iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best place to get a mill quick

Started by jay_d, January 02, 2021, 09:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

If you can get a thousand board feet cut into lumber for $200, that's not a bad price for custom sawing. It's in line with my portable sawing. 

I cut 1400 board feet today in 5 hours for $380 including discounted set up fee. That's an average of 250 board feet an hour.  Bigger mills may have higher production but my setup was not $70k.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

longtime lurker

Quote from: jay_d on January 04, 2021, 05:46:49 PM

200 a thousand with a 70k setup new to mill

175 a thousand with a 200k setup to log

Something aint right here
It's not that simple. (or at least its not that simple here, and maybe it is that simple there)

I got a contractor - one of the regular guys we use - he got a near new 45 tonner with a waratah head, he got a D6HII with the winch and grapple, he got a 648 dual arch, he got a wheel loader with log forks, he got all the support equipment to keep it all running.... bought none of it new but all in fair order and it adds up compared to a mill huh?

Now me, I got a saw, and another saw, and another saw, and another saw, and a kiln, and a moulder and a loader and a forklift and alla gear to keep it running.... thats my operating sawmill plant ok. Might cost secondhand about as much as my contractors harvester, might cost new about as much as a new harvestor and a decent wheel loader.... maybe a bit more but not that much.

Of course I've also got 18 acres of industrial land. And sheds - industrial warehousing to the tune of about 50k square feet -  because all my junk needs to be out the weather to work. And all weather hardstand to hold a couple thousand tonne of logs. And usually I got 4 or 5 hundred tonne of logs there, and I had to pay a contractor for them on a 7 day account and I might see that money back in 6 months and he dont give me no warranty if the logs are bad.

And a 3 phase hookup at 100 amps a phase. And I need to comply with regulations from three layers of  government EPA office. And I got insurance premiums will feed a third world country for a year... and... and...

You can't extrapolate the numbers for purchase cost without figuring in the cost of where you put it.... thats what you aint got right here. The grass ain't quite so green as it looks.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

jay_d

Im not saying mill man is getting rich, but i bet your monthly power bill cant hold a candle to my weekly fuel bill. Kilowatt hours are cheaper than fuel horsepower, no way around that.

You bought that land, do the pins and bushing wear out on that piece of ground? Is it losing value every year or 2k hours? 

You talk about a gaurantee on the logs you buy, but when mr scribner or doyle says that load was 3900 and you saw 4600 out of it do you send that supplier another check?

But some how i have got way off topic. All i was trying to figure out was where to buy a manual mill and not have to wait 12 weeks on delivery. So far

Woodmizer :12 weeks out

Timberking : girl at the phone didnt know what 1220 was, sent me to chris. Hasnt called back 

Woodland mills left the phone off the hook (canadian new years parties must be awesome)

Hudson dealer claims he can have a warrior at the end of the month (maybe because nobody wants one?)

Gonna try cooks and ez boardwalk tomorrow

GAB

Quote from: jay_d on January 04, 2021, 07:54:45 PM
Im not saying mill man is getting rich, but i bet your monthly power bill cant hold a candle to my weekly fuel bill. Kilowatt hours are cheaper than fuel horsepower, no way around that.

You bought that land, do the pins and bushing wear out on that piece of ground? Is it losing value every year or 2k hours?

You talk about a gaurantee on the logs you buy, but when mr scribner or doyle says that load was 3900 and you saw 4600 out of it do you send that supplier another check?

But some how i have got way off topic. All i was trying to figure out was where to buy a manual mill and not have to wait 12 weeks on delivery. So far

Woodmizer :12 weeks out

Timberking : girl at the phone didnt know what 1220 was, sent me to chris. Hasnt called back

Woodland mills left the phone off the hook (canadian new years parties must be awesome)

Hudson dealer claims he can have a warrior at the end of the month (maybe because nobody wants one?)

Gonna try cooks and ez boardwalk tomorrow
Try Sawmill Exchange.
They are a sponsor just to the left.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

doc henderson

ask for Matt at TK.  they also sell other wood working product, so the front desk will not know.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!