iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making it through another year '21-'23

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2021, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Well, not mush got done over the weekend. Morning fires in the shop to keep it dry and sanding and adding coats to the bench top. I made another pair of sawhorses somewhere in there for and upcoming project, and another pair of staging bunks for down at the mill. I ran the bunks and that cedar log down to the mill on Sunday and brought a bunk back for repair. Apparently when you hit one with the forks when it has a load of lumber on it, the screws can shear right off. ;D Easy fix and something to do. 
 I had to bring the wife's van in for inspection today and as I am standing in the bay with the computer plugged into it I see a puddle of coolant accumulating at my feet. I apologize to my friend, the shop owner and unhook the cable as soon as his 'inspection' is complete and back it out to minimize the mess in his 'not exactly clean' but serviceable shop. ;D
 We checked it out on the ramp, not very low on coolant, not overheating, I decided to drive it home, but it looked like the radiator is leaking. I got home, no leaking. ARRGH. I went and did other stuff to let it cool.
 I pulled the bench out of the shop onto a tarp and put the top on some horses upside down, Painted the bottom of the cabinet, the bottom of the top, flipped the cabinet and used the rest of the gallon to finish the cabinet. I sprayed it all and went through the whole gallon. DANG! I barely made it and just left a little in the can for touch ups. I broke for lunch.
 Got back out there and looked all over the van as best as I could for the leak. No joy. So I took it for a drive to get it up to temp and under some pressure. When I got home I has a few drops, nothing I could really nail down. Those front wheel drives are pretty tight up front. I decided it wasn't gonna blow anytime soon and we will let it go for a bit and just keep an eye on it.
 SO I moved the cabinet back in the shop. No small feat, it's gotta be over 200# and I put the top back on it, probably over 100#. As expected, I had scuffed up the finish on the top when I flipped it. No big deal, I had to sand and do another coat anyway. It was planned. So I sanded and did that 'last coat'.
 It doesn't look too bad at all.

I believe I will call these the final photos. It's just gonna sit for a week or two to let the finish harden up. The moisture in the wood is slowing this considerably. The client probably won't be ready for delivery before the 22nd anyway, he's traveling to a conference right now.
 For the record, this is a BROWN paint, says so on the label "Padre Brown". It's a semi transparent preservative and sealer.

SO you get some light sections here and there. I think this will mellow out over time and sunshine. I also think the client will be happy. Ain't nobody gonna steal this without a crane. In fact, I am still trying to figure out how to deliver and install it. I am not sure 2 guys can lift it. I have trouble lifting one end.
 Tomorrow is yet another day.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

aigheadish

Looks good Tom! And I see brown on this one!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Nebraska

You could push delivery back a few years til those grandsons get bigger.  :)
Tool Cat forks and some car dollys??

doc henderson

That color is much browner than the other.  the little bit of purple hue I see is prob. just reflection off the Catskill mountains.  you know purple mountains majesty. :o   the top is beautiful, and the stain uptake is prob. the wood itself, and looks good next to the top.   :) smiley_thumbsup
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Doc, that little bit of purple you 'see' is a reflection off the West Virginia hills which is about halfway between us and originates in Howards mind.

Nebraska I am not so much worried about loading it. I will flag somebody down who is driving by and let them give me a hand. But I have to unload it into a spot in the woods and can only get the trailer within about 40' at best. I am not going to bring a machine out there. But maybe they can rustle up a tractor with forks. They have an orchard there and I believe I saw something orange or red in one of the garages. ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

doc henderson

:D :D :D :D

how about temp 8-inch pneumatic tire/wheel/castors, or a two wheeled cart laid flat.  I know how you like to play with dollies.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

samandothers

Been a while since I've been on the FF so I am catching up slowly.  I have a question about the top and how it was attached.  It appears to be two layers of ship lap and each layer shifted about half a board width. How did you account for the movement in the wood between the two layers and fasten it to the base?  

