iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A DIY mistake

Started by petefrom bearswamp, January 01, 2019, 11:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

The starter rope broke on Friday on my Echo cs600p.
Son and I shortened it up to get us thru the morning which is about all we work in the winter.
I decided to replace it myself yesterday AM and got a birds nest of recoil spring for my trouble.
Guess I will be off to the local saw guy tomorrow as my manual dexterity is shot at my age.
But then maybe I can find a youtube vid on doing it.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Old Greenhorn

Sorry for your trouble, almost everyone does that once. This is one of those simple maintenance skills they teach in the GOL level 2 class on saw care. I had thought I was pretty good at it until I saw some new tricks that make it SO much easier and faster. Now it takes me about 5 minutes to do the complete swap. Better luck next time.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

petefrom bearswamp

My main problem is lack of manual dexterity.
The saw shop charged me 1500 pennies as he put it so was a cheap fix.
Years ago I could have done it but not now.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

jb616

The trick is not to touch the spring at all with a broken pull rope. Just turn the recoil in the opposite direction until the remainder is all the way out, hold the recoil in position until you remove the old rope and insert the new, tie a knot and slowly let it take up the new rope. If it spun farther than it should have when the rope broke, you can keep turning the recoil in the opposite direction until you can't turn it anymore, line up the hole, insert the new rope, tie the knot, and then let it take up the new rope. The only time I touch the spring is when the spring is broke.

Al_Smith

Be thankful it's not an old right hand start 10 series McCulloch  .Those things will make a preacher cuss .

Air Lad

There is a youtube instructional using a piece of plywood/a nail and two cable ties
It worked for me
Good luck with it

Thank You Sponsors!