iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Osage Blade Dives

Started by campy, April 30, 2010, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

campy

Yesterday I was cutting a really hard to come by and nice Osage Orange log.
I had a new Cookssaw Supersharp blade on.
Seen here. http://www.cookssaw.com/bandsaw/bandsaw-blades.php

The blade dove.
So I put another new Supersharp blade on and the same thing happened.

When I picked up the board I noticed that sawdust was glued to both sides of the cut.
So I deduced that it was a sawdust ejection problem.
Next I ran the garden hose full blast on the blade the entire time.
It cut fine for about 5 cuts and then it dove on the 2nd to last cut.
I trashed the rest of my prized log.

Using the same blade I cut two 25" Pin Oak logs and it cut fine but a little slow.

Do I need a special blade for Osage Orange types of wood?
Perhaps more teeth, less teeth or certain hook angle?
I have another even nicer Osage log I want to cut up but I don't want these problems.

The Supersharp blade is about $18 and I would like to keep blades in that price range if possible.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Ironwood

no idea personally, but want to see reponses. I milled a few smaller pieces of Osage w/ no problem. I want to get a few more bigguns.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

pineywoods

My experience with osage is you need lots of water, lots of set, and soap in the water. Usually junk builds up more on the top of the blade than the bottom. Makes the blade thicker on the topside. this effectively reduces the amount of set on the top, causing  the blade to dive. Keep the blade clean.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!