iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not Quitting but Slowing Down

Started by Magicman, July 01, 2021, 07:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

DR_Buck recent post prompted me to share some of what is/has been going on with my sawing profile. 

It's well known that I do not (have not) refused any sawing job regardless of the location as long as the customer was paying.  As a result of that, the fact is, my business has outgrown my capability. 

I guess that it is our nature to keep on keeping on, but Mother Nature and Father Time also keeps on.  I will turn 78 in a couple of weeks so I made a decision on June 15th to trim back.  I notified 11 customers (~40Mbf) that, due to health reasons, I would not be able to saw their logs.  8 of these jobs were passed off to a local sawyer, and FF member, that I had briefly communicated with but had never met.  Going forward I will not accept any job over ~50 miles away that is not a "one day job".  I have that one 106 mile away job that I did not finish because of the loader fire and I will finish it if/when the customer calls.

Quitting and selling out would be an option but I'm still generating more sawing income each year than the sawmill's selling price.  The sawmill and my website could easily put the right person in business, but that ain't happening.  My/our long range plan had been for (Son) Marty to take over the sawing, but his startup construction company is doing well enough to remove that option.

Sooo, my plan is to hopefully trim back to 2-3 days every 2-3 weeks which was my original plan to begin with.  Yes, this considerably reduces our income and some of our activities, but it was never a matter of if, but when?  When is now.  smiley_wavy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

I'm sorry to see a change needed, but glad you are able to recognize that a change is needed and make it happen. I hope you get to spend a lot more time with family going forward. You've inspired many of my business practices, thank you!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

doc henderson

should give you more quality time with your beautiful family.  I have worked since the age of 13 and often feel I am owed a bit of childhood.   :)  Good for you.  now you can start making some of those jumps you signed up for at the senior parachute club!   :o  I am nothing but happy for you.  If you do not decide at some point, the decision will be made for you.  God bless you and your family.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

I understand and hope and trust this decision works out well for you and your family. I knew you had posted in the past that you had hoped your son and, I gather, grandsons might take over and continue the business and I still have my fingers crossed this happens if it is best for you and them.

Maybe the next step is to open/expand into "Knothole Lumber Consulting and Training" and you and Miz Pat can ramble the USA (World?) training new sawyers and teaching experienced sawyers how to improve their sawing.

The guys in Liberia are also looking for missionaries to come help train their team members on how to best use and maintain their WM equipment. Good luck on this decision and keep us well posted.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

69bronco

Sounds like a good plan Lynn! My father used to say( your dead a long time). Enjoy!

tacks Y

Hope you enjoy your semi-retirement 8)

I have also worked many hours since young and when my children were growing up. Now with Grand kids i take time off, change diapers and baby sit. I AM HAVING A BLAST and still working just not as much.

Have fun with your time off. 

Sixacresand

I suspect in your future 2-3 days  every 2-3 weeks, you will mill more than most of us.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Resonator

Congrats on your decision, you have definitely earned some "free time". You are an inspiration to us "youngsters", and hope to build my business to be as successful as yours is. smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

sealark37

It is an acknowledged fact that a worker who shows up, does good work, and serves his customer, will soon have more work than he can cover.  This is true, regardless of age.  Your first responsibility is to yourself and your family.  Making the work fit your own needs is simply good management.  Your plan is a good one.  Rock On!

maple flats

I fully understand your decision.
Back just 4 yrs ago, I thought I'd still be going strong until I got to my early 80's. I was judging by my dad. He went strong until 87 before he slowed down. Then in 2018 I was diagnosed with kidney cancer, and had successful surgery, but the sit and do nothing for 6 full weeks Doctor's order caused me to come out of it at about half speed. I used to walk rather fast, since then I can't even push myself to walk fast, even though I try often.
I'm only 74, currently in quite good health, but working more than 3 hrs at a time does me in, just 4 yrs ago I often worked 6-7 hrs, had lunch break and worked another 6 or 7 hrs. Age cought up with me, I've slowed but I still am trying to do most of what I did in the recent past, it just takes me 3 days to do what I did in 1 as recently as 4 yrs ago.
Just listen closely to your body.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Stephen1

A Great decision you will not regret. 
you still get to saw and get to enjoy some free time.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

pineywoods

Good call MM. Me too, I just turned 85 it's time for me. Some time back I started refering saw jobs to a good sawyer friend. Now I'm finding that I can no longer tolerate the heat.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Percy

Maybe have time for another visit 🤓

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

terrifictimbersllc

Lynn, your announcement gives us all a pause for reflecting on what's important. Wish you the best in the adjustment. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mike_belben

Theres more to life than work folks.  Get your moneys worth out of good health before work spends it all up on ya. 

