iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad Blade

Started by randy d, February 06, 2023, 08:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy d

Today it was warm enough to saw some Basswood logs. We started off with a sharp new blade my wife was sawing the first log she told me some things wrong> I tried a cut, saw cut real wavy, change the speed same thing changed the blade, saw cut fine. So can this blade be sent to resharp and fixed or just scrap it out.   Randy

Stephen1

I would definitly call the supplier and talk to them about the blade. Some suppliers will replace the blade.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Patrick NC

I got a new blade once that didn't have any set in one side. It cut so bad that I had to stop and cut the slab off with a chainsaw to get the blade out. Could be something as simple as that.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

randy d

Wow that was fast we had sent many blades in for re-sharp but this is the first real problem we have had May give them a call and see what they have to say, With a different blade we had a good winter 30 degree day of sawing. Thanks for the quick replies. Randy

Southside

It also could be something as simple as a stone in the first couple inches of bark.  I put a brand new band on once and hit 5 nails within 6" of the first cut.  That log got removed and went right to the trash pile.  

Try sawing at sunset if you want to see just how much sand, flint, and other debris is actually on a clean log, it will surprise you. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Larry

I've had a couple of blades that wouldn't cut right.  Most were because the set was off.  I had one that looked to be sharpened perfect, and the set was perfect.  Put it on my concrete floor and the blade somehow had a twist in it.  I could see that the blade was not laying flat on the floor.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Crossroads

I fought an entire box of blades once with the notion that new blades couldn't be the issue. Turned out the set was way off in the whole box. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

barbender

Frozen sand makes a blade throw almost as many sparks as my band grinder😬😂
Too many irons in the fire

Peter Drouin

I have had to sharpen and set the whole box before. One box you could see where when they cut the blade to make it. And the cutter was dull, A small chip was missing at the top of all the teeth, The whole box was like that. ::)

They worked find after I fix them.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

I used to buy my blades by the pallet full. I've had a whole pallet of them bad. Sent them back and ordered another pallet full. They sent the same pallet of blades back, they didn't realize I had put little marks on each box that only I would know. I charged them the same price to sharpen and set them as they would have charged me if I sent them in to be sharpened. We all have bad days and make mistakes. What separates the good from the bad is how it is handled after.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

randy d

Talked with customer service at Wood Mizer  explained what had happened and he said I would have a credit on my next re-sharp.

ladylake

I've been getting some new blades in with really light set.  Why, yes they leave less sawdust on the cant but don't saw good.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Percy

I have a rather quick setter(Suffolk dual tooth) and have gotten in the habit of setting new blades right out of the box. Perhaps why I never had this problem. I'll check my next new box before I set them. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!