iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many board feet in a standing tree?

Started by Sod saw, February 06, 2022, 01:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sod saw

If there is a log laying on the ground, it is not to difficult to measure the small end as well as the length to come up with the useful board feet within that tree using one scale or another.

When the tree is still standing, to me, it seems more of a challenge to estimate the number of potential board feet.

My question is:  is there a rule of thumb that you use to determine how many useful feet are within that standing Tree?  

I understand that there may be hidden defects, rot, metal, bad grain, etc.   However;      On average, when walking around the woods and measuring the diameter and estimating the height, how do you all come up with an answer?

Other than "VooDoo"
LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

stavebuyer

The diameter is normally measured at 4.5' from the ground(Diameter at Breast Height or DBH) and the usable height in feet or number 16' logs is estimated. There are tables that give the corresponding volume base on diameter and height. Most taper variance is the first 16' log and logs above that are assumed to have a uniform taper of 2" per 16' in height. The taper in the first log is called the FORM CLASS. Most Hardwoods in the eastern US are generally form class 78 with exception of Yellow Poplar which usually is form Class 80

stavebuyer

mudfarmer

To piggy back on what stavebuyer said, you can get a "Biltmore stick" which will help estimate dbh and # of 16' logs

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sod saw

Mudfarmer, Yes a Biltmore stick is an easy way to estimate the height etc.  Thanks for the reminder.

Stavebuyer and Jeff,  Thanks for the links to the forum tool box.  A great place.

Thanks to you all.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

wkf94025

The FF tree value calculator only covers a dozen hardwoods.  Any such calculator that would cover Doug Fir, Redwood, Cedar, etc.?
Lucas 7-23 swing arm mill, DIY solar kilns (5k BF), Skidsteer T76 w/ log grapple, F350 Powerstroke CCSB 4x4, Big Tex 14LP and Diamond C LPX20 trailers, Stihl saws, Minimax CU300, various Powermatic, Laguna, Oneida, DeWalt, etc.  Focused on Doug Fir, Redwood, white and red oak, Claro walnut.

Sailor Mars

Carry around one of these and/Or a biltmore stick. Minus any visible defects such as conks because it's evidence of decay/rot 

Forestry undergrad, forest tech and trail crew work

ehp

Once you do it enough you get pretty good at it , for my area the biggest thing is make sure if someone else scaled the standing trees and put in a different type of log scale like Ontario log rule and your selling everything in Dolye as that makes a big difference and another is guys say the tree is 70 feet tall of saw logs and its only got 56 feet that the mill can saw because of crook . Here we have a sheet that if you know the DBH and the height of use able wood that can be sawn  the sheet gives you the footage and that sheet is put out by the govt so its fairly good 

rank

Don't forget to apply the 50% rule to the final estimate.

The foresters that marked the 118 ash trees for me estimated 22,600 to 25,000 bdft.  I'm over half way into that project and it's looking like I'm only getting 14,000 bdft by the time I buck out the sweep and other defects.

Anderson

moodnacreek

:D The answer to how many board foot in a tree is  :D all of them. There, I said it.   This could go on forever. Some where between the tree stick and the mill scale of the cut logs lies the real answer. Experiance is the key to the best estimate.

ehp

Around here where you buy standing timber you need to have a pretty good idea on what the scale of the standing timber is or first your going to go broke cause you paid to much for the bush and second if you cut the volume by 50% your never going to win a bid ever , its a pretty tight game you play . Biggest thing is known how to read the tree for grade , tree is standing so its hard for how big of sap ring , is the tree wormy , defects  as that plays huge on what the timber is worth.  And if your going off a forester marked bush know how the forester marks cause I have seen a huge difference in their scale of tree volume . It's all a game and they play it as well , One forester down here marks with a huge over run on his scale like up over 50% on lots of jobs so the guys bidding on the bush pay a set price for the bush but because the volume according to the forester is lower than what it really there the price for the bush is alot higher per thousand cause the logger knows he is going to get alot more volume than what is suppose to be there  so then the forester goes around bragging about what he got per thousand on the bush he marked . It's all a game but you better know how the game is played or its not going to end up good

Ed_K

ehp is right on  :P you need to know what the bush really measures. I finally beat the mills bidding on the last bush by $148.00 it took me 5 yrs to figure out what was going on. Most of my jobs before were private lots were the forester called on me or a landowner called me.
Ed K

Gary Davis

8)I haven't been able to find  feet on any of my trees 8)

Les Staley

The same amount of board feet as laying down.🤓
East Jordan Michigan, Pinedale Wyoming and St Maries Idaho.  Honey, I'm HOME!

Sod saw

This forum's calculator's are nice to use.  Thanks for the reminder.

I now have a builtmore stick and will use it often as I walk around.

Gary, as for your trees without feet, what keeps them all from falling over?   If I dig down far enough, my trees have little toes that tickle the neighboring trees toes.

Thank you all for your help with this.

Thank You Sponsors!