Good for you scaling back lynn. 
Praise The Lord

jb616

I think at 78 you've deserved a slow down :).   I will always look to your contributions here on the forum and hey, who knows, you might be able to take the time to share some How To videos with us newbies. Best of health to you and your family! 

brianJ

It is a wise man that makes life-changing decisions rather than waiting until life forces those decisions.

taylorsmissbeehaven

Congratulations Lynn! I am very happy and excited for you to have some time. You have done a lot of sawing and were kind enough share your wisdom and experience with all of us. I really appreciate that and wish you the very best. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

trimguy

Shoot, I thought all you did was sit under the umbrella and ride back and forth drinking sweet tea.  :D :D :D No, really , well deserved break, enjoy the free time and thanks for all your knowledge you share.

WV Sawmiller

Trim,

Now that you mention it seems the MagicMan posts almost as many pictures of food his customers feed him as he does lumber he has cut. I've been trying to get a good look at his mill from all angles to see if he has a "Will work for food" sticker stuck on it somewhere. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

slider

Lynn i m 71 and go almost as hard as you do but i m slowing down and picking my jobs . My wife said  while back to sell my lt70 sell my self loader ,sell my skid steer, sell my tree service equipment , 75 ft forestry bucket and f350 and 20 ft dump and just stop. I will some day but not yet. i am glad you made your decision ,if i make your age i will be right with you.

I still saw but the tree service keeps me thinkin

Stay on the forum.
al glenn

KenMac

May God continue to bless you and your family immensely in your next phase of life!!  By all means please continue to share your wisdom and knowledge with us on the FF.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

dgdrls

smiley_thumbsup!  gonna be great Lynn!

Congratulations

D

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 01, 2021, 08:48:10 AM
Lynn,

I understand and hope and trust this decision works out well for you and your family. I knew you had posted in the past that you had hoped your son and, I gather, grandsons might take over and continue the business and I still have my fingers crossed this happens if it is best for you and them.

Maybe the next step is to open/expand into "Knothole Lumber Consulting and Training" and you and Miz Pat can ramble the USA (World?) training new sawyers and teaching experienced sawyers how to improve their sawing.

The guys in Liberia are also looking for missionaries to come help train their team members on how to best use and maintain their WM equipment. Good luck on this decision and keep us well posted.
Lynn,
    I know this comes bittersweet.  I like it that I can work and stop when I want to, or go visit my daughter and Grand daughter.  So keep going in your slow down.  Maybe you can open up Knothole Tailgunners Training School!
                   hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

sawmilllawyer

Good on you, Lynn, I have had the pleasure of reading your sage advice and marveled in your wisdom. As Clint Eastwood would say, "A man has to know his limitations." Best of everything in this new phase of your life. Do not become a couch potato, I really don't think there are any worries there. Enjoy life a little more I don't know of anyone who while lying on their deathbed said, "Gee, I wished I had worked a little harder. 8)
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Bruno of NH

Mr Lynn,
I understand your decision fully.
Thank you for all your help to all us budding sawyers.
I hope to at least do half of what you have done at your age.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

Nothing to be down about- more time for family and enjoying life. If anyone has "been there and done that" with a Woodmizer, it's Lynn. I'm happy for you!
Too many irons in the fire

donbj

You're a Rock Star Magicman. You earned some time off! You just need to test those 1 1/2"ers yet though :D
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

John S

Congratulations and thank you for all of the useful information that you have provided for us youngsters!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

YellowHammer

Congratulations on the decision.  Now you will have more time to spend on the Forum to help us.  8) 8)
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Chuck White

Congratulations on your slowdown Lynn!    8)
You've got me by a few years, but two years ago I made the same decision, to cut back and slow down!

