iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aspen

Started by MBarbieri, September 25, 2020, 09:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MBarbieri

So I am clearing a section of my property to put up a barn next summer. Alot of the trees are large aspens that i would like to mill and use to build sheds and what not with. does anyone have experience using aspen as dimensional lumber? most likely would be using green or air dried for a few months? thanks! :P

Don P

I can't help you with experience with it but it does appear in the span tables and calcs here;
https://awc.org/codes-standards/calculators-software/spancalc

Jeff

Do it. Plenty of barns sheds and even log homes built with aspen herebouts.  Just keep it protected from rain and weather. I think @Corley5 's home is all framed with bigtooth.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

Built almost entirely of big tooth.  Cut the trees on day one.  Saw them on day two and nail them up on the third.  Good lumber.  Use it green and nail it with ardox or ring shank nails.  It can't warp and twist if it's nailed good :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

flyingparks

My experience is that aspen shrinks tremendously. Not to say you cant use it. I would recommend letting it dry for a while. I'm in a very dry climate. 

TmbrWlkr

OP - I am in Naples at the south end of Canandaigua Lake.  In a similar situation to you with a bunch of aspen on my land (see recent post in Sawmilling).  Let's stay in touch I will most likely be sawing some later this year. Curious about drying and such.

Thank You Sponsors!