It turned out very nice and it looks heavy as your post moving it in and out of the garage validated.

Old Greenhorn

Well green wood is always a crapshoot. ;D The wo layers are screwed together from the bottom with 1-1/2 screws. The grain all runs the same way so shrinkage between layers should all run about the same.  I have some straps across the bottom and some alignment blocks so that when you set the top it drops right in square. The top is not fastened at this point and frankly with the weight, it doesn't really need it. When I install is I will likely just run some screws toed in from inside the cabinet to discourage tampering.

Doc, I don't think I am going to go crazy making something to move it. I have two heavy duty hand trucks and one on each end should do it. I have moved machines that way frequently in the past. It's a balancing act, but goes quick. The ground is fairly rough where this is going.

WV Sawmiller

I have been nice now you done gone and dragged me into the mix again. >:( If you painted your property line trees with that "Padre Brown" I assure it would hold up in court for any trespassers caught on your place. Brown? Yeah I see brown -it is on top of that purple base. I guess you are going to call that blonde or something else. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Gee Howard, it seems like, no matter how inadvertently, a nerve has been struck. I assure you I had no intention of 'dragging you' anywhere. I simply was using your well defined sense of texture, hue, and color as a point of reference.
 If however, you see any purple in that brown paint, I think we need to start a go-fund-me campaign to buy you a new monitor. It can be the only explanation.
 Do you need a hug?

GRANITEstateMP

Tom, see if you can get your hands on a coolant pressure tester. It attaches to the rad cap area and you then apply pressure to the system. It can really help with diag of leaks
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

WV Sawmiller

Go ahead with the Go-Fund-Me and just donate the proceeds to the FF for the good work they do. 

Thanks for the offer of a hug but I will take a rain check.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on May 10, 2022, 06:26:45 PM
Tom, see if you can get your hands on a coolant pressure tester. It attaches to the rad cap area and you then apply pressure to the system. It can really help with diag of leaks
Funny you mention that. She came home today from a short drive and it was dripping so I searched some more. The only thing I can put my fingers on and come away wet is that red cap which I assume is the plastic version that passes as a drain cock in the age of plastics. I am loaded the next few days, but as soon as I can pull it over to the shop and get a jack under it maybe I can get my eyes on it well enough to figure it out. It may be a big nothing. I know I can neither loosen or tighten it with the poor grip I can get on it right now.

Hilltop366

The top tank on my old rav4 started to leak, I think it was the seal between the tank and the core which was available from toyota but I just changed the whole rad.

All I had to do to find the leak was top it off replace the cap squeeze the top rad hose.

doc henderson

they make a pump with adaptors.  i would be surprised if Bill did not have one you could borrow.

edit:  I see that was mentioned. 

GRANITEstateMP

if it is the plastic drain cock, some have a little bugger oring on them, keep an eye on that
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Old Greenhorn

Well the routine continues and I remain busy but everything is routine and not worth mentioning. I mentioned in another thread I made a raised bed last week on a rainy day and finished it Friday night. 

I stuck some landscaping  cloth in the bottom and called it good. This one is 18x36x12" deep. I figured a smaller one to use up some lumber and if I get interest I will 'build to suit'.

On Saturday morning I put it out on the front lawn and stuck a pair of sawhorses there also.

The sawhorses sold to a neighbor by early afternoon.

As it happens, my wife had a craft show this weekend and she can no longer do these without help to load in & out and setup the basic tables, shelving, etc. I keep trying to persuade her to taper off because it takes a lot out of her and doesn't bring in much cash, but she enjoys it and has tapered off the number of shows she does, so we continue on. It falls to me most times to help with the loading the van at home, unloading and hauling into the show, setting up the 'frame work' and then reversing the process. This show was one day with partial setup Friday evening and spring indoor shows rarely do well for her. I did some rough tallying and figured she had about 5-6 hours of her labor outside of show hours for all the above 'in and out' stuff. Much of that time I was working also. Then she had 8 hours of 'show time'. All that carrying and hauling and packing messed up my back again and today I am very stiff and sore.

