The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: White Pine Board and Batten FAIL  (Read 3387 times)

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
Re: White Pine Board and Batten FAIL
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2020, 08:22:47 PM »
I think my bee traps have helped.  I need to finish some siding and then coat with some stain.

Offline David M

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 03:49:25 PM »
Rumor has it they will avoid eastern hemlock. Not sure if that applies to young growth as well as old growth with the higher acid content..

Offline PA_Walnut

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2020, 07:52:37 AM »
I just built my entire DH kiln structure out of EWP and a little spruce. I'll have to keep an eye out for them. 

I understand that they don't like low vibrations as it interferes with their communications system. Hopefully the fans are the right harmonic for this. Also understand that they really dislike citrus oil. May have to mix up some orange oil and spray it well.

Will see soon, I suppose.

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Offline michaelyares

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2021, 01:27:28 PM »
We had the bees in our porch here in Western North Carolina. We heard that hornets nests are a deterrent. Read up and my wife made two ''nests'' out of onion bags and dryer lint and we hung them on the porch. We had no bee or paper wasp activity in the vicinity last year.... Time will tell if they get on to us or not as spring is in the air.

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 12:01:55 AM »
I read somewhere's, maybe even here's that used motor oil or even motor oil will keep them away. Supposedly, allegedly we have them here, but so far they have stayed away from our dark walnut ready stain with motor oil in it. 

I have also read that putting termidor in your stain also works for many other bugs also

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2021, 07:16:16 AM »
Nothing eats motor oiled wood.  If a stack of wood is gonna touch the ground, the first piece being soaked in oil will quadruple its lifespan as long as there is good runoff and airflow.  

We have the bees pretty bad and its not just carpenters.  Many many times i see bumblebees coming out of the hole.  Which help my garden and i really hate to kill.   Theyll go after a store bought 2x severely despite being attached to a sea of roughcut oak. 

Hit the holes at night with a shot of ether or carb cleaner thru the straw. Just watch your eyes.

Psalm 37:16

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2021, 09:19:38 AM »
I think my bee traps have helped.  I need to finish some siding and then coat with some stain.
I still have bee traps all over our log house. This recent warm weather we haven't seen any wood bee activity and they are usually out some now on sunny days. Last summer I hired an Amish roofer to do a steel standing seam roof and also wrap the gable rafters in steel made by the roofing company mfg. I tired of sprays. doweling holes, ugly yellow bee poop, several brands of woodpeckers and holes in my house. Maybe not gone but heavily restricted now.
EWP is a VG outside wood if properly situated and maintained.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2021, 09:21:46 AM »
Rumor has it they will avoid eastern hemlock. Not sure if that applies to young growth as well as old growth with the higher acid content..
Their native tree species are said to be cedar and poplar. I serious doubt that hemlock deters them? They drill into PT wood, why not hemlock. Paint or solid stains slow them down some. Steel is best.

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2021, 09:23:20 AM »
We had the bees in our porch here in Western North Carolina. We heard that hornets nests are a deterrent. Read up and my wife made two ''nests'' out of onion bags and dryer lint and we hung them on the porch. We had no bee or paper wasp activity in the vicinity last year.... Time will tell if they get on to us or not as spring is in the air.
A stack of EWP beams under roof gets attacked by wood bees and the hornets obviously fight them each summer-maybe they eat the bees larvae?

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2021, 07:36:22 PM »
Where there is a mix of hemlock and EWP on a barn they do seem to much prefer the pine.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline Trackerbuddy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2021, 09:52:52 PM »
This from DIY pest control dot com
You can prevent Carpenter Bees from drilling those holes in the exterior of your homes if you spray a residual insecticide on the exterior surfaces before they start nesting activity.
We suggest FenvaStar EcoCap, LamdbaStar UltraCap 9.7 CS, or Cyper WSP Insecticides. Spray on the areas that are vulnerable to Carpenter Bee holes. Usually these vulnerable areas are unpainted or unvarnished woods. Popular drilling choices for carpenter bees include under siding, under deck rails, under eaves, window frames, etc.

With an active infestation, we suggest the Carpenter Bee Kits that contain a residual insecticide to mix with water and spray. It also includes insecticide dust and duster to dust into the carpenter bee galleries.
Some of the kits include a special duster (B&G 1150 R Duster)  with a curved tip in order to get the D-Fense or Tempo insecticide dusts to the galleries.

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2021, 08:21:24 AM »
Insecticide works - for that year only.  It washes off, or becomes inert over time and they come back.  So my choices were to have the pest control guy treat the building every single year until I'm dead, or change the siding and bee done with it.   I chose the latter- to Hardie Board siding.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline Jstier

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2021, 09:27:48 AM »
Some of you may have seen my responses in the past regarding carpenter bees and softwoods.....well now it's worse.

Back in 2016, built a large timberframe and sided it with 12" white pine board and batten.  Looked great.  I did seek advice about using White Pine as siding here on the forum and from a few other timberframers.  The concern was really about rot, but no one ever mentioned carpenter bees.  The following spring carpenter bees bored 1/2" holes under the eaves, and in some of the trim around the ovehead doors.  They were so prolific that we decided we had two choices, have to pay to spray every spring in perpetuity, or remove all the siding and trim and re-side in hardie board.  We weren't going to do it for a few years though.  This week I took a walk around the building and found more damage this time from a woodpecker or several, apparently pecking to find carpenter bee larvae that had escaped our previous efforts.  This is what they did in a very short time.  The moral of the story is that you should not use softwood for  exterior use, unless you live far enough north that carpenter bees are not an issue.  Where I'm from in IL, there are no carpenter bees.  This building was built in Indianapolis, just 3 hours south, but in the range of carpenter bees.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

The carpenter bees must have bored holes for the eggs under the lip of the window sill trim as there was no visible holes on the outside or top.  The wood pecker tested the wood and can hear the hollowness of the bee larvae tunnel in the wood.  They then set about pecking their way to the grub.  I doubt the bees would attack hardwood, and they definitely won't be able to damage Hardie board.  Costly mistake.  
I live in Southeast Indiana and own a log home. We battle those little guys every year. We spray, plug holes, dust holes and if you miss one the wood peckers will let you know. Thankfully they only touch our eaves and trim. One of the many reasons its nice owning my mill.   

I built a Sawmill shed out of Ash B&B and they haven't touched it either. Guess they should of built my cabin out of ASH haha

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
white pine for board and batten siding

Started by farmer mark on Timber Framing/Log construction

14 Replies
Last post April 03, 2014, 10:38:55 AM
by Doug_D
xx
White poplar for board & batten

Started by frazman on Drying and Processing

9 Replies
Last post April 10, 2020, 08:52:25 PM
by GeneWengert-WoodDoc