iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reclaimed beam. What grade to use?

Started by Sedgehammer, April 20, 2021, 09:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

I found a place that sells reclaimed beams for $6 a BF. They have 12x15 eastern white pine that wood work.

I figured out how the beam calculator works, so what grading wood one give it?

Necessity is the engine of drive

Ljohnsaw

The grade depends on the knot sizes and placement.  Picture(s)?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Sedgehammer

I don't have a picture of the offending beam in question. I can possibly ask, but they have several. It's old and grayed.

I'm also wrong on species. It's an eastern white pine 

Ljohnsaw

Well, take the worst available in the calculator (#3?) and see if that passes your needs.  Then, if better, you're in better shape.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Sedgehammer

I think the worst is the bottom one. 12x12 doesn't pass, so the 12x15 that does pass, can't by a lot.

Don P

Hmm, that table doesn't mean your reclaimed beam is that grade. There are a couple of assumptions that were sketchy as well. Sleeping rooms are the only 30 psf load, otherwise residential is 40psf+10psf dead load. Balconies are typically 60psf Live Load + 10psf DL. Recheck  ;).

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Don P on April 20, 2021, 09:14:04 PM
Hmm, that table doesn't mean your reclaimed beam is that grade. There are a couple of assumptions that were sketchy as well. Sleeping rooms are the only 30 psf load, otherwise residential is 40psf+10psf dead load. Balconies are typically 60psf Live Load + 10psf DL. Recheck  ;).
Thanks for the inputs!

Closet is different then bedroom is different then bathroom? Or if the upstairs is all sleeping, then the 30 psf is acceptable?

On the balcony. Why come it's higher?

Don P

Closet is part of sleeping room, bathroom is 40psf min. I never use 30, most do not. Balcony says foot stomping, in time, PARTY. Not you? the kids will  ;)

You are closer to SYP, a much better beam.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Don P on April 21, 2021, 05:05:27 PM
Closet is part of sleeping room, bathroom is 40psf min. I never use 30, most do not. Balcony says foot stomping, in time, PARTY. Not you? the kids will  ;)

You are closer to SYP, a much better beam.
Ok, math re-done. What grading wood you use? Thanks

Don P

That is a good place to start but the beam must be at least up to that grade. Remember the math doesn't change the reality on the ground.That said it is as easy to find a #1 in SYP as it is to find a #3 in EWP, it has better growth habits.

Sedgehammer

Talked to SYP supplier. He said;

Hey Ted good morning.  Our beams are graded per WCLIB rule 17 book.  It will meet or exceed #2 common and likely will exceed #1 common but won't know until we see the logs and mill them 

Thank You Sponsors!