The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Dutch style cabin- seeking feedback  (Read 452 times)

Offline slackwaterfarms

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Dutch style cabin- seeking feedback
« on: April 30, 2021, 12:35:47 PM »
Hi all!
Im a new member and was hoping I could get some feedback on my frame design. 
Its a white pine, three-bent design with overall dimensions of 20x16. Ive attached a draft of my bent design which will sit on pressure treated sills on concrete piers. Members tying the bents together will be a ridge plate and three top plates (all 16, continuous)  and a discontinuous girt running along the taller of the two walls at a 3.5 height- These will all be tied with wind braces.  A loft will occupy one bay, with joists and planks laying right on top of the tie beams. 

My major question has to do with timber sizing. Ive drafted the posts, primary rafters, plates, and all other secondary members as 6x6 timbers, with the tie beam a 6x12. Does this seem acceptable? Ive been looking at timber frame barns in my area (coastal Maine), and the old one on my property uses mostly hand hewn pieces of about 6.5. Its much larger than my planned structure and the interior has very few interior, supporting members- making me think my dimensions are adequate. Or, should I move up to 7x7 pieces? 

Id also love some feedback on my roofing system, which Im finding more difficult to design. Im thinking of running 4x6 secondary rafters between the bents at 2 o.c, and purlins at 4 on center. The rafters will join tongue and fork at the peak and sit atop the rafter plate. Does anyone have joinery suggestions for this interface? 

And one more question- should my wind braces meet the post at the same height as my other braces, or should I drop/raise them to avoid making parts of the post too busy?

Thanks a bunch!

p.s.- the tie beam-post joint Im planning to use is a shouldered 2 thru tenon secured at the back with wedges, if my drawing is unclear. 

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Re: Dutch style cabin- seeking feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 10:51:04 AM »
Questions? Why the queenposts above the anchor beam rather than simply continuing up with a post over the lower post to support the ridge beam?
What is the reason for the low girt and braces in the shed? Not saying any of that is wrong just trying to understand.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline slackwaterfarms

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 11:58:02 AM »
Thanks for the reply/interest! Much appreciated.

My thinking on the queens was to give the rafters some support at their midspan within the main section of the bent- to reduce bending and resulting thrust. Also from an aesthetic view I liked the smaller H-bent within the larger one- and it allows me to add a post to support the ridge beam. 

The low girt on the shed is to counter the thrust imposed on the shed post by the rafter, and I've added braces for rigidity. 

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 07:56:18 PM »
If there is a ridge, designed as a proper load carrying element, as long as the ridge does not drop, there is no lateral thrust.

Aesthetics aside, the most efficient way to support a ridgebeam and not have it drop is a single post. The vertical grain of the post will shrink very little. Every horizontal member that supports the post is going to allow the ridge to drop by at least the amount of shrinkage. Add to that any deflection if it is acting as a spanning beam.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline DonW

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 12:14:18 PM »
My actual Dutch barn has no additional roof support elements. Rafters are supported at the longitudinal beam connecting the three bent construction and the wall plate of the lean to. There's no ridge beam since that'd block the opening for the owl to come in. Rafters may be half lapped and nailed but even that's not necessary. Thrust is controlled by a "hannenbalk" I don't know the English name, connecting opposing rafters so the load is on the piled posts. It does have longitudinal bracing as well as the post to anchor braces. Very clean, simple, sufficient and I'd say aesthetically good and economical construction.
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Seeking feedback on Bent Design

Started by Jim_Rogers on Timber Framing/Log construction

0 Replies
Last post September 26, 2015, 07:44:27 AM
by Jim_Rogers
xx
Your opinion? Cruck vs Hammer Beam/Dutch Style bent

Started by wkheathjr on Timber Framing/Log construction

21 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 08:53:17 PM
by routestep