iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine tar wood preservative

Started by dfvellone, May 13, 2021, 01:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfvellone

Anyone familiar with pine tar outdoor wood preservative? The forumulations I'm seeing are a mix of pine tar and raw linseed oil.
Any experience with it you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

DonW

Yes, I've used pine tar for years, tarring my barn and some places inside the barn and other buildings, treating rope and just about anywhere I can use it I do, more because I like the process  than for preservation. And with this use I've found that it cannot tolerate uv light so unless you are prepared to re-coat an exterior twice yearly an addition of pigment is needed along with the raw linseed oil. Also, it's very viscous and needs to be applied hot, (preferred ), or thinned. Tarring rope I use old chainsaw fuel, diesel's probably better, and dilute heavily. It takes weeks to oxidize typically which needs to be kept in mind in cases where it comes in contact, particularly with a dog that's prone to sheading. 
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

DonW

I see, df, you've posted up an almost identical query about a year ago. Unsatisfactory responses?

btulloh

Look up pine tar kilns. That's the way they used to do it for shipbuilding and waterproofing. It can be done on a small scale. Uses a retort type of approach. It's also in vogue now with off-grid and primitive method people. Probably been an article in mother earth news at some point. 
HM126

Tom King

Before the Revolution, Naval Stores was one of the largest exports from North Carolina.

Naval stores - Wikipedia

DonW

Thank You Sponsors!