iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS462 pitch

Started by condonse, June 16, 2021, 10:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

condonse

I have a Stihl MS462 saw, I want to buy a 25" bar & chain.  The stihl chart shows both .050 & .063 gauge bars & chains available.  Is one more desirable?  Does it matter as long as the chain matches the bar?

Sonny

lxskllr

Chain has to match the bar. If I were buying a new saw, I'd get .050. Otherwise, get what fits.

sawguy21

You are correct, it doesn't matter as long as the bar and chain match. Go with whatever is popular in your area so the dealer has stock when you need it. 3/8x.063 is almost unheard of in our area but seems common in the east.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

condonse

Thanks for the replies.  i wonder why stihl makes the two similar bars & chains.  I realize they need to match but with the internet I can easily find both gauge bars & chains.  I assumed one would have some mechanical benefit over the other.

lxskllr

Some of the old timers here might have more insight, but I assumed .063 was due to historical reasons. Madsens kind of implies that with their description of chain gauge...

"The gauge of a chain refers to the thickness of its drive links.
It is determined by measuring the portion of the drive link that fits into the groove of the guide bar. It is usually expressed in thousandths of an inch: .050" or .063".
The gauge measurement of a saw chain tells a pro user about the strength of a chain's drive links. Thicker drive links are usually stronger, but they are heavier. Weight affects performance, and to maximize cutting speed, weight should be kept to a minimum. Like most things in life, there are compromises. Pro saw chain is no different. The rule usually is: Run the lightest gauge chain that stays together and gives you decent service life.
What Most Pro Users Run: Several years ago .063" was most popular. Today, the trend is shifting toward .050". .058" is popular in some areas, but it is rarely used in the Pacific Northwest.
What Most Harvesters Run: Harvesters that run .404" usually run .080" gauge chain. Harvesters that run 3/4" pitch chain run .122" gauge chain.
Saw Setup: The gauge of the chain and the groove in the bar must match."

Pitch & Gauge Explained

It looks to me like it's been a long running experiment to find the lightest driver that'll do the job.

ehp

its a area thing, here for us 3/8's stihl chain is normally .050 , Husky here is .058 but not that far from me husky is .050 . Stihl 3/8's chain is .063 up at the rivot part of the chain and they step the driver down to .050 , The part that sits in the bar groove . One thing that has been proven thou is the .063 driver oils better than the .050 driver . 

Thank You Sponsors!