I Had a guy about 6 miles away that at that time I just couldn't get to, so after a lot of talking and asking questions, he decided to buy a new LT35HDG25 and enjoys it!

He still asks a lot of questions, but I love answering sawmill and milling questions when I can!

I've referred MANY of my sawjobs over to him!

Now I have spare time and even sharpen his blades.

I may sell my mill in the next few years, but I do think I'll keep my sharpening setup!

A guys gotta have something to do!

I just finished a 6,000+bf sawjob yesterday, and have another 3,500bf job about 3/4 mile from home, and he's not in a big hurry!  ;D

Enjoy life my friend!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Thank You everyone for your kind words and I ain't leaving.  I just refused a $55K business sellout which would have been for both my sawmill and my website.  Then another inquiry this morning.  ::)

I'll just keep on keeping on and that 106 mile guy with the burned skid steer called and that finish-up job is scheduled to begin Aug 2nd.  It doesn't end...... ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

KenMac

If I were blessed enough to be in your situation, I think I would enjoy hooking up the camper and becoming a "Traveling Sawyer Consultant". May be good money in it, too.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WV Sawmiller

Or at least a few more good home cooked meals. :D
Howard Green

711ac

First of all, Happy birthday 👍
Smell the Rose's a little, then saw a little. Sounds like a good plan.
Maybe woodmizer needs to find and hire a fine southern gentleman, give him a nice RV and a mill to tow around the country to events and represent them at shows.
I don't think they could find a better representative than you, Mr. Beenthere Donethat (aka)
Magicman.

Rhodemont

When Knothole Consulting comes to the Northeast sign me up...I could use some consultation.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Danmcc

If you come to Charlotte, NC I'm up for a consultancy. Congrats on slowing down, life's too short to not enjoy your time. 

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on July 05, 2021, 10:29:14 AM
Thank You everyone for your kind words and I ain't leaving.  I just refused a $55K business sellout which would have been for both my sawmill and my website.  Then another inquiry this morning.  ::)
I have a standing answer when people offer to partner or buy me out.  I say:
"Sure, $5 million and its all yours, even the house and property."   :D :D

Nobody's taken me up on it yet, but if they do, we're gonna have a party at the nearest Applebee's.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

I can see it in the news already when the sale is complete - War Eagle Hardwoods in New Market Ala is now open for business.
Howard Green

KenMac

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 08, 2021, 05:51:36 PM
  I can see it in the news already when the sale is complete - War Eagle Hardwoods in New Market Ala is now open for business.
Then I might even drive the 120 miles and buy something!! :D

fat olde elf

You and I are blessed with wonderful wives.  I'm sure that your decision was based on several consultations with Pat.
I celebrated my 84th birthday on June 22.  PTL  Bonnie turned 85 in February. We both attended church on the last 2 sundays in over a year......She bought me a new suit, first one in over 35 years. 

Congratulations to both of you on your decision !!  Life is good..........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Magicman

Maybe I could get into the tree removal business.  It's an MS881 and comes with a 60" bar and is only $2,000.  ;D

Old Greenhorn

Better grab 2 in case one gets pinched and you need the other to cut it out. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

I'm trying to envision wedging the trees you are cutting with that bar. Maybe those are the ones where you cut a notch in the tree and use a car jack to lift. 
Howard Green

doc henderson

i have that saw/bar combo, and make the same face each time I pick it up!   :D :D :D   :o  :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Before you buy that saw you need to ask yourself 2 questions:

1. Can I mill the logs once I get them bucked to length?

2. If the answer is yes, can Luke carry the boards when we cut them? 
Howard Green

doc henderson

I use it to rip saw logs in half so I CAN put then on my mill.  big cottonwood, maple and Elms.

Magicman

If I bought it I would have a put a Reply in the "Dumb" topic.  :o  8)

Magicman

I have gotten a few questions regarding my slowdown and maybe a sorta explanation is in order.

My decision was to quit sawing "out of town" jobs that require overnight stays which fairly well eliminated jobs over 50 miles away.  (I have rescheduled one unfinished out of town job for Aug. 2nd.)

