iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bought a strange 78" Carpenters Level -What is it?

Started by widetrackman, June 18, 2022, 12:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

widetrackman

Bought a 78" 8 vial strange looking  Level that has a moveable roller approx !/2"x1 1/4 on a bracket on each end but hang on opposite sides. It is marked EXACT Level #23060 Mfg by the Hyde Group It is in nice shape and could not resist buying for $15 at the pawn shop. I got it to check lumber and sawmill alignment but would have to remove rollers because one roller would hold me off from being level. What is this level made for? ??? ???

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

widetrackman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 18, 2022, 02:58:55 AM
Any photos? ;D
I will try for pic's. On further fiddle around with  the rollers I found you could move them out of the way and not effect the level laying flat on either side. Yea I know confusing :)

jpassardi

LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

moodnacreek

Sounds like you roll it along a beam or some surface rather than sliding it. Bet it wasn't cheap when new.

Don P

The only other thought is plumbing, is it holding one end up 1/8" or 1/4" per foot?

rusticretreater

I love old tools so I searched a bit online last night.  Couldn't find any info or pics.  But given its length, it seems logical to have that as an aide to slide it along a beam or wall.  If you are on one end, the other end could get kinda heavy.

Once you learn how to use it, you probably can move it or jiggle the end to have the roller move out of the way so that it then lays level.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

widetrackman

Quote from: rusticretreater on June 18, 2022, 08:47:11 AM
I love old tools so I searched a bit online last night.  Couldn't find any info or pics.  But given its length, it seems logical to have that as an aide to slide it along a beam or wall.  If you are on one end, the other end could get kinda heavy.

Once you learn how to use it, you probably can move it or jiggle the end to have the roller move out of the way so that it then lays level.
Yes, that is the case. They will both move to one side or one on one side and one on the other side. I searched the Net also for quite a time on levels and never saw Any with these rollers. A thought is that it is a Masons level and rolled on top score on long brick walls. It is heavy and appears to be Mahogany, maybe Cherry.

Tom King

A 78" level is for hanging house doors.  I remember seeing the one with the rollers, but it's been so long ago that I forgot what they were for.  I never needed them, so moved on and forgot about them.

edited to add:  Google found it:

Sands Level & Tool Co. SLMA78R 77-3/4" Professional Door Jamb Level (8 Vials) - - Amazon.com

widetrackman

Quote from: Tom King on June 18, 2022, 09:44:08 AM
A 78" level is for hanging house doors.  I remember seeing the one with the rollers, but it's been so long ago that I forgot what they were for.  I never needed them, so moved on and forgot about them.

edited to add:  Google found it:

Sands Level & Tool Co. SLMA78R 77-3/4" Professional Door Jamb Level (8 Vials) - - Amazon.com
Thanks Tom, you got it. Why do they have the rollers or how do you use them?

Tom King

I have no idea.  I don't know of anyone that uses them for anything, or even owns a level with them.  Whatever they're for, it doesn't look like there's a great need for them.  I guess if there was a big hump to check plumb top and bottom on something, but if you have that problem with a door jamb, there's something else that probably needs addressing anyway.

A 78" level is good for plumbing and straightening a door jamb.

My guess for the idea of it is to set the bottom and top of a jamb in place properly plumb with them, and then straighten the in between.  I built new houses for 33 years, and never used a prehung door, but don't think it would have saved me much time.  The old carpenters that have worked for me always thought it was a real luxury to have a 78" level, so they didn't have to run a straightedge to use.

farmfromkansas

We used to use a straight board with a block on each end to plumb walls,  would kind of eliminate the crown from throwing your level off.  Thinking the same purpose for the rollers.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!