The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Planning to build an ATV Log Hauler  (Read 32786 times)

Offline Buzz-sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • To see it is to saw it....
    • Share Post
Re: Planning to build an ATV Log Hauler
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2005, 07:57:15 PM »
Joan
I have a suggestion for your trailer that will work for what you want, I thunk.
It is pretty simple to use old discarded snow mobile track to go around tandem wheel sets, just remove the inner tabs off the track , leaving the outers to ride outside the wheels, thus aiding in keeping it on. I have some pick off different homemade track vehicles as well. :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2005, 09:26:15 PM »
Good idea, Buzz ;D Thanks ... I'll definately look into that. Need to do it to my 10,000 pound dump trailer, also. Guess I can cut it down width-wise , too ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2005, 10:16:22 PM »
Coon,

northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company sells a hydralic (sic) brake assembly for trailer fabricating. It energizes the brakes via a surge system on the tongue. No electric necesssary, I would use something like this for your tricked out trailer/ arch or whatever. If you don't need it it won't be activated but if you do then it's there for the piece of mind. It sells for around $500 or less and is fairly inclusive as to the parts, i would make sure to run the brake lines in a sheltered area of the frame or in the tubing or something. Don't want them ripped off when you need them most :o :o

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline Octoman

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2005, 02:22:17 AM »
Coon, its great idea to build your own atv log trailer as you can personalise the design and do it for half the price of the real thing (Novajack, etc)! 8)
However, on the design front i've gotta warn you not to make it too heavy!!  An atv for all it advantages still only has a limited load capacity.  Therefore the fine balance you need to strike is strength versus weight.  It seems the more trailer you build the less log you can feasibly pull!  I would reckon Novajack did their research on this factor and have gone about as substantial as possible!
Here is my trailer which works fine.  Its never gonna haul 20' ers but does the job for me! :)

Sometimes, if i've had a good breakfast i don't bother with the winch!

A bit of grunt from Octoman and there you go! ;)

WM LT 15 - Fortune favours the Brave!

Offline brucehuggins

• Happy the man and happy he alone. He who can call today his own.
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2005, 06:44:30 PM »
This is my logging arch and my baby the aspiring forest engineer. 
The arch is what it is.  A snatch block, comealong, some chain, an axle with a trailer hitch.   Luckily I only have one slight upgrade which I must somtimes negotiate to get my logs home to my log yard.  I have brought in some 28" 8 footers that went 1700# or so.  For a really heavy log I will bring it throug the arch as far as I can, this takes a lot of the weight of of the ground.  As long as I keep the angles of the cable forward and rear of the snatch block the same all of my pulling force is directed downward and the timber arch is not stressed at all. 

[img width=400 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/y28/oldsawmillguy/arch2.jpg[/img]
Oldsawmillguy

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2005, 09:31:27 PM »
bruce
That lil 'ol gator really pullin that big log?  I have one, and it seems to be like a mountain goat in my steep woods, but never have tried pulling logs out like that. I'm impressed with it, but really impressed with your rig.  :)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Rockn H

• long way to go
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2005, 04:14:37 AM »
Octoman, that's a nice looking trailer.  How long is it and what is that growing in front of your 4-wheeler in the third pic? ???

Offline bitternut

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2005, 07:55:31 AM »
I built a log skidder for my atv that lifts the log when you drive away and drops it when you stop or slow down. I have steep terrain and the last thing I wanted was a log climbing on the back of the atv with me when going down hill. It is very easy to use and cheap to build. Very rugged. I also made a trailer deck for it that I use for hauling tree stands, etc. Here is a link to the plans and photos of how I constructed it. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=283872193103&page=1&sort_order=0

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2005, 11:55:48 PM »
Brucehuggins and Beenthere,

Since you both seem to be running a 4x4 Hpx Gator,  I have been doing some leg work to find better tire options for mine. I want 6 plies and less side wall to get punctured. I found 12"custom steel rims made to my 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern thru Gemplers, www.gemplers.com I talked to Randy at ext. 3559  they ordered them through their specialty supplier. Addtionally the NEW 12" rims I odered will open up a huge options of tires not availible in 10". The rims were $45.50 each. The tires I think I will order are Kenda "Bear Claws" only 1" taller so gearing will be effected little. Also they have Bead Guard protection so they can run at low PSI with less likelyhood of popping a bead. They also have a "hot patch on the sidewall" which i believe that means it is a beefier sidewall. Most if not all my driving is gravel or dirt so I like aggresive. Tires can be veiwed at their wholesalers site  www.mta-la.com  Hit the avt option and enjoy the options, a lot to chose from.

Just thought I would share the info. REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2005, 01:38:34 AM »
Reid
Thanks for the tire info.

I misled you into thinking I had the 4x4Hpx Gator. Mine is the 4x2, lightweight. And I didn't recognize that Bruce had the 4x4 Hpx.

Mine is more like something that Fla Deadheader might be looking for.  See Ya Later...!  ;D

south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Another build in the planning gathering stages

Started by lowpull on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2017, 06:54:37 AM
by bandmiller2
xx
Planning stage of new bandmill build

Started by rrleesb on Sawmills and Milling

39 Replies
Last post January 16, 2018, 07:33:53 AM
by Crusarius