My situation is that my sawing business has simply outgrown my ability to saw them all.  I guess a good problem if I wanted to saw full time which was never my intent.  I finished a 6200 bf job Thursday and decided not to saw until next Thursday, after I turn 78....Yup, a week off and folks waiting for me to saw.  ::)  I said "health reasons" and that is accurate enough for me and certainly not arguable.  :)

doc henderson

seeing you wield that chainsaw, you must be dong something right.  It is of course your decision no matter what the reason.  It will be good to spend less time away from home, while you do still have good health.

trimguy

Maybe it's time to teach Luke to run the mill and one of his buddies to off bear. Of course grandpa would still keep a percentage off the top. Just a thought.

Magicman

I have 22 personal logs to saw and Luke will be behind the wheel.  8)

Wane One

Mr MM,
Lynn,

I have really enjoyed reading all about your milling jobs\and the rest of the chatter on the FF over the last couple years.
I thought I knew a lot after 30+ yrs in the sawdust.
Every time I logged into this site I learned lots big time.

Good on you to keep your cutting within your Life Needs.
We only have a bit of time...

Hope to meet you n Pat at the 'roast'.

Best
Wane One
Fish Ranch MillWorkZ
Oakland CA
Lucas 10/30 swing blade sawmill. Izuzu NRR 12' flatbed Dump truck with 4000# grapple boom loader. Multiple Stihl saws, joiners, planers, ripsaws, etc.

paul case

Hey there Lynn, 
Dont think too much about slowing down. We here at the Case place have turned away all custom business for the last 6 months. We have still gotten several folks that try to bring me logs to saw for them. I even have quit buying logs that show up from who knows where. 

I did not say we quit sawing. We have not. We are sawing 4+ days a week and producing more than normal since we only have a few sizes that we saw so the numbers are most the times the same. Enjoying life a little more. 

My dogs get tired. My muscles do not work as long before we are worn out. Scott and Dakota are great help and Scott does most of the sawing. Willie's mill has 5k hours now. 

Take up videoing and make some you tube money. With your following on here you would have a few thousand subs in nothing flat. 

Just how I see it .
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Thank you Paul and it's good to hear from you.  My business profile will be the same....except different.  smiley_dizzy

Still sawing mostly framing lumber except closer to home and hopefully fewer days.  ;D

DbltreeBelgians

Happy Birthday Lynn 8)   and enjoy the slowdown.

Brent

Resonator

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Nebraska

Happy Birthday  thank you for all the free learning.

Andries

Quote from: paul case on July 13, 2021, 09:57:15 PMHey there Lynn,
Dont think too much about slowing down.  . .  .Take up videoing and make some you tube money. With your following on here you would have a few thousand subs in nothing flat. . . .
Salutations on your birthday, young man!
Best wishes and good health for many years to come.
Paul is hitting the nail there, MM.
If you run a search in YouTube for good quality footage on how an expert runs a mobile bandsaw - well, it's dissapointing. There has to be a big demand for that kind of material, with the record number of new mills being sold.
I've enjoyed the "Essential Craftsman" series on YouTube. A quiet voice that lays out what's going on and plenty of footage to show the concept. 
Mr Yellowhammer is is also putting out a few excellent programs, and each video he produces is better than the last.
 Is Luke handy with a camera? It'd take some experimenting but Paul's suggestion is a good one - to pass all the know-how along to the next generation.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

trimguy

doc henderson

happy birthday.  now that you are 78, I think you should slow down a bit!   :o :o :)

Brian C.

Happy Birthday, Lynn. I hope it was enjoyable. 
Now I have a question, will we see you and Miss Pat at the Pig Roast?

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Thank You all for the kind words and Happy Birthday Wished.  PatD and I enjoyed a nice Fried Catfish lunch today.  food3

Quote from: Brian C. on July 14, 2021, 03:53:45 PMNow I have a question, will we see you and Miss Pat at the Pig Roast?

No sadly we have other obligations and will not be able to attend the Pig Roast this year.

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

I made a site visit and turned down another job yesterday.  Thankfully this happened to be only a slight detour and no dead travel expense.  I already had pictures from the log owner so I was simply verifying my decision. 

Turning down jobs is a strange occurrence for me.  

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

What was the reject cause? Too big, too small, bad location, too far away, customer couldn't cook? :D
Howard Green

Magicman

They weren't what I considered to be "logs". 

