iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Square foot to board foot

Started by bulldozerjoe, May 14, 2022, 10:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldozerjoe

As my part time saw mill bussiness grows, I'm getting some calls about sawing boards, for square footage.. todays calls was I need 700 square feet.. what's everybody's equation on that.. percentage over, and figureing out square footage to board feet.. is there a equation for that? Thanks
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000
Sthil 021-028super-029-066

LeeB

A board foot is 1 square foot that is 1 inch thick. Width in inches x thickness in inches x length in inches divided by 144, or W" x T" x L' divided by 12. 
1.5" x 8" x 10' = 6.67 ft/2 
1.5" x 8" = 12", 10' x 12" 120", 120" x 12" / 144" = 10 BF
1.5" x 8" x 10' / 12 = 10 BF.

The square footage is just a measure of the surface area. (Width x Length.)
Board footage is a measurement of volume. (Width x Thickness x Length.) 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

barbender

If the square footage is for 1" material, it's easy because board foot and square foot are the same at 1". 
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

What Barbender said.  I don't usually talk in terms of board feet with customers as they have no idea what that means, or worse think they know what that means in that a 4x12 1 foot long is a board foot.  If you start to talk rough sawn vs nominal sizing it gets even worse.  Just ask them for the exact dimensions they need and work your pricing internally from there.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

Usually the customer is doing siding, paneling or flooring if they are talking square feet.  I just ask what they are working on.  I'm able to guide them better if I know.  Then I do the board foot calculations if necessary.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

moodnacreek

A 12" x12" timber is one board foot per inch. The common 1x12 is one board foot per foot, a 2x6 = one board foot per foot. On rough cut lumber a 2x6 cut 1 1/2" thick is not a board foot per foot because it never was 2" thick to start with, it will be 3/4 board foot per foot. Just a few examples. We learned this in school in shop class.

WV Sawmiller

I never used bf measurements till I got my sawmill and had to learn all about it. I made an excel spreadsheet for a tally sheet/invoice and included the computation which I list on the sheet:

Thickness (in inches) X Width (in Inches) X length (in ft) divided by 12.

Some people list the length in inches also and divide by 144 which is the same thing.

Since most people can't envision bf very well I tell them a pick up bed stacked nearly to the bed height of 8' lumber is about 500 bf or a 5'X10' trailer stacked tight to 20" high is 1,000 bf.

My customers are often farmers and old rural folks and they typically ask me how much it cost to buy or saw per thousand.

I do tell them if they are buying or sawing 1" lumber bf & sf are the same. The ones who mess with my mind are the ones who want linear ft. I can compute it but it takes a few minutes.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

My prices are all by the board foot, but most of my customers don't know that. I convert everything, if someone wants 2x10x12', I just give them the price per board. Off the top of my head, that would be $20 at $1/bf.   
Too many irons in the fire

sealark37

A square foot is a unit of area.  A board foot is a unit of volume.

terrifictimbersllc

A board foot is about 0.6 gallons, if that helps.  :laugh:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

Even my live edge slabs are basically priced by the bf. I estimate the bf I would expect if I edged the lumber and price accordingly. I may adjust the price for character or defect accordingly (I.e Whatever the mood strikes me at the moment which is also based on the customers charm and good looks or crankiness. ::))
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

btulloh

Well, since we're getting into unit conversion, maybe @Don P can give us the formula to convert bd/ft into bd/smoots.  lol   I bet if you started using Smoots for units when talking to customers, they'd be motivated about getting comfortable with bd/ft.
HM126

moodnacreek

An 8'pick up bed, or shorter if 8' stuff is 32 bd. ' between the wheel wells when 1 " high, 1 1/2" stuff, half again as much bd. ', 2" double, etc.  When you sell in your yard you learn to figure the load in your head. When I started I tried to measure each board, that method didn't last long. I also used a framing square to get the bd. ' like I was taught, that also took to long.

Don P

Pi are round, cornbread are square. The rest is just crumbs.
I've lived in Smoot, well, more like the suburbs of Smoot  :D

Southside

Original Smoot value or the gravity corrected unit conversion? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

I ordered 5 board feet of strawberries at the berry stand, the deputy standing there threatened to arrest me for being a wise guy.  He wouldn't allow to explain that if a board foot is 0.6 gallons, I ordered 3 gallons worth of strawberries.  The owners just thought I am weird....
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

btulloh

Quote from: Southside on May 15, 2022, 07:18:56 PM
Original Smoot value or the gravity corrected unit conversion?
Oh, right. Southside is the Smoot expert, him being from up there in the neighborhood. What is the plural form?  Smeet?  As in 265.348 board smeet?
(I apologize for rattling your cage, Don P)
HM126

trapper

I use the program in the toolbox right here on the forum.  Evens tallies everything up and gives you a total board feet and how much to charge the customer.  and can be printed out.  Have it loaded on my laptop so I can use it when no internet is available.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!