iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bugs in timber beams

Started by esarratt, April 29, 2021, 06:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esarratt

I have noticed some bug holes in the white pine I am milling into a 6" x 9".  The tree was standing dead timber before I got it.

I read about chemical solutions for bugs on the forum, but I think they were all referring to smaller pieces of wood.

The timber will be used to frame a farm building so it doesn't have to look pretty.

My thinking is:
1) Do nothing.
2) Put a chemical in the holes.
3) Blow out the holes with compressed air (or water).

Your thoughts are appreciated.

firefighter ontheside

I think I would do nothing.  As the timber dries out they will die.  You may be able to hear them gnawing on the wood for a while though.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

I regularly borate much larger timbers tham that. It won't hurt to borate and it is relatively cheap. A large vet syringe and a selection of large bore needles can help pump it into holes.

It fails to grade since you don't know the extent of the damage, so just bear that in mind. There's lots of trees in the woods.

esarratt

Quote from: Don P on April 29, 2021, 05:32:47 PM
I regularly borate much larger timbers tham that. It won't hurt to borate and it is relatively cheap. A large vet syringe and a selection of large bore needles can help pump it into holes.

It fails to grade since you don't know the extent of the damage, so just bear that in mind. There's lots of trees in the woods.
Thank you Don.

Luckily, I don't need graded lumber for the barn.

Question: Are there any traditional ways of telling if a timber is structurally sound that wouldn't normally meet grade specifications because of bug holes or damage?

esarratt

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on April 29, 2021, 08:13:44 AM
You may be able to hear them gnawing on the wood for a while though.
Cool!

Don P

On some stuff you'll see proof loading, 2.1 times max design load.

scsmith42

You can purchase Timbor off of eBay. I use a 15% solution applied with a backpack sprayer.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!