A knotty knocked out 11' Magnolia "log" in the front yard and....

these 6'-7' Pine "logs" in the back yard.  I would usually saw and scale them as 8' but nope, I ain't sawing any of them.

I did pick up what sounds like a nice Oak job this morning, and declined two.  One (5 Oak logs) was 155 miles and the other (framing lumber with lodging) was 109 miles.  I'll saw the good stuff that is close and cull the rest.

doc henderson

Where was Luke?  will he join the FF and if so what would his handle be?

Magicman

Luke is working with/for (Son) Marty.  I only had him borrowed for that last job.

WV Sawmiller

155 miles? But I thought ... Oh, never mind. :P
Howard Green

Magicman

Nope, not anymore.  I have pictures of the logs and I could leave home early, drive, saw, and drive home in a day, but if I am going to change my way of thinking, those loong days are in my past.

Okrafarmer

Congratulations, MM, on your deliberate management decision! I'm glad you are able to make this decision instead of it being made for you.  ;) 

The magnolia log would have been my specialty, but they can keep the truncated pine stubs.  :-\

I'm finishing up a 6,000 +/- bf yellow pine job right now. We decided, very firmly, that we will not take our new mill mobile--people can bring us the logs, or it won't happen. They keep on bringing them for some reason..... Can't wait to get back into some retail logs next, probably some walnut as we're running out of dimensional walnut to sell and have some logs in.

If you ever come through South Carolina, come see me!

:)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on July 15, 2021, 10:07:16 AM
 saw the good stuff that is close and cull the rest.
That is what I did from day one decades ago. Always had a ton of work without sawing the junk logs.
No matter what they wanted to give me in $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. :)

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

dgdrls

I like your plan Lynn,
I hope you had a great b'day with PatD.

D

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Texas Ranger

Got a couple of years on you MM, I didn't slow down, my body did.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

Most of you have seen "Fat Albert" handling logs that were mine to saw and the occasional log that was brought here that needed unloading.  A 1966 Oliver with a 78hp 6 cylinder Waukesha engine. 

He was a genuine monster and there seemingly was no limit what he could pick up and handle.  Well, my slowing down has included finding Fat Albert a new home.

So today he backed himself up onto this lowboy for a trip to his new home, and a good home it will be.  Kinda sad because we will miss the rumble of that engine when it fired off.

Old Greenhorn

Somebody got a good deal. Time marches on. tomorrow is a new day. I am sure you will miss it from time to time, but keep looking forward not back. Man, what I would do to get a machine like that around here.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

I didn't know you cared! What time is Albert getting here? :D
Howard Green

Magicman

This "slowing down" ain't easy.  I passed off a ~60 mile job this morning and am now agonizing over a 175 mile Cypress job.  When you are accustomed to taking whatever rang the phone and now saying "no" goes against how I built my sawmilling business for the past 20+ years.  Yes, I know what I am gonna do but.... :-X

Tom the Sawyer

Lynn,
I, too, am slowing down; even though I am 8 years younger and been at it half as long as you have.  I really enjoy converting my clients' logs to lumber, but not every job is a joy.  When I don't enjoy a milling job, I evaluate what it was that was a problem.  It may be something I can easily fix, but sometimes it means a change in business protocols.  Once in awhile there are clients who are turned down for a subsequent appointment.

I used to schedule mobile appointments year round in what, I hoped, was decent weather.  We don't have your temperate weather, after a couple of years of miserable winter conditions jobs, my mobile season is now April through October.  I also schedule no more than one mobile appointment per week during the season.  I am also much more selective about mobile jobs where there are site prep issues, lack of equipment where probably needed, or questionable help available. 

In 2020 (COVID) a couple of months of work were curtailed, I only did 1/3 or the normal number of mobile appointments and yet my yearly volume increased slightly, most of my appointments are here at home.  When it ceases to be fun, I'll just turn the key and walk back up to the house.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

230Dforme

Good afternoon 

Have been enjoying FF for several years,
just watching and learning 
Becoming a bit more involved lately as 
I want to buy a circle mill 
Was a structural steel contractor in Albany NY, just south of the Adirondacks
in upstate NY
In Lake George now doing tree work

Just read the post

You surely don't need advice from me,
that said, I believe that engagement