iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidding with a tractor and 3pt winch

Started by woodman52, May 01, 2022, 04:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodman52

Here is a video of skidding with a farm tractor and a pto powered 3pt winch. I am looking to see what you think and to be of help to those doing small scale logging. I use chain chokers and show how they are set up. I don't get into much detail on any one thing, if you would like more or closer detail of any aspect of how I do what I do let me know and I will try to help out.

https://youtu.be/7050utCvO-I
Cooks HD3238 mill, loader tractor +, small wood processor, Farmi 501 winch, Wallenstein LX115 forwarding trailer, 60 ac hardwood, certified tree farm

Walnut Beast

thecfarm

Yes a nice video. 
I usually put a stick of wood under the logs so I can get the chains out.
The only thing I would change is putting my pant legs on the out side of my boots.  ;D
Nice job on putting the hook low so the log will roll. Helps out on limbing too. What was on the ground is up in the air now.
I only have a 40hp tractor to haul out logs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

Nice video. I knew Ray would like the chain wrap to roll the log. :)

When you get to the landing it might be easier, and less likely to get you smacked by the choker as you mentioned, if after you drop the logs pull forward 15' or so letting the cable play out. Then you have room to work at the hitch. Undo the choker hooks but not the sliders then walk back to the tractor and winch in the cable pulling all the chokers out from under the logs without having to stand right over the tensioned cable.

gg

Gary Davis

Old Greenhorn

Um, nice unit, but we don't do it that way here. As a member you need to understand the rules and postings such as yours go in the for sale section after you have agreed to the sale terms and stated so.

Admin Note:  Previous post was improper For Sale Ad that violated Forestry Forum rules and was removed.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!