why antibiotics for neck pain?  Did they have an indication that an infection was causing this?

My father was also a doc.  He told me that to be really good, you had to learn to say,"I don't know.". Very good advice for some of my colleagues.  It's OK not to know.  Then you can start looking for the answer.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Piston

I didn't see the posts (Yet) TR that your talking about, but I hope everything is okay. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Clam77

Hope it's not an elusive case of meningitis... like DocB said- why would they give ya antibiotics other than to pull a Dr House move and guess and hope it works...   :-\
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

MHineman

I'm OK with "I don't know" from a doc.  My problem is when they are certain it is one thing and refuse to listen to the patient with conflicting information. 
  A few years back I had lower abdominal pain I thought was a Kidney stone at first.  The family doc and surgeon both insisted it was my gall bladder.  My wife and I both said the problem was lower.  They didn't want to hear it.
  Pain on Sunday, trip to doc, ultrasound, trip to surgeon, surgery on Friday to remove gall bladder.
  "Holly CRAP!!!!" This guy walked in here????
  According to the surgeon my appendix burst 5 to 10 days earlier.  My wife should have already been finished with my funeral by Friday.
  I should have gotten another opinion when we disagreed with them.  Lucky for me the first doc expecting surgery later in the week started me on strong antibiotics on Monday.  A good chance a big reason I'm still here.
  Antibiotics are cheap and unless you have alergies, little to no downside when they don't know what the problem is and it could be serious.

1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Jeff

Quote from: doctorb on March 13, 2012, 10:18:00 PM
Gotta axe.....why antibiotics for neck pain?  Did they have an indication that an infection was causing this?

My father was also a doc.  He told me that to be really good, you had to learn to say,"I don't know.". Very good advice for some of my colleagues.  It's OK not to know.  Then you can start looking for the answer.

That's a DanG good way to look at things. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Doc, these guys looked at everything, found no puss, no abscess, were looking towards a staff infection, and found none.

They went through a litany of tests and questions, gave enough blood to float a boat.  I had stuff stuck up my nose that looked like they came from Area 51.  Had 9 guys and gals with various letters and titles looking at me from inside out.  CT was the only evidence anything was wrong, that and white cell count.  They seemed to see "thickening of the muscles on the left side of my neck, no trachea involvement.

Every one said one way or another, "this is interesting".

I can just see an intern making a career out of my misfortune to be sick.

CHARLIE

When I was little and had some pains, I was told it was either growing pains or it was the meaness coming out of me.  :)

It's a good thing I didn't decide to be a doctor 'cause I'll self diagnose my problem and put off seeing the doctor. When I finally give in and go to the doctor, my diagnosis is always about 180° off. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Woodwalker

Go over and see Dr. Bud. Best Vet. on that side of the river.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

doctorb

If your CT showed muscle swelling, enlargement, but no abscess, and your WBC's were elevated, you probably had a fever and it hurt to move your inflamed, swollen neck, then you had a bacterial myositis (Muscle infection).  Not common, but I have seen a few cases.  They get beter with antibiotics and rest.  No one knows why this occurs and why it chose this area of muscle to make camp.  Good thing that there was no abscess, as that would require surgery.  You need to be followed to make sure that this myosistis, or an abscess, doesn't develop in the future after your antibiotics are finnished.  Keep me posted. Did you have an MRI?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Texas Ranger

DocB, yes all that, and was told to let my PCP know of the goings on.  Thankfully, he is available by phone and email, so he is up to date.

The head of the department came through my last day with a loose leaf notebook with my name on it. I had the feeling I had brought something to them they had not seen before.  They kept asking about trauma, none. and no fever until today, four days into treatment.

I make light of this, my  nature, but I have never had such pain, and in the neck where it could move any direction, I was going to get treatment, which is when my wife figured out I was serious.

doctorb

There is a condition which is an infection of the skin called cellulitis.  It is diffuse throughout a significant area sometimes, is very swollen, with cherry red inflammation, hurts like heck and makes you sick.  When that same disseminated infection occupies a muscle, it's called myositis.  That's what you had.  No fun I am sure.  The docs are trying to figure out why you had it, other than being your usual abnormal self. ;D ;D2  Still on antibiotics??

Warbird

Just saw your FB posts and this thread, TR.  Doesn't sound like fun.  Glad you are getting it looked at.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Texas Ranger on March 14, 2012, 12:47:46 AM
I can just see an intern making a career out of my misfortune to be sick.

It's always fun when the doc says, "Do you mind if I bring in some interns to look at this? They won't get too many opportunies to see it." Had that happen after I found a particularly creative way to break a bone :-\
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

submarinesailor

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on March 14, 2012, 12:41:49 PM
" Had that happen after I found a particularly creative way to break a bone :-\

Sounds like there is a good story there Dodgy.............Give it up..... :D :D :D

Bruce

Texas Ranger

DocB, yes 10 days worth of some antibiotic I have never heard of, but tastes terrible about 30 minutes after I take it.  Doing better, still "feel" my neck, but no pain.

Holmes

Monday at the job I was on the owner said he was going thru cellulitis in his upper left leg. He has a port in his left arm to get antibiotic  iv every other day. He said the cellulitis was extremely painful.
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!