iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TK 1620

Started by bannerd, October 18, 2021, 11:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannerd

Hey all, ordered a TK1620 awhile ago, suppose to be done in JAN 2022, pretty excited about the entire thing.  Anyone have any perks or issues with theirs that I could be on the look out for?  Looking to make some sort of kit encase something goes "kapooey".  I did order a diesel engine so that should help out quite a bit.  I'm already booked with work so it should help cover the costs for whatever it is they want.

Grease
Bearings
Hoses
Belts
Red loctite :D

Let me know, Thanks!

Larry

A big safe to hold all the money your gonna make.  Of course I can get by with fruit jars.

New York, maybe snow skis instead of tires?

Drive belts and belts for the wheels.

They are very reliable mills.  My TK 2000 is eleven years old and the only time it was unable to saw was when the engine blew.  A couple of times I was limping along.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ladylake

I  have over  16000 hours on my B20. Breakdowns are few and far between plus most parts are off the shelf.  Good choice on the diesel, if you saw a lot it will pay for itself fast plus last a long time. You did good.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations. Are you sawing mobile or stationary? If mobile I will be glad to give you a list of the tools and equipment I take on a typical trip. Let me know and I'll reply. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

bannerd

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 18, 2021, 07:03:41 PM
  Congratulations. Are you sawing mobile or stationary? If mobile I will be glad to give you a list of the tools and equipment I take on a typical trip. Let me know and I'll reply. Good luck.
Both, my family members have roughly 1300 acres combined.  I'll be cutting a lot of ASH (hardwood) that has been sitting for about a year.  When they fell the trees the bark was gone, the ash borer is pretty destructive.  I've been looking at fuel cell-diesel/Toolbox combo for the back of my truck but I'm sure there is a lot more I need.  Right now I have the below list;
Chainsaw (and tool/file/spare chain/bar);
Gas/bar oil/engine oil
Water tank /dish soap(65gal);
SK 3/4" hand tool set
Air compressor with impact gun/chisel and sockets
Log book to calculate bf(Need to pay the land owners on each sale).
Jumper cables
Rope
Garrett Metal Detector(is there anything that can locate the depth(avg?)).
Spare tire for truck and sawmill
Car jack/bottle jack

Let me know if there is anything I need.  Also looking to buy a few carbide tipped blades, seems they cut longer in the hardwoods.

barbender

Sheesh, you're already better prepared than me and you don't even have your mill yet!😊
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

There will be a lot of overlap here with what you listed above but when I load up to go on a job here are the things I take:

Mill with key (I keep the key on my key ring all the time)
Blades
Toolbox with pretty complete set of sockets, end and boxed end wrenches, other hand tools
Spare belts (Drive, B57 blade belts, power feed belt, alternator belt)
Shovel
Spud bar (Floor scraper) for debarking logs
Tamping bar for digging in WV rocky soil
3 Cant hooks (2 are LogRite - one old one as mill special)
MagicHook and 2-6' 1/4" chains to move logs with mill hydraulics
Fire Extinguisher
12" dry wall scraper and shop brush to move sawdust
Chainsaw with specialty tools, mixed gas and bar oil
Leaf Blower
Spare tire w/4 way w/lug wrench
Old bumper jack
Mill Cover (in case I have to leave it overnight or it rains on us)
ATF in squirt bottle
5 gallon can of spare gas for mill
Padlock for mill (I use it as a safety pin when traveling and lock the coupler if I leave the mill)
Assorted short boards for leveling the feet and to drive low side of mill on to level it side to side.
Short axe and felling wedges (to back a band out if needed)
Tape Measure
Gloves
Ear muffs
WM Owners manual and cell phone
Assorted forms in big brief case
Cooler with water/soda and lunch (Trail mix)
Toilet Paper
Laptop computer with Excel spread sheets (At the end of the day/job, I plug in the sizes and quantities and the spreadsheet has the formulas built in to calculate the bf, rate, transport, and other fees for me.)

That's pretty much my standard kit. I might add a long cable and snatch block if I have any reason to think the logs need moving any distance but this is not a daily thing as the others are. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Here are some of the items I make sure I have in addition to WV Sawmiller's list.  I'm sure he carries many of these but overlooked them, some are my substitute items.  Many just stay packed in crates or toolboxes for easy loading and unloading.  Some items just stay in the truck.

Cheat sheet for efficient sawing, knowing starting points, to save time and maximize yield especially when sawing non-standard thicknesses - I keep it both in laminated hard copy and on my phone.
Safety glasses - mine have reader lenses in them
Diesel in a small 1/2 gallon garden sprayer
ATF in a 1/2 gallon garden sprayer
12 volt jump starter box
heavy canvas apron with pockets for tape measure
Mechanics magnetic tool and parts tray to hold tape measure, lumber crayon, small items on the mill
Battery powered handheld circular saw for times when more finesse is needed than a chain saw
Extra chainsaw chain and file (I'm sure Howard carries at least one of each)
Disposable foam earplugs and extra safety glasses for tail gunners who may need them
Extra gloves in case mine get wet, wear out, lost
In addition to leveling boards a couple 6x6s or 4x6s in case one end of the mill needs thicker support.
An extra lube tank with solution mixed for easy change out if the first gets empty
Sometimes I carry a couple dozen stickers and some dunnage to get the stack of lumber started
Channel Lock pliers, fence tool, nail puller, hammer and chisel for digging metal out of a log
Lumber crayons - I carry a couple different colors to mark logs, book matched pieces etc
Belt tension gage
A long handle corn shovel for moving sawdust.  The short D handle type will work but requires too much bending over.
A 3"x4"x60" board as a spacer for clamping flitches or other boards that need to be edged

I've mounted an umbrella on my mill for when I need some shade in hot weather so I carry the umbrella when needed.

One of my customers has a 12" drywall knife with a broom handle clamped to it so he doesn't have to bend over as far to scrape sawdust off.  I usually carry a broom.

You won't have enough tape measures.  I carry at least three 25' and one 50' tape measure

I keep blade roller guide bearings on hand.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Good points! I keep my cheat sheet magneted inside the cover of my control panel so it is there all the time. Same with spare gloves under the seat of my truck with my jumper cables,. safety tape, etc.

A battery powered circular saw is on my list of items to get as I figure it will be handy to cut up stickers at the site and easier than my chainsaw I currently use. Also it would be handy to to remove a partially sawed flitch if a band was broken or stuck and hard to get out. 

I just bought one of those Crescent style 19" nail pullers at a local flea market that goes in my toolbox.

If I am sawing near a customers home I take along a couple of 8'X10' tarps to put under the sawdust chute to reduce the sawdust on their grass.
Howard Green

bannerd

Wow a lot of good info here.

What about option on getting logs to the loader arms?  just use cant hooks and roll them off a log pile or does it make sense to haul a skid steer in with forks?

SawyerTed

Customers have to prepare and stage the logs so that they can be rolled to the sawmill loader arms using cant hooks.  There's another current thread on hauling equipment to handle logs.  I rarely do it but I have done it.  Customers either have to provide the equipment to handle logs or stage the logs so they can be handled.  To me it is like hiring a painter to paint your living room.  He will expect you to move the furniture or will require a fee to do so.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

DDW_OR

that tow vehicle co you have?

Flatbed truck with an ATV across the bed.
I could haul 2 ATV's with mine

that is a Jumping Jack trailer

"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!