As expected, it was a poor show and she made $70. in sales. During that same period, I sold a pair of saw horses for $75. that took me 20 minutes to make. She ain't happy. I ain't too happy either given the way my back feels. 
 Yesterday I did very little but mow the lawn and finished it 15 minutes before a gulley washer T-storm came through. :) We went to a 'first time' flea market at the Ashokan Center that I had considered bringing some stuff to. Good to see old friends and yeah, I might should have thrown some stuff in the truck and made a day of it sitting in the sun and listening to great music. But that's why I went to check it out. Probably next time they do it. 

I need to go to the chiro, but that costs money and I will wait until our next appt. in 2 weeks.
---------------------------------------

So I note that the date is coming up here when I usually shut down this current thread and move onto a new one. I will continue the tradition, but I will not be starting a new thread. The stuff I am working on these days is very much routine and boring as I transition from being newly retired and having fun, into a fixed income person trying to make ends meet and doing more for the cash than the fun because I have to. I don't see anything interesting in that and no purpose for a thread to discuss it. Of course if/when I get something of interest I will post it in the appropriate thread or make a new one. But for the day to day, it's time to move on. These have been a lot of fun and generated a bunch of valuable learning for me at least, as well as provide a good chronicle so I can go look back. As several have mentioned here and in the previous series, I have progressed a long way and I am always surprised when I go look back at what I was doing 12 months ago and it feels like it was 3 years ago. Sometimes I have to check the dates.
 So I'm not going anywhere, but on Tuesday I will make the last post, unless somebody has follow up. 

aigheadish

Bummer to hear it ending, Tom, as I always look forward to reading your adventures, but I understand. Sometimes it's time to hang up the spurs on something like this and you are a prolific writer, so the time saved will likely be substantial.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

Some would say (and have) that I am too prolific with a tendency toward verbosity. :D But there is no point in writing boring stuff.
 Over the years I started writing the same book 3 times with different perspectives each time. I never finished it or got close because I bored myself. I did write some articles based on some of the concepts that were picked up by trade magazines, but that was in another life. ;D
 I'm not going anywhere, just moving into a different phase. These last couple of months I am really starting to feel old. It's not the age, it's the state of mind. Put another way: It ain't the years, it's the miles.
:D

Ljohnsaw

but what about helping you pick out different shades of purple brown paint? ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

I am certain we will all find satisfaction through other forms of amusement. :D

WV Sawmiller

Congrats on the sale of the sawhorses and planters. Stay safe and healthy. Keep them fungus/fungi/mushroom logs coming. 

Please understand and remember the design committee is only a short post away. We have recently recruited a fashion consultant who specializes in subtle shades to help but that is another issue. (We coaxed him out of retirement to work with us on your projects. His biggest featured accomplishment was working with Prince on Purple Rain but I digress...)
Howard Green

JD Guy

Well @Old Green Horn I am a new member here and if it's of any interest to you I went back and started reading your thread from page a few weeks or so ago. I found it extremely interesting with your mushroom logging, saw milling (learning curve) as well as the other episodes. You also have some great friends here on FF as well as neighbors. You and the other posters to your thread kept me in stitches with y'all's back and forth!

Going to miss it but look forward to still reading your posts and that of your Buddies!

Best Wishes, Ed

Old Greenhorn

OH, this thread will go away, but I don't see that things will change much. I will still post if I think I have anything interesting, it will just be spread through other threads is all. If I get into a good project, I might start a short thread for that so the color police can have their days of glory. :D

I'm glad you enjoyed some of my drivel.

GRANITEstateMP

Wait!  Tom, if you end the thread, where will the design committee meet? I felt as if they were going to take me under there wing in the next project or two...
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Thank You Sponsors!