iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Weather 2023

Started by SwampDonkey, January 01, 2023, 01:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I woke up with a temp of 4° and feeling much better.  ;D
High noon in the 20's and the temp will keep going up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodroe

Yup, glad that was just a one nighter kind of thing. Overnight at 0* and 
no wind seemed mild in comparison to -20* and wind blowing 50 at times.
And no frost quakes last night either. 
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

9F here now, has gone up almost 15 degrees since this morning. Overcast skies now, suppose to see flurries. Just came in from scooping that hard packed snow from along the edges of the driveway. About a 3 hr workout on the shoulders. :D Use it to my advantage, walk on hard pack snow ramps to throw it over to side. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

15F and snowing now. Back to the snow grind. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

It got up to 44° here today, and it's slowly creeping back down!

Oh well, it is Winter.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Saw 14 turkeys cross the field today, headed to the cedar swamp.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wisconsitom

I could've bagged a dozen with my truck bumper the other day, coming out of our land.

They get out of the way....sort of.  Always a few that want to challenge you over who actually has the right of way.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

thecfarm

I see them cross the road quite often on the way home. Them things are pretty smart or know, he's on his way home and he is not slowing down. They take flight every time.
On the way to work I will slow down for them.  ;)
Why be in a hurry for someplace you don't want to go.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wisconsitom

I got nothing against the bald eagle, but Ben Franklin was on to something in suggesting the wild turkey be our national bird.  Tough, smart survivors, that's for sure.

SwampDonkey

A turkey sighting is not a big deal, except for the fact they are not native here. The amazing thing is how they have naturalized to this harsh climate and continue to grow in numbers. And that now we have an annual turkey hunting season. :D

Yeah those turkeys have been hanging around my cousins Christmas tree farm. That's only 1/3 of the number you can see on occasion cross the road from his farm to go to the cedar swamp. Last winter the garbage truck flushed about 38 of them in one flock that were in the field above the house, the sky was full of turkeys and they flew a good 1/2 a mile across 3 fields. I guess you had to be there, a garbage truck rolling down the road overcome by flying turkeys, too funny. :D

SwampDonkey

The other day a neighbor had a fire incident with his pellet stove. The road was stuffed with wind driven snow and so fire trucks could not come. Some firemen came on snowmobiles to see what happened. They blame a down draft on possibly blowing a spark into the pellet hopper and igniting pellets. We had terrible wind with that cold snap. Soon after that the government sent the pay loader out and plow behind. They had to remove wind driven snow 3 times that day. Just a day or two before that his barn collapsed from snow load.

His brother has a similar style barn, and he got his but into gear with help from his family to get the snow off of it. They are steel quonset hut style barns.

thecfarm

I have 20 now.
Looks like it will be double that before the day is done. 
Guess I don't need all those layers of clothes I had on the other day.

SwampDonkey

20F here also, some snow falling to.

Ljohnsaw

A little rain down here (58°) and a bit of snow up the hill.

Sunny and breezy morning.  The snow on the trees will probably be gone by the afternoon.  Looks like 6-12" fell.

Further up the hill they got a bit more.  Most of the cameras are offline this morning.  Snowpack is sitting at better than 200% of normal.  If we have no more precip, we would be almost average for the year.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, cleared off another 2-3" here this morning. Then been squalls and a little sun now and again. Looks like a more substantial snow for Friday. The plow has never removed that 3" yet today, more ice on top of ice in the making by tramping it down.

woodroe

Speaking of ice, north side roof eaves here are heavily laden not so much from heat loss 
but repeated rain on snow events. 
Probably 4-5" thick on the lower edges (asphalt) so with melting in the forecast got the ladder out and did some chipping on it to prevent ice dam scenarios. 
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

thecfarm

I saw some melting going on today.
Not at my place. 
Never thought it would happen again after Friday and Saturday.  ;D

wisconsitom

11:00pm-ish...thunder, lightning and wind driven rain.  Radar looked like sleet maybe up at farm.  Go there tomorrow, skid some sticks out of the plantation.

Hope it ain't too ooey gooey.

SwampDonkey

Was 24F here, but the sun was melting around exposed gravel and the porch roof where the sun hit on the steel. The sun in that big window up stairs drove the temp up there to 90F. I closed the vertical blind in the dormer window. Had two windows up all afternoon until dark, no fire at all since mid morning. Never cooled off much, but a nice breeze near the window. Amazing how windows heat this place. The afternoon sun, when it's sunny, is brutal.  :D

2F here this morning and a morning fire on. Won't need another stick in until 6 pm.

thecfarm

I got maybe 2 inches of snow last night. 24° now.
Was just about 30 yesterday with sun until late afternoon.

SwampDonkey

22F here and just a skiff of snow over night. Brushed the flu and cleaned out the ashes this morning. Not much of anything in the flu, and that is 43 feet tall.

It was 24F yesterday and I had two north windows open upstairs all day and no fire after 9 am. Still about 80F with windows open. :)

sawguy21

7C right now which means close to 45F, almost warm enough to sit outside with a beer if I had one. Not much snow in the valley bottom but I can imagine what the bush roads are like. The loggers are hauling at night but that won't last much longer. Speaking of turkeys we are seeing wild ones now, apparently they are immigrating from Washington and Idaho. Ring neck pheasants have pretty much disappeared, the times are changing and not necessarily for the better. :-\
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Was 38F here today after the sun came out for the afternoon. Snow tomorrow night.

Magicman

We are in for a thrashing for the next